All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

locks on deer stands

JFK52

5 year old buck +
How many of you have to put locks on your enclosed blinds to keep out unwanted guests? I lock all my blinds year round. Early in my land ownership I had an out of state neighbor comment to me how nice my 25 foot tall 4'x8' enclosed blind was for bird watching. From his comments, I knew he could only know certain facts if he had been INSIDE the blind. After that incident, I put hasps and locks on all of my blinds. I try to keep the lock situation simple, buying locks that are all keyed the same. A few that have separate keys are specially coded and colored to prevent mix ups. If a hunter is going to choose between two blinds to sit in, I make sure he has the proper keys to get into each blind. It is a real hassle and opening locks while on a ladder is something I wish I did not have to do. I should add that I have 18 stands on my land and three of them are ground blinds. As my knees have gotten worse every year, I have taken to building steps with a hand rail to access elevated blinds. I only have 6 stands left that need steps.

Last edited:
I don't but it's probably not a bad idea.

I have a regular exterior locking door knob on my stand. Probably unlikely to have trespassers where it is, but why not. Don't want the heater to walk off. I guess someone could bust out a window if they were a real arse.

Good idea.

That is one thing I have not done yet. I don't have any indication of off-season use by trespassers (we've had to work hard with prosecution to get a handle on trespass). My personal biggest issues is having guests of other owners using mine during the season. My problem is locks is that I don't want to mess with a lock during the season. Don't get me wrong, if a guest of another owner ask my permission I'd be glad to provide it. However, getting into a stand you have been keeping cold for just the right time and realizing that someone has adjusted the windows to fit them is a real letdown.

Having said that, I think I will add hasps and locks for out of season. It is a good idea for liability if nothing else.

Thanks,

jack