All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like bluehill is finally up

I am close enough that I am picking mine up.

Blue Hill is right on my way to camp, so I'll pick mine up in person.

Last edited:
Several items out of stock already. Better get your orders in.

Ummmm yeah,
6 tree minimum to order
$85 shipping
Most of what I was looking at is out of stock.

Think I will look elsewhere.

Wow $85 shipping is crazy

I don't know much about shipping. Any idea what's going on here? Is he providing a far superior shipping package? It only says "shipping" but is this like shipping and handling except the shipping is 25 and the "handling" is 60?

Last edited:
I thought I read that he's using large boxes that can hold numerous trees. In which case if you're ordering a coupe of dozen trees the shipping may look reasonable.

Yep, you're right. It prompted me to look. Here's how it reads...

"Our shipping is very unique in terms of shipping trees. Grafted trees will fit 30-34 trees in a box and our 2-3′ trees can ship up to 70 in a box.
If your shipping requires multiple boxes please know that your shipping costs will increase. All shipping rates are shown during checkout."

If I shipped him a smaller box that fits 8 trees do you think he'd use it to ship them back to me at a normal price?

Makes sense - No harm asking.

It looks like this guy must be a small producer of trees. He probably can’t negotiate or hasn’t tried to negotiate a better shipping rate for his business. He needs to call his UPS rep or who ever he is using and look for alternatives or use a smaller or less wide box.

I’m new on this forum or in other words to forums.
I found Bluehillwildlifenursery on FB late winter or early spring and I have followed since. I have placed my order for spring of 2020 and can’t wait until next fall so that I can order again.

Big Dogs limbs are sagging this year and probably a good thing as I only have about 1/3 the acres of standing corn.
878d35adfcdd2462339a20a80447041d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

You said on the other thread you're "getting a much larger tree" but his website says 2 to 3 feet. I'd think everyone would want to see what kind of product he ships out this first year to wait before blindly ordering again next fall. Personally I'm hoping I don't get a bunch of 2' toothpicks.

I
Big Dogs limbs are sagging this year and probably a good thing as I only have about 1/3 the acres of standing corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sandbur, I sure have enjoyed reading your post/threads and pictures about crabapples. I was directed to habitat-talk by the owner of Bluehillwildlifenursery, he told me if I wanted to read and see pictures about crabapples to look for Sandbur and that I would find some very interesting reading and he was correct.

I am still debating about trying to cancel my order.

I commented on another thread about being happy with the size of the trees I will be receiving from BHWN, and I will address that here.
I ordered some pear trees,BHWN site says pears will be 4-6 feet tall, on FB he stated he had some trees exceeding that hight and still had some growing season to go.
I also ordered some crabapples, site says 3-5 feet tall, thats what the site said I read it.
I ordered 16 trees and would have ordered more but that’s all my budget would allow, my shipping was less than $80.I also said I was happy with shipping and I am because I get the shipping company that would be my favorite choice. I know my shipment will make it to me timely and in good shape not sitting in a warehouse or delivered/ tossed out at my mailbox or delivered at someone else’s house.
I’m excited about getting my trees from BHWN because I have followed them on FB all year and have took the invitation to call or contact with any Questions that is stated on FB and the shopping site. And I will be placing another order if I am able to in the fall of 2020, and that will not be a blind order because I will already know what I’m getting because I will have already received and have examined my recently made order in the spring of 2020.
I just got on this forum because I wanted to say something nice about someone and hope I can continue to do so, IF NOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

KyRose, I appreciate you taking the time to say something nice about BHWN and I'm sure everyone on this site appreciates it as well. I think were all interested in hearing about what you, or others have to say about your trees once you get them. I've been checking out Blue Hills site and really like what they have to offer. Like many I'm probably not willing to pay $80 for shipping though. Especially in my case, where I only get 2 or 3 trees a year. I simply cant afford that. Please let us know how you make out next spring when you get your trees.

I agree, thanks for the write-up and explanation. Your 1st post to the site basically sounded like a sales pitch for the nursery, so we appreciate the further explanation. There's a lot of apple pros here who've been around the block a time or 2. They'll figure out in year 1 if this place is for real or not. I think the guy's trees sound intriguing and that's why I placed what I consider a decent sized order. Like Rit, I've also considered cancelling due to the highest priced shipping in the industry. But I keep thinking that years down the road my kids will say "geez these sure are nice trees dad and whatever the shipping was we're glad you stuck to your gut and provided a nice variety of wildlife trees."

I placed an order with Blue Hill also and I’m baffled at the shipping cost. I’ve also ordered from Northern Whitetail crabs and the shipping is almost half what it is for Blue Hill. I think they are both in PA...Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. - ^^^^ They are both in central Pa. and about an hour apart max. I drive right past BHWN on my way to camp. My next trip up I plan to stop & see for myself what he's got going on there.