Love my seedling persimmons

I've lost track exactly, but 15 years would be close. It usually takes about 11-12 for them to start bearing really good.
Nice! My persimmon that was hit by a skidder is a little bit bigger than yours. Was trying to get an estimate on how old it is.

Its that time........

Steve's annual pic tutorial on persimmon sex,flowers........

bill

I have 2 males flowering, the rest that I have planted have not flowered one time so far. Hoping they are females!

I have 2 males flowering, the rest that I have planted have not flowered one time so far. Hoping they are females!
If not, it might be time for a sex change operation, but I'd wait till they are 1" in diameter.

I bumped this thread because I made a positive "ID" on female flower from a baby bare root persimmon that i planted december 2013

I have to savor small victories

bill

I have 100 bare root persimmon trees I planted 4 years ago. They're all still quite small but I found the first of the bunch with flowers. It looks like a male to me. I've been grafting them over but this will have to wait until next year.

Attachments

• 20220516_145247.jpg
    20220516_145247.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 19
For anyone who needs to see the difference between male and female flowers, look back at post #41.

I bumped this thread because I made a positive "ID" on female flower from a baby bare root persimmon that i planted december 2013

I have to savor small victories

bill

We will be expecting some fruit pictures later on Bill.

PS - I just checked some trees today, and we are going to be loaded with persimmons this year.

I have 100 bare root persimmon trees I planted 4 years ago. They're all still quite small but I found the first of the bunch with flowers. It looks like a male to me. I've been grafting them over but this will have to wait until next year.

Yes, that one is definitely a male.

This is a tree I topworked in the Spring of 2020. It's in a fence row where I live rather that at the farm. I looked at it yesterday and it has several female flowers this year. This tree healed over fast too. It has already closed the gap in only 2 years. The cut was made where you see the yellow tape.

Sn4HLs5.jpg

This is a tree I topworked in the Spring of 2020. It's in a fence row where I live rather that at the farm. I looked at it yesterday and it has several female flowers this year. This tree healed over fast too. It has already closed the gap in only 2 years. The cut was made where you see the yellow tape.
Do you normally keep all the bark grafts that take? Looks like you grafted two scions there that took. I wasn't sure if that might present an issue in the future.

Do you normally keep all the bark grafts that take? Looks like you grafted two scions there that took. I wasn't sure if that might present an issue in the future.

I don't always keep all of the grafts, but on this tree I decided that I would keep both of them. You can always slowly prune back to one central leader if you want to. I do that on most of my trees.

I am getting quite a few growing on my place,some were planted as grafted and some natural from a mile away or so. These pics are from a couple days ago off grafted. I hope female

Attachments

• persimmions.JPG
    persimmions.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 25
I am getting quite a few growing on my place,some were planted as grafted and some natural from a mile away or so. These pics are from a couple days ago off grafted. I hope female
Those are male flowers
looks like you have a boy there.

That bites,one thing I hate about buying trees,These were supposed to be grafter and it takes years to find out and now they are males.I had the same thing happen with a company that has since changed hands but I hear people are still having trouble with their trees but after 5-10 years alittle late to do anything.I have 3 more planted not far away from this male tree so I will see if any of those are females before I change that male out

That bites,one thing I hate about buying trees,These were supposed to be grafter and it takes years to find out and now they are males.I had the same thing happen with a company that has since changed hands but I hear people are still having trouble with their trees but after 5-10 years alittle late to do anything.I have 3 more planted not far away from this male tree so I will see if any of those are females before I change that male out
Have you grafted. If it’s been in the ground 3-5 years the. It’s got a pretty good root system. Top work it to a female. Not really that hard.

Not a big deal, but I understand your frustration. After the trees hit about 1" in diameter, cut them down and bark graft them with female scions. They can produce fruit in the 3rd leaf after grafting.

I guess I will have to do some research

Not a big deal, but I understand your frustration. After the trees hit about 1" in diameter, cut them down and bark graft them with female scions. They can produce fruit in the 3rd leaf after grafting.
I grafted a bunch of persimmons that were thin this year and last year. Some of the rootstock was even smaller than the scion itself. I used several methods: whip and tongue, cleft, and flap grafting that Cliff England does (I think that's the name). I even bud grafted one as an experiment. I'm not sure if it's supposed to work this early in the season, but it did. The thing I like about doing it when they're smaller is that it didn't have an exorbitant amount of growth, so I didn't have to support them (they were still in tubes or I cut them back where they were still in the tube). I just wanted to throw that out there in case someone didn't want to wait until they were an inch in diameter. Of course, I'm betting it'll take longer than 3 years to fruit.