Macfree, Sweet Sixteen, golden delcious, and siberian crabapples seedlings

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Looking to add macfree, sweet sixteen, and maybe nova ez gro to the herd at home. Any info or opinions on the tree. Looking for disease free especially cedar apple rust. Topworking a few trees, debating doing golden delicious and maybe granny smith. Anyone has golden delicious on here and has cedar rust in their area? How bad are we dealing with here? Granny smith is doing ok, but had had curly leaves both years its been in the ground. Seems to grow decent though. I do water often, but haven't had a bucket to get deep soaks in, just spray about 7 gallons a weeks if mother nature isn't cooperating.

Thinking of using siberian crabapple seedlings for rootstock from saint lawrence nursery. Anyone use them? Grafting trees like droptine, crossbow, franklin cider, AWHO, Violi's, and winter wildlife to them. Most sre considered crabaaples some are touted as siberian. Anybody just let a couple grow on their own, no grafting?

Although pretty early, anyone got sweet sixteen, noza ez grow, AWHO, Violi's, or winter wildlife scions in the spring? Buying those trees, but wouldn't mind topworking some dolgo and anty seedlings I have planted at camp.

I may have Nova easy grow I’ll have to look at my tree it maybe still to small to cut scions from only 2nd year in the ground and I could only get it on dwarfing rootstock so it’s not grown very aggressively for me.

I might have Novamac also

I can hook you up with Sweet Sixteen in spring, just PM me.

I really like Granny Smith, it’s been good DR for me here. It is one of my favorites for eating and it is a slow dropper hangs into December for me, it has been a biannual producer. Has grown very well on M111 in loamy clay.

I like GH and have a few, small orange crabapples that hang into spring very slow drop but super showy tree when fruited up. Heavy producer every year.

Thinking of using siberian crabapple seedlings for rootstock from saint lawrence nursery. Anyone use them? Grafting trees like droptine, crossbow, franklin cider, AWHO, Violi's, and winter wildlife to them. Most sre considered crabaaples some are touted as siberian. Anybody just let a couple grow on their own, no grafting?
I have dozens of Siberian crab apple seedlings on my land from the days when a local NWTF chapter had a habitat program where you could sign up for 25 trees/yr free by just being a member. They are mixed in with red splendor and a few others. The Siberians do make a full sized tree 25-30 ft tall and are very hardy and grow quickly. Most fruit is bird sized though and hang well into winter. For turkeys they are great. I do have one the crabs are 1" to 1-1/4" dia but that tree never drops much at all. I call it my EMS (Emergency Meal Source) crab as the turkeys and other climbing critters hammer it later on during a harsh winter.

If I was focused on deer hunting would rather use ranetka or dolgo seedlings as they drop more early to mid season and have a bit larger fruit. Really like my ranetka as Sandbur likes his dolgo seedlings. For turkeys, Siberians probably are better. My $0.02

Last edited:
Just having crab apples on your farm is a plus, even if the fruit is bit smaller. I have so many crab apple trail cam pics over the years, the deer still eat them !Westport 10-21# 130.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks,

Novamac might be the same as macfree possibly. Have to look into it.

Might keep granny smith as is. A few others are going though. Even considering topworking my 30-06 too.

Siberians are mostly for grafting. Trying to keep the ordering down to one site. Mehrabyan nursery is about as close to one stop as I have seen so far. Cummins might be right there too, theyre pricier though.

I had a redfree on order last year, but asked that vendor to send me a 2nd empire if they had an extra. And they did.

Oldest kid is on the daydream wagon again about putting a house in my foodplot. So no more at home. Mght even dig up 2 or 3 on the south end of a row. He'll be putting a driveway there. Luckily, those trees are dolgo and AWHO and winter wildlife. They're on B118 and anty too, so up at camp theyll do ok.

rocknstumps,

actually the siberians might be about perfect for a few trees I want up there. Once the snow is about 18 inches, the deer are out of there. They go to a local lake and huddle in the dense confier trees.

Was looking for a smaller crabapple to feed grouse and snowshoe hare. Hoping to see grey squirrel up there someday too. They're in the state forest not so far away in the mature beech trees.

Siberian is a very hardy tree and can survive tough winters. Red splendor is also great for habitat and listed as good to zone 3. Others on here have mentioned Zumi crab as great for grouse but have not planted any. If you are trying to stick with ordering from one nursery and all they have is Siberian, well that is still a great choice. Believe many of the named crabs like Dolgo and others are really a variety of Siberian crab anyway.

Last edited:
Macfree has been a middling tree for me. Not as good as enterprise, liberty, goldrush and Arkansas black planted at the same time. Better than Jonafree, dolgo and freedom. I’m not sure I would plant another one, it’s just ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have novamac and nova ez gro both I won’t have much scion wood but a little I’ll hold off pruning those two until January and collect the scion wood.

Be glad to take those scions. Also looking for scions of the same trees I am ordering. Got 39 at home, 13 at camp, and 5 on farmland I regular. Still got 3 in pots and 2 or 3 more in a nursery bed.

Getting 6 or 7 trees from them and 8 or so anty roostock and maybe 4 siberian rootstock. Got 2 new foodplot / trees sites I am improving and adding a tree or two to my spots and calling it good. Maybe.......

tony,

I've seen deer eat everything from small seed heads to pumpkins insects gutpiles cow poop even seen them chewing a bit on a wooden treestand. Any apple is way up on that list. Even been trying to promote mulberry. Deer love it at home and it seeds itself once established.

My red delicious is CAR resistant really pretty good tree not great flavored apple to be sure but the deer eat them just fine mine drops apples over a long period of time.

Kinda feel bad about something I did last year. Removed a red delicious I got from tractor supply and just thre it in the woods. Johny apple seed would be smacking my butt with that pot he uses as a hat........ Might have to redeem myself with grafting a red delicious on the golden delicious.