All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like bluehill is finally up

I think he will get the shipping sorted out, of course if he sells out of his trees at the current shipping charges he may not be in a rush to do it. Like any business, he will adapt to the market or won't make it. I am hoping he makes it, he is definitely filling a void in the wildlife habitat market. Hoping the trees are everything they appear to be. I will definitely be posting a report next spring after I pick mine up.

I picked up trees from him last year that had nice caliper already and probably 5-6ft in height. Almost as thick as my typical ACN stuff. His place is nice. He’s got a lot more volume now so I can’t speak for the caliper of what this years grafts will look like next year

Shipping discounted!

Same I can appreciate that. Now let these be fantastic trees and I will be happy.

I called Ryan at Blue Hill yesterday to ask him a few questions about some of the things said here and about his Crab Apples & Persimmons. Most of what I want is out of stock for the year but I wanted to put together a list for myself for next year. I wound up talking with Ryan for over 2 hours about trees, varieties, drop times, root stocks, size of trees, the nursery..... You name it.
Ryan is passionate about about what he is doing and was excited to share the things he has learned with me.
Ryan also addressed the shipping issue. He has added a 5ft box which will hold up to 12 trees for around $40 shipping. He did say his Chestnuts are 2 years old and to big and must ship in bigger boxes this year. He also said he was going to lower the 6 tree order minimum as well. I hope this helps clear some things up for everyone. DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery & this is NOT a sales pitch. I just wanted to share what I learned after talking with Ryan. Here are 2 pictures Ryan sent me of the Nursery. May 1st and Sept.15th of this year. Resized952019042995152926958148.jpgResized952019092295183731955044.jpg

I called Ryan at Blue Hill yesterday to ask him a few questions about some of the things said here and about his Crab Apples & Persimmons. Most of what I want is out of stock for the year but I wanted to put together a list for myself for next year. I wound up talking with Ryan for over 2 hours about trees, varieties, drop times, root stocks, size of trees, the nursery..... You name it.
Ryan is passionate about about what he is doing and was excited to share the things he has learned with me.
Ryan also addressed the shipping issue. He has added a 5ft box which will hold up to 12 trees for around $40 shipping. He did say his Chestnuts are 2 years old and to big and must ship in bigger boxes this year. He also said he was going to lower the 6 tree order minimum as well. I hope this helps clear some things up for everyone. DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery & this is NOT a sales pitch. I just wanted to share what I learned after talking with Ryan. Here are 2 pictures Ryan sent me of the Nursery. May 1st and Sept.15th of this year. View attachment 26435View attachment 26436

Great report. That clears up a lot.

Ryan also addressed the shipping issue. He has added a 5ft box which will hold up to 12 trees for around $40 shipping. He did say his Chestnuts are 2 years old and to big and must ship in bigger boxes this year. He also said he was going to lower the 6 tree order minimum as well. I hope this helps clear some things up for everyone. DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery & this is NOT a sales pitch. I just wanted to share what I learned after talking with Ryan. Here are 2 pictures Ryan sent me of the Nursery. May 1st and Sept.15th of this year. View attachment 26435View attachment 26436

Thanks for the report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spending my time in northern WI, it is amazing to me that people can get that sort of growth in 1 year in very different growing conditions...

Spending my time in northern WI, it is amazing to me that people can get that sort of growth in 1 year in very different growing conditions...

No doubt! Especially the southern guys. It blows my mind how much growth they can get out of trees in a years time. Especially Oaks.

Got an email notice that the shipping label has been created. Looks like it's go time this week. Got about 5" of snow last night. Should melt fast.

Got an email notice that the shipping label has been created. Looks like it's go time this week. Got about 5" of snow last night. Should melt fast.

Mine shipped last week. Unfortunately, I’m not at the farm as scheduled to plant them. Got a buddy who is going to poke them in anywhere and then I’ll have to move them at a later date.

I invited Ryan to join us here on H-T. He may after the busy season.

Too bad you couldn't be there, but it's nice to have a reliable buddy to help out. I only live 2 miles from the farm, so it's pretty handy. I hope he finds some time to join eventually. Would be great having another pro here.

Got a text Saturday that my order is in storage and ready to be picked up when I am ready. As soon as this panic subsides a bit I will be driving down to get them. Thinking first week or 2 of April hopefully. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I got my email Tuesday and shipped Wednesday of last week and trees were here before noon Friday, I’m South of most of you.
I was expecting good trees because I have been following his Facebook page for a while, I have to say that his trees exceeded my expectations. I liked the way he prepared the trees for shipping, no shredded newspaper around the roots on these trees. I’m ready to get started putting some trees in the ground but it’s rained for the last two weeks and showers forecasted for another week. I’m just going to heel-in my trees until the ground gets right.

I received my trees yesterday. I was only expecting 8 trees but received 16. I was in a hurry to get them into the ground with all the rain headed our way and didn’t notice the mistake with the way they were packaged. After planting 3 of them I noticed a tree that I didn’t order. Looking around I then noticed someone else’s order shipped with mine. I called Bluehill immediately. I offered to pay for the trees I planted that I would have of ordered otherwise and Ryan politely declined even after several offers. He told me to enjoy the trees and was happy I called. That was pretty refreshing.

The trees and root systems were fabulous. Made for a long day but I was able to get 16 trees planted and caged with the help of 3 children under 9. I will definitely order again this fall.

I received my trees yesterday. I was only expecting 8 trees but received 16. I was in a hurry to get them into the ground with all the rain headed our way and didn’t notice the mistake with the way they were packaged. After planting 3 of them I noticed a tree that I didn’t order. Looking around I then noticed someone else’s order shipped with mine. I called Bluehill immediately. I offered to pay for the trees I planted that I would have of ordered otherwise and Ryan politely declined even after several offers. He told me to enjoy the trees and was happy I called. That was pretty refreshing.

The trees and root systems were fabulous. Made for a long day but I was able to get 16 trees planted and caged with the help of 3 children under 9. I will definitely order again this fall.

Got any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine just showed up at the same time as the rain. Supposed to rain for 3 straight days. Go plant in the rain or afterward?

Mine came yesterday, all good looking trees in excelent shape. It's supposed to rain fri, Sat & Sunday so I planted and caged 2 last night and will plant the rest tonight. I will take a few pictures tonight.

Here's an Advent Pear & Rifle Deer Pear. I also planted a Kieffer Pear and a Whole Season Crab before the rain.20200326_174447.jpg20200326_171603.jpg20200326_171352.jpg

Got my 8 (Kerr, Rifle pear, Winter pear, Malus pear) planted and protected yesterday. It rained more than was forecast, made it kinda annoying plus I hate the soil being soup. But there's another 1.5" in the forecast today and tomorrow. Hey if you plant in the rain they gotta make it right? The trees were all in great shape and looked healthy and dormant. Size was average compared to what I've received in the past. Not the smallest I've ever gotten, also not the largest. Mostly whips with a couple of the pears having limbs. I expect the trees to take right off. Pictured are a bundle of the larger 4, then a Kerr, and don't forget rubber coated copper wire for cage ties...a great tip from BowsnBucks. For as often as we need to get into these cages, makes it super easy.

20200326_160516.jpg20200326_165735.jpg20200327_094840.jpg