Life in Virginia

Proud dad moment? Was going through my 7 year old's folder yesterday and saw his MLK paper he did at school. I actually had my wife email his teacher to smooth things over a little, if they needed smoothing. She replied saying she found it funny.

View attachment 27792
Awesome paper! Good job dad.

Thanks! I guess it shows they're listening. Sometimes you think they're just sitting down, playing toys in their own world, but I think they hear everything being discussed. I often remind him that he can develop his own views and that he doesn't necessarily need to agree with everything I believe in. As they grow, I just hope common and good sense prevail. Cat, I think your kids are slightly older than mine. I'm sure you've seen a lot!

Thanks! I guess it shows they're listening. Sometimes you think they're just sitting down, playing toys in their own world, but I think they hear everything being discussed. I often remind him that he can develop his own views and that he doesn't necessarily need to agree with everything I believe in. As they grow, I just hope common and good sense prevail. Cat, I think your kids are slightly older than mine. I'm sure you've seen a lot!
Yes... I see a lot of that, it's surprising sometimes how much they hear and know.

My 11yr old pulled one of those last summer. Him and I were in the car on a long drive, he had been polevaulting for 3 days solid in the heat and he was exhausted. I was listening to talk radio and we were pretty quiet. All of a sudden he goes into a rant on how the Disney granddaughter was crazy. Said that Disney provided tons of jobs at good wages and offered continuing education to employees to make themselves more marketable. Said if people were unhappy with their job to find a better one, or improve their value to the company. Also said the granddaughter lost the right to talk about the company as a business when she broke ties with them. If she wanted to make changes she should have put the leg-work in herself.

He was listening closer than I was! I like that at his age he understands that it's your personal responsibility to better your situation if you don't like where you're at. I also liked that his first "go-to" was to work harder or advance his skill set.