Life in Virginia

I watched several minutes of live streaming through the crowd that day, and the crowd looked pretty regular, not like the pic Natty shared. From just what I saw, that pic does't represent the crowd, during the minutes I viewed anyway.

I watched several minutes of live streaming through the crowd that day, and the crowd looked pretty regular, not like the pic Natty shared. From just what I saw, that pic does't represent the crowd, during the minutes I viewed anyway.
And that’s the unfortunate thing. That will probably be lost in all of it.

Jack, while I can see your legislative point, but the fact that others have their back from other states mean something as well! If shit was about to get real in Virginia, there would be a lot more then 22,000 people there to help them!
Also, like one rally person said on an interview when they were asked if they will be protesting tomorrow as well, the guy said, "No, we have jobs"!

I'm just looking at it from an outcome perspective. Whether the protest influences the vote will depend on how much risk/reward lawmakers see to their own seats. When voters from their districts make their voices heard, they are a lot more influential than voices that are perceived to come from special interest groups outside the voting district.

Thanks,

Jack

And that’s the unfortunate thing. That will probably be lost in all of it.

But it is a normal thing. The press will always accentuate potential sex and violence because that is what attracts eyeballs. Seeing average folks gathering with signs is ho-hum compared to "paramilitary-like forces armed to the teeth massing on the streets of the capital city". Which picture would you take if you were the camera man or videographer?

Many good points above,..

:emoji_thumbsup:

What would that do to Virginia financially? Would it hurt the big city's and government, or would it just be good riddance of people that don't vote the right way?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's hard to hurt liberals financially, because of how rich they are and always willing to pour out the money (our money) for their causes. I'm not sure how something like this would play out, but if the article is correct about it not requiring federal approval, it might happen. All I know right now is that I would like to learn more about this and keep up with whatever happens.

What would that do to Virginia financially? Would it hurt the big city's and government, or would it just be good riddance of people that don't vote the right way?

It's hard to hurt liberals financially, because of how rich they are and always willing to pour out the money (our money) for their causes. I'm not sure how something like this would play out, but if the article is correct about it not requiring federal approval, it might happen. All I know right now is that I would like to learn more about this and keep up with whatever happens.
I noticed the federal thing too. That's why I asked if it would hurt them or help them to loose counties. It won't hurt them vote wise, so it would need to have a financial effect. Otherwise VA would let them leave and be all-in for complete abolishment of the 2nd.

Interesting. Virginia could lose a couple of its electoral college votes depending on those counties.

Honestly it probably does have a shot at passing. When I look at that language, I see it as a ban on weapons and accessories that aren’t your traditional styled hunting firearms. You can still have a semi auto shotgun and rifle for hunting. There are many Americans who think that’s all the general public should have. It’s tough to say how this one goes. I can guarantee that people who don’t live and breath firearms like most of us on this forum, are looking at those images from the rally and thinking what the heck does a person need body armour and high capacity magazine rifle for. From an optics stand point, I don’t know if they really convinced anyone new to support the fight.
I will say that many of the representatives were available for those attending to voice their opinions. They listened well to the comments made to them by the attendees that conversed with them one on one. It may or may not make a diff but it is important that voices be heard as many issues are supported by a supposed minority of voters. The VA governor has been very vocal of his intentions, and while I won't believe all media coverage on either side of these bills, I do think there is a strong drive to get the foot in the door for future very aggressive changes in legality of gun ownership. I could give a rats ass about ARs, don't own one, and don't feel the need. I do however give rats ass as to citizens having that privilege if they so choose. Freedoms are not removed in mass, nor will we be ever fighting a door to door battle with our weapons against a national army, but rather they could and might gradually remove our accepted freedoms slowly before we realize how far they have progressed with their agenda. Manipulation within the media is a great persuader of those undecided voters.
So while perhaps no new believers are convinced in any direction, it is our duty to not sit idly by. Vote, send letters, and don't keep our mouths shut.

It's because Liberals never contribute to social causes, they rely on taxation to fund politically manipulated so-called "entitlement" programs.

You can hurt them financially by controlling/reducing entitlement programs because that is how they buy votes.

Less freebies, less voters.

In regards to SB16 mentioned above banning most guns,.. you can track the progress of the bill as it moves along the Va. legislature at this site.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB16

I am not exactly sure if "stricken" means dead? Maybe some political folks can shed more light?

Stricken does mean dead. When the strong 2A response hit the fan, they promptly decided that bill wasn’t going to make it and killed it. It was one of their key focus points until that point, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly wouldn't hurt Virginia financially. If you chase dollars I would guess (only guessing) there's more state and federal money flowing into those counties than is coming out. I don't have a clue if this could or would happen.

If you will allow me a moment before you come up out of your collective seats....

While the "gun rights" issues are at the tip of the discussions, they are mostly just that at the moment, discussions. Will some of these proposed bills become laws? I don't know.
Here's a list of this year's legislative session bills that have passed:
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+lst+PAS
I don't see any of the gun issues

And here's the list of bills that failed (so far - it ain't over, yet).
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+lst+FAI
I see some of the gun issues

Well, we can keep going...and you should if you are truly interested in how all this works (i don't know).

But here are some numbers to throw around-
In this 2020 Virginia Legislative Session there are 3,126 bill introduced. Today, 93 have passed the Virginia House, 174 the Senate, and only 96 have been reconciled and passed both chambers.

Again, I don't know what will happen in the rest of the session which will soon come to a close. The point is there's always a lot more said than done. Now, I'm not discounting the need to remain vigilant. Here, in my state, the Democrats control all three branches of government. A party controlling like that before has happened, the Republicans from 2000-2002. Then, it got divided again. That's the history of Virginia politics at the state level. It's not as easy as 'us vs them'; or 'democrats vs republicans'; or 'liberals vs conservatives.' We don't register by party. We are simply voters. Sure, lots of people identify with one or the other, but there are lot of complicated independents here.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a Republican Governor in the next election - IF the party can put up a reputable candidate. But, the population dynamics have swung drastically. All the votes are in and around Northern Virginia. The Tidewater area is composed of Suffolk, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach. It's the second largest metro area in the state and it's not as dominated by Democratic votes as Northern Virginia, but it's close. Then there's Richmond...

If there are 97 counties in Virginia (94 and a bunch of independent cities), then 10-12 dominate the total population, but cover a very small geographic area. Back to the gun debate. I think it's just the lightening rod for a whole lot of other urban/suburban - rural issues. And, I'm just not sure going forward we rural folk have enough powder to stay in the race. If you overlay districts on population (county, census tract, block, or whatever unit of geography you want to choose), it looks to me like the Republicans have gerrymandered their districts to maintain their electoral status - they have lots of Republican votes - but have they lost the war because they don't have enough of the swing voters?

Stricken does mean dead. When the strong 2A response hit the fan, they promptly decided that bill wasn’t going to make it and killed it. It was one of their key focus points until that point, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but....that was the senate bill. There often is a similar House bill. I didn't check.

SB 16 (from your article)

Sen. Mark Obenshain, R-Harrisonburg, said he has seen similar bills introduced every year he has been in the General Assembly and they have never had any success.

every year.

Because one guy proposes something,.. does not mean it is going to become law. That happens all the time, in legislatures all across this country. People propose bat shit crazy stuff on a regular basis.

No one need panic,.. if it advances to a vote that is different but it will not happen.

Responding to these nut-job bills when they are proposed is what scares many bodies from ever bringing them to a vote!

Proud dad moment? Was going through my 7 year old's folder yesterday and saw his MLK paper he did at school. I actually had my wife email his teacher to smooth things over a little, if they needed smoothing. She replied saying she found it funny.

20200129_151840.jpg