Managed Forest Law program advice

Lee Haakenson

5 year old buck +
This weekend I am meeting with a forester to write a plan and enroll im the Wisconsin MFL program. Do any of you have advice on questions to ask, things to watch out for, items to make sure are written into the plan? For those of you in MFL, how flexible is your plan and how much oversight have you had from the DNR? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My land was already enrolled when I purchased it and all mandatory cuts and plantings were already completed so I don't have much experience with the processes. The DNR forester offered to come out and walk the place with me but I have yet to take him up on that.

I added a tag to your post. Click on where is says "wisconsin mlf" under the thread title. This will bring up a couple other threads where there is some good info on the MFL program.

I moved this to the general section to increase the views. Good luck this weekend.

I signed up in 2012 and have a small area (15 acres) to log in 2022. The neighbors will be logging in 2019 or 2020 and the local DNR said I can do mine at the same time. I think it's a great program to reduce taxes and get a pro plan drawn up. Did you purchase your property on Oct 2015 Lee? I think you may have bought it from me, your name sounds familiar.

I signed up in 2012 and have a small area (15 acres) to log in 2022. The neighbors will be logging in 2019 or 2020 and the local DNR said I can do mine at the same time. I think it's a great program to reduce taxes and get a pro plan drawn up. Did you purchase your property on Oct 2015 Lee? I think you may have bought it from me, your name sounds familiar.
I sure did - over by Connersville? I bought 30 and another guy bought 100?

Yep, that's me. You probably know Pete quite well. Let me know if you have any questions about the property.

Yep, that's me. You probably know Pete quite well. Let me know if you have any questions about the property.
Sure do. Thats pretty cool/random. We just had the hardwoods area logged this summer and cleaned up a bunch of brush/cottonwoods in the planted area via NRCS funding. It will be enrolled in MFL this January. If I remember correct, you were in MN. Do you own any other land in the area?

I've got property in Jackson County in a good QDM area with a lot of landowner cooperation. It was always a battle with those Cottonwoods.... Good cover but they came in crazy thick and not part of the contract. I probably have some old cam pics from the property somewhere of some nice bucks. I'd be interested to know how it's been going lately with the buck sightings. I was always trying to get the neighbors on the same page with letting the small bucks grow a few more years.

^^^That is pretty cool finding each other on here and being able to share info.

When we enrolled land in MFL, we had the option of excluding a few acres to be used as a future building site. As it was explained, it's much easier to do this at the beginning of the contract than to go back at some point in the future and amend the contract. Even if you don't plan to build, the next owner might benefit from this and the RE tax on a few acres is minimal.