All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Swede

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
Has anybody tried planting this? I was thinking about trying this just because I like experimenting with different plants. I have a food plot book that the author says it is his favorite brassica. It has a really long maturity 160 days. I'm wondering if it would be able to choke the weeds out for that long of a growing season without spraying.

Rutabagas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turnips.

Rutabagas?

I think you are right, I never realized they were the same. A swede is a name for a Swedish turnip. Anybody have any experience planting Rutabagas??:emoji_thinking:

I planted some in a mix last fall with ptt, kale and radish. Planted 8/5. Was planted with throw and mow as no till. My maturity was 60 to 90 days. Had an unusually cool summer, many nights in the 40's. I did not get very good results and overseeded cereal rye 9/21 and 10/3. Did not get much rye either. Will see in the spring how the rye really did. I did not cultipack as a test. I think that these culprits did not help either. When I plant again, I will cultipack for sure.
One more thing, I had planted turnips only before in that field, got great germination, but that got demolished early.
To be continued.

Attachments

• Far Field Turkey.JPG
    Far Field Turkey.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 10
I think rutabagas are much longer day than ptt and slower to start out. Good addition to venison vegetable soup!