Lime question

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
Got soil results back. Calling for 1 ton of lime. Other then price is there a difference quantity wise between the crushed bulk lime or bagged lime? Can’t get big equipment in the spot so I’m gonna have to buy it in bags

Years ago I bought a ton of pelletized lime and the coop gave me a discount for buying a ton of it. Can't recall how much it was. I would just go with a ton of pell lime and soil test again in a year to see where you're at.

Years ago I bought a ton of pelletized lime and the coop gave me a discount for buying a ton of it. Can't recall how much it was. I would just go with a ton of pell lime and soil test again in a year to see where you're at.
around me the ton of pelletized lime is 3-4x the price of bulk lime. If for a small food plot and you only need one ton maybe not such a big deal (~200$ per ton) but if you have several acres....things get expensive quick. I get screwed on bulk lime here as well 80$ per ton spread. No one wants to spread on food plots except this one guy I know and that is what charges. I may invest in purchases a bulk lime spreader but those stupid things cost like 3000$ for a small one...

Lives: if your plot isn’t too big, one ton is nothing if you have a quad with a good fertilizer spreader. It goes very quick especially if you got a helper and your using pelletized lime. I wish I kept track of how many tons I’ve done spread since I started doing plots. The time consuming part is getting the lime to the plot on the quad back and forth.

Oh it’s getring done one way or another. For me I’m gonna drive it out in the truck. Offload it along the plot and then start spreading

Got soil results back. Calling for 1 ton of lime. Other then price is there a difference quantity wise between the crushed bulk lime or bagged lime? Can’t get big equipment in the spot so I’m gonna have to buy it in bags

The first thing to look at is the ECEC of the lime from each source. If they are the same, applying the same amount of each will have the same general effect. Ag lime (bulk) is generally much less expensive as you say but it requires specialized equipment to consistently spread depending on dampness. Lime trucks and buggies have very steep internal walls and are V-shaped. There is a chain belt at the bottom of the V that transports the lime out the back as it turns. This will spread ag lime well regardless of the dampness. When ag lime gets damp, it clumps together. If the dampness is just right, it can be spread out of a broadcast spreader but things have to be just right. I've heard of guys shoveling it out of the back of a pickup to spread it as someone drives slowly through the field. Generally it is labor intensive and time consuming to spread if you don't have the right equipment.

Pelletized lime can easily be spread from a broadcast spreader on the back of a tractor but as you say, it is more expensive. You can ask the quarry about the ECEC for bulk ag lime and you can find the ECEC on the bags of pelletized lime.

There may be some subtle differences in how fast and long they work but that depends on your soil type. In general, either will do the job if adjusting you pH if applied in the correct amount.

Thanks,

Jack

Yoder, this year is the first year with the property and plot. Thus 10 projects later and I’m going to be restricted to limited equipment. I did however find a local supplier. In addition to the lime and fert (I also have some #10 fine Redmond mineral) , I’ll be purchasing 40 Norway spruce from them. So all in all they knocked the price down on everything. Cheapest I’ve found locally. They are looking into a delivery date for this week for me for free. Can’t beat that. And weather cooperating next weekend it’ll be put out.

I’ve spread 3000 pounds of pellet lime this spring/summer with a 150 pound ATV spreader. Just got done a couple hours ago spreading the last 30 bags as well as potash and MAP per soil test results. I did it alone half at a time.

My Agrifab spreader is already ready for maintenance in the gear that spins the thing that flings. It’s making some ugly noise.

I used something called SuperCal 98. It’s expensive but ag lime isn’t an option for me. Up here in Cook MN the mill sells it for about $9 a bag. Adds up very very quickly.

I’ve also read in more than one place that pell lime is more effective than ag lime per pound. But that might just be marketing at work.

I have shoveled ag line out of the back of a truck. 1000 pounds would be easy, and pretty quick. Probably less then 20 minutes. It may not get spread evenly, but I just lightly disced it into the top layer of soil and it seemed to work well. I also have used the peletized lime, you still need to lift it all by bags, so I don’t see much less work by shoveling it out of a truck.

I did 4 tons with a loader backhoe and a shovel. Just drove slow and flung it with a shovel then drug a bed spring over plot to help even it out. I got my lime in a semi truck dump trailer about 24 tons for $200.00 delivered. I still have 18 tons for next time. My lime was around 1 yard to the ton so one bucket load = 1 ton. My plot is around 7.2 ph as of last year. I think it was the best money I ever spent on my plot. My lime pile has took on moisture which makes it harder to spread but it isn’t dusty like before.

I’ve done 13 tons in 1 day with a FEL, shovel and an atv cart. Yes, it is exhausting and I don’t ever want to do that again. We had 25 tons delivered and spread it over 2 years. Kept it covered under a tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done 13 tons in 1 day with a FEL, shovel and an atv cart. Yes, it is exhausting and I don’t ever want to do that again. We had 25 tons delivered and spread it over 2 years. Kept it covered under a tarp.

13 tons with a FEL, shovel and ATV cart makes you THE MAN! There was a day when I would have done the same, but not in me anymore. I had 56 tons delivered today. The plan is to pull the spreader with one tractor and load the spreader with another tractor. My biggest problem will be exposure to the heat while moving from one air conditioned cab to the other. I am such a pansy these days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 tons with a FEL, shovel and ATV cart makes you THE MAN! There was a day when I would have done the same, but not in me anymore. I had 56 tons delivered today. The plan is to pull the spreader with one tractor and load the spreader with another tractor. My biggest problem will be exposure to the heat while moving from one air conditioned cab to the other. I am such a pansy these days!

I'm with you WTNUT - Maybe a few (quite a few) years ago...but not anymore. I spread 26 tons the last time I limed. Borrowed the neighbors' tractor to load the spreader and pulled the spreader with my own tractor. Didn't have those nice cabs with A/C but it still beat spreading 26 tons with a shovel...and it was a heckuva lot cheaper than spreading pell lime.

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

When I bought my DK45 4x4 with FEL, I had the option of buying a new one without a cab or a used one with a few hundred hours with a cab. I opted for the cab. When the AC is working it is a dream, especially as I'm aging. The AC is poorly designed in my tractor and I've had a lot of issue with it. I will say that a cab with all the glass heats up like death valley when the AC is out!

Wish I could find an old lime buggy that was serviceable and reasonably priced!

Thanks,

jack

Never again. I was so tired that I couldn’t even lift my arms to change the radio on the drive home. In the future we will have it delivered and spread. Yes, it does cost more, but my time is more valuable.

When I bought my DK45 4x4 with FEL, I had the option of buying a new one without a cab or a used one with a few hundred hours with a cab. I opted for the cab. When the AC is working it is a dream, especially as I'm aging. The AC is poorly designed in my tractor and I've had a lot of issue with it. I will say that a cab with all the glass heats up like death valley when the AC is out!

Thanks,

jack

I rented this lime spreader from the place where I purchased the ag-lime. They charged me $4/ton rental or a total of $104 for spreading 26 tons. I doubt if I will ever need any more lime for another 15-20 years. I'll just rent a spreader again rather than have one sitting around doing nothing for all those years. Maybe if you have to add lime every few years or if you don't have the option of renting a spreader it might be worth it but owning my own lime buggy doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm with you WTNUT - Maybe a few (quite a few) years ago...but not anymore. I spread 26 tons the last time I limed. Borrowed the neighbors' tractor to load the spreader and pulled the spreader with my own tractor. Didn't have those nice cabs with A/C but it still beat spreading 26 tons with a shovel...and it was a heckuva lot cheaper than spreading pell lime.

View attachment 18686

View attachment 18687

That is a nice spreader

Thanks,

jack

I rented this lime spreader from the place where I purchased the ag-lime. They charged me $4/ton rental or a total of $104 for spreading 26 tons. I doubt if I will ever need any more lime for another 15-20 years. I'll just rent a spreader again rather than have one sitting around doing nothing for all those years. Maybe if you have to add lime every few years or if you don't have the option of renting a spreader it might be worth it but owning my own lime buggy doesn't appeal to me at all.

Me either. I rent mine from the co op too