Lime on throw and mow plots

StickTime

5 year old buck +
all of my plots are throw and mow and I've had average to above average success but I need to apply lime this year and I don't have the ability to till the plots (ranging from .5 to 5 acres). Previously I've used soluble lime (for the sake of time) but it's too pricey for the short-lived benefits.

Will lime still be effective if I just drop it on top of thatch this spring when I sow red clover, Sunflowers and Oats?
Will it be ok to drop seed and lime simultaneously?

the plan is/was to spray for broad leafs as soon as they start popping, then sow my seed and drop lime, and mow once the existing vegetation reaches a foot. I planted BW and Sunflowers last spring with this method (minus the lime drop) and WW , PTT and and red and white clover this fall which the deer hammered to the dirt.

Do you have an ATV spreader or how are you planning on spreading lime? I have put down as much as 2 tons worth of 40# bags in a day of pell lime with mine. The sooner you get it down, the better.

atv. going to get a drop spreader off of CL. I have a 16 gal atv sprayer and a 18hp pull behind rough cut that i can get into all sorts of spots too small or wet for a tractor. So you're saying just put the lime down now?

Lime it ASAP! No point in waiting if you have the capability to do it right away. The "best" time to lime a plot was 6 months ago!

I use bulk ag lime since it is cheap and just spread it by hand. It's not fun, but it can be done on a couple acres. I can use an atv fertilizer spreader when the lime is really dry, especially when the ground is bumpy which prevents it from sticking to the sides. I put apply the line whenever I have the time and it works great.

You know the old saying is any time is a good time for lime.

What kind of soils do you have? Are they clay, sand, or somewhere in between? The reason
all of my plots are throw and mow and I've had average to above average success but I need to apply lime this year and I don't have the ability to till the plots (ranging from .5 to 5 acres). Previously I've used soluble lime (for the sake of time) but it's too pricey for the short-lived benefits.

Will lime still be effective if I just drop it on top of thatch this spring when I sow red clover, Sunflowers and Oats?
Will it be ok to drop seed and lime simultaneously?

the plan is/was to spray for broad leafs as soon as they start popping, then sow my seed and drop lime, and mow once the existing vegetation reaches a foot. I planted BW and Sunflowers last spring with this method (minus the lime drop) and WW , PTT and and red and white clover this fall which the deer hammered to the dirt.

What kind of soil do you have?

Tractor supply sells pellet lime 4$/40lb bag

not as cheap as bulk but works well for smaller plots

bill

the plots were once farmed and then cow pasture so they are clay-ish but there is lot of OM because the fields had been growing wild for 20+ years. the surrounding ground is full of shale and some other rock that is harder than shale but softer than limestone. last year was the first time it had been mowed and sprayed and replanted. I will be contending with left over thistle, onion, briars and pigweed. the ph was originally 5.5 but after two applications of lime its been right around 6. good moisture as its in a flood plain (can get pretty soggy after a couple days of rain)

Attachments

• 0A68F5C29982000006600002-attachment-1-image000000.jpg
    0A68F5C29982000006600002-attachment-1-image000000.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 0A660AF0BF010000CE500002-attachment-1-image000000.jpg
    0A660AF0BF010000CE500002-attachment-1-image000000.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 13
Clay can hold lime pretty well. It generally takes lime a long time to move through clay. I typically need between 3 and 4 tons per acre to initially amend the soil but it can be 3 years or more before I need to add another ton/ac to maintain the pH. However, if you are in a flood plain, that can make a difference too. There is no issue with top dressing lime. It is actually preferred in many cases. It does take longer for it to change the soil pH at root level, but that may not be bad. If you have already amended up to 6, you will be fine. While 6.5 may be the target for many of the crops we plant for deer, a lot can do well with lower pH. Because of flooding, I'd keep an eye on the pH and see how fast it changes. Periodically surface broadcasting pelletized lime in small amounts each year is probably the best solution for you to maintain a healthy pH, but I'd keep monitoring it.

Thanks,

Jack