LP Smartside

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I guess this is a longshot, but looking for some advice from any carpenters on here. I moved in a old granary to convert into cabin on my property. One of my winter projects was to put new siding on. I decided to go with the smartsiding. Well it turns out you are supposed to prime all cut edges. This is going to be a pain in the cold weather. My only thought was maybe I could just put it up and try priming all the seams once the weather warms up. Or possibly any ideas from people that work with it in the cold weather.

Just use a spray can of good primer. Kilz or the like. It’ll be golden.

Youd probably be fine until spring and then you could caulk all your seams. This is a good idea anyway. I have LP SS and we just had a can of paint/primer mix the color of the siding sitting next to the saw. We just painted it immediately after the cut was made and then put it up. We left a 1/4 inch gap and caulked the gap.

Its nice stuff. Youll like the siding! But yeah... i dont know if you can do any painting or caulking being your talking sub zero temps. Deal with it in spring, I dont see any other way.

That is what I was thinking, just run a brush up and down each joint a couple times. Do you have any idea on how fast the joints close up? Hopefully not in a couple months.

I live in a historical town that mandates old wood siding, windows, doors etc. add salt air to that and I can tell you it’s best to use the best primer you can before painting. If possible I paint all 6 sides of a piece of wood. Primed first with Zinsser Bin white shellac. (Just throw the brush away). ;).

Personally I’d wait until you get the temperature you need to seal it. Also I highly recommend spending more for stainless nails. Once a nail rusts away (and it will) there is an open hole for water and rot....

I've installed alot of it. At least 100 homes. By far my favorite siding as long as it's prefinished! Hopefully you're getting it pre finished, there's a few brands out there of finish depending on your local supplier. I prefer diamond kote

Don't wait to paint the cuts, they generally give you a few cans like pvc glue comes in with a brush attached to cap. Keep a can in warm area and one by saw and rotate cans as they need to be thawed.

Caulking you could wait till spring but I've done many in middle of winter and works fine as long as caulk is warm until use.

For your butt joints, I prefer to put a piece of aluminum coil stock (8"x8") behind the joint lapping onto previous row so that you only see the aluminum in gap when finished. For gap size use your square as a spacer tool. They might send some plastic h channel to use but personally I throw those away as look cheesy.

During the ordering, make sure that you order 5/4 trim NOT 4/4 trim. That quarter inch is a big deal when caulking your siding to trim, will save much frustration. And nails must be ring shanks. (Assuming your using a siding specific nail gun). Often the lumber yards mistakenly send out the smooth which are for cement board siding, with smart side you definitely want ring shanks. And if you where considering nailing by hand, forget that idea right away.

One last tip, paint a few coils of nails ahead of time that you'll use on your top siding rows and for trim where nails are going to be exposed. Paint doesn't like to stick to cold metal so if they already have a coat of paint on them it's much easier to dap (q tip) a little more paint on the exposed nails to finish/ seal.

Alright some good advice. This is just stuff from menards, no idea what type of finish is on it. It is just like a tan primer I think. It will be hand nailed. Not out to win any races, just figured I would work on it in when I have free time.

I did notice that they had 2 different types in the bin at menards. Some has a groove for self aligning and some does not. Problem is they are different thickness. Now I have to return some.