Let's make it safer

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have been thinking of posting this for some time, and finally decided to as a welcome to all the new members. I have had three friends/acquaintances die from tree stand accidents. I own a manufacturing business and spent a lot of time trying to perfect and patent a better fall protection system that allowed a hunter to remain tied off from ground to stand and back again. Yes, I know Hunter Safety Systems and maybe others sell a rope with a Prusik Knot that can be hung near your stand and suspended to ground after you hang your stand. Yes, you have to leave it in the tree. Yes, the rope is exposed to weather. Yes, I spoke with nearly every rope manufacturer who would speak to me and every one told me there is no rope that can withstand being exposed to the elements without quickly losing strength and becoming dangerous. So I thought for the longest time, how do I protect the rope? Had lots of ideas, and finally came up with this system. The answer was don't leave the rope out there :).

I take a climbing anchor and attach it above the base of my stand at about chest high once stand is hung. Here is an example of a climbing anchor - there are many types.
12a8b16474757ba41710a5efdbbb6ec3.png

8197716e42c2d2d682695717418493e4.png

ae0ea96b844e7d02b8e4e58354963850.png

Then I run a loop of parachute cord from ground up through the anchor and back down to the ground where I tie the ends of the cord together. The cord can be slid through the anchor by pulling hand over hand like a hoist.

Next, I bought lightweight dynamic climbing rope 9-10 mm. I carry a 60 foot piece of it attached to my backpack. I use a butterfly coil to carry it. When I get to the base of the tree I use my parachute cord to tie a "cow hitch" that attaches one end of my climbing rope to the parachute cord. Then I pull hand over hand to raise the climbing rope up and eventually through the eye of the anchor and then back down to the ground where I attach both ends of the climbing rope to the tree (various ways to do that). I then use a Prusik cord to tie a Prusik Knot to use on the climbing rope. I climb my ladder or steps sliding the Prusik Knot up as I go.

When ready to go down I reverse the process by sliding the Prusik knot down. When I get to the base of the tree. I remove the climbing rope from whatever anchors it at the base of the tree and pull on one end of it until the other goes up, back through the anchor and falls to the ground. I butterfly coil my rope and carry it out with my backpack. The only weather it ever is exposed to is any rain or snow that occurs while hunting.

Give it some thought and if you know of anything that may make our friends safer let us know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a cow hitch
416b5290a90572b1f9c7fb4dfb50e80f.png

I use good quality Ladder stands for the most part. Never used a harness or rope for a ladder on the job or at home. Looks like a good Idea for the guys that are worried about falling.

Here is a Prusik knot and Prusik cord with the ends sewn together by the manufacturer.

8005a32a16994200b05a2fbda4814e95.png
IMG_0754.JPG

f898ad408398bbaee0052f29ed45abca.png

I need to get better at the safety thing. Like Mo, we use good ladders and don't really fear falling. But I bet that would change in a nano second at the beginning of a fall

Funny I always make my son use a harness. Kinda do as I say, not what I do.

But in my own defense. I only use ladder stands these days. 30 years ago I hunted out of home made hang on's 30 feet in the air accessed by the now banned "on my farm" screw in step.

Great thread. Thanks for posting.

Have had 6 friends fall, 3 involved ladder stands, 2 were climbing stand and 1 descending from a lock on. I personally have had 2 almost falls. One when I lost a baker stand at the top of my climb. It went all the way to the ground. Luckily that was pre hand climber so had a good hold on the tree but sure sucked having to slide down. My second near miss was on screw in steps with muddy boots. Lost footing half way up but again had good enough hold to not go to the ground. That was when I started using a lineman so belt to climb. Didn't start wearing a harness until second buddy fell with his climber. Now I never leave the ground without fall protection.

All three of mine were getting in or out of stand without a line to the ground. The system I use as described above would have saved all three. I am still amazed at how easily CLIMBING rope will thread through the anchor.

Looks like a good setup WT. I really need to start using lifelines. I hunt mainly from hang-on stands that get put up before season and taken down after the season. I fell 18' about 10yrs ago taking a stand down in December. I was getting out of the stand and was barely using a branch with my left hand for a little support and it snapped. I went down feet first and it was not a good feeling. Luckily, the only thing I broke was my wrist but jolted everything else pretty good from landing on my feet and the impact flung me face first into the ground and caused a hell of a bloddy nose. I have HSS and Tree Spider harnesses that I wear while in the stand.

I hang at least 35 stands. Even if leaving rope out half a year were safe - and I know it is not now - that would be a lot of rope. I bought 200' of rope and cut it into 3 lines, one for me and a couple for guests. NONE of us thought it would work as well as it does. I can literally remove rope from pack and have it through the anchor - tied off and ready to climb in 90 seconds. The cow hitch is key no knots to catch on anchor.

Good idea WT. What are you using to attach the anchor to the tree? Do you stay tied off to the climbing line or move to standard tree strap?

I use 4 or 5 inch inch galvanized lag screws to attach the anchors to the trees. I have used different types of anchors. Some are even Coldshuts that I slightly modified. At first I was switching over to a standard "tree strap". The one I carried was the rope that comes with Lone Wolf stands. But after I realized how well the system worked, I just stayed tied to it because you are literally tied in 100 percent of the time.

The only thing I did not mention is I carry a second Prusik cord attached to my climbing harness. That way if you do fall, you can use it to tie a second Prusik Knott for your foot to step into and take weight off the upper knot to slide it if you need to in order to get back in the stand or over to a step. That is pretty much a standard safety practice.

But I bet that would change in a nano second at the beginning of a fall

Yep, I fell in a non-hunting accident one time. An extension ladder kicked out from under me on concrete once. "Nano second" is an understatement. No little voice goes "hey get ready, you are about to fall .... You ready yet? It is about to happen. Look for something to grab on to ...... 5,4,3,2, 1 .... Fall."

It goes more like - BANG, "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED, AM I ALIVE? "

How did you determine the anchor strength? Tree species and lag material would be a factor.

The anchors in the pictures are climbing anchors for mountaineering. You can look on line and determine the strength of those and the rope you select. I was told that I really did not need dynamic rope due to height of fall and the overall application, but I decided to spend a little more money and get it. I would NOT try this with anything other than actual climbing rope. As for the bolts/lags I use, I asked one of the engineers at my plant to pick those for me. I don't know, but there is so much information on the net, you could probably figure those as well. What you are guarding against is the bolt sheering off at the time of the drop. I did not factor in tree species. There was no doubt in my mind that regardless of the tree this system was better than no protection or a rope that had been out in the weather for 5 months.

One other comment, I don't leave the lag screw and anchor in the tree for more than one season. As you know, some trees die around the wound associated with the screw and they can pull out easily. Some trees like a maple, would engulf them and they never pull. It is too easy to take a cordless drill and drill a small pilot hole and attach them to another spot than risk anything.

Yep, I fell in a non-hunting accident one time. An extension ladder kicked out from under me on concrete once. "Nano second" is an understatement. No little voice goes "hey get ready, you are about to fall .... You ready yet? It is about to happen. Look for something to grab on to ...... 5,4,3,2, 1 .... Fall."

It goes more like - BANG, "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED, AM I ALIVE? "
I had a homemade ladder give out on me when I was about 12' up a few years back. Same experience, no time to think about anything before pancaking on the ground and wondering if I'm alive and if so can I move and what's broken.

Novemberforever, have you tested some of those that have been up 20 years? Take a heavy weight and drop it to see if it snaps? I feel safe with mine that have been up a couple of years but I'm not so sure about 20 years...

We buy used rock climbing rope on ebay and every stand has it permanent. Some of the rope has been out 20 years and it is fine. I saw cabelas now has camo bibs with a built in harness.

How about coming to an agreed location, and jumping out of a tree at 25 feet? I will let you use a new rope not exposed to the elements or one that has been out 20 years.

All joking aside, start calling rope manufactures who do test to meet compliance with ANSI standards as well as others. I will bet you a cold beer they tell you to use a cable if you are going to leave their rope out very long. Again, I am talking about the MANUFACTURERS and not necessarily the party selling it.