Manitoba goose hunt

Nova

5 year old buck +
I am putting this in the successful hunts forum only because we successfully made it home. It was a good trip but the weather really got in our way. Day 1 4" of snow and windy, day 2 steady rain all day, day 3 8" of snow and blinding winds, day 4 was clear but the temp was 11 degrees at shooting time. The geese didn't leave the roost until 10am and we can only hunt until noon in Canada that week. Day 5 woke up to more snow.

It wasn't a total bust, we got geese and ducks, but it was miserable with wet clothes and gear for the week with temps only topping out at 38 degrees. We made the best of it, found what birds were still there and had a good time with family and friends. A couple pics from the week.
IMG_3754.jpgIMG_3778.jpgIMG_3787.jpgIMG_20181004_112444131.jpgIMG_20181004_124828131_HDR.jpg

Crazy weather right there! Not what you expected around the 1st of October I bet!! Made for some great snow pics though!

Great pictures and I love your opening sentence.

As a deer hunter who gave it up
Completely to hunt birds for 10 years before returning to deer. I can tell you northern hardcore waterfowlers don’t get the credit they deserve.

I’ve pulled on waders with ice in the boot from yesterday. If that happened to me “today” deer hunting I’d go back to bed. And I damn sure wouldn’t even be there to pull them on to go duck hunting today.

One thing I do miss about duck hunting is we could sit together and talk smack about the shooter. Just can’t do that with deer.

As a deer hunter who gave it up
Completely to hunt birds for 10 years before returning to deer. I can tell you northern hardcore waterfowlers don’t get the credit they deserve.

I’ve pulled on waders with ice in the boot from yesterday. If that happened to me “today” deer hunting I’d go back to bed. And I damn sure wouldn’t even be there to pull them on to go duck hunting today.

One thing I do miss about duck hunting is we could sit together and talk smack about the shooter. Just can’t do that with deer.
By day 3 I could really feel my age showing on this hunt. This has been an annual trip for about 15 years and this year the weather had me worn out by mid week. We almost never have ponds frozen and snow on the ground and some days we are in layout blinds in T-shirts. It's either climate change or I am getting older and soft. I hate to concede to either one...