Let's eat some fresh 2019 apples

Yes sir !! Dandy looking tree.

Thanks Bows. You should have seen the fruit load before I did all that thinning. My main objective with this tree this year is to watch when the fruit drops. If it is as advertised (through October and November) this might be one of the better deer season crabapples for me.

This is another crabapple called Eliza's Choice. This tree has only been topworked 2 years. It was way overloaded with fruit, and I thinned it three times this year for fear it would break at the graft. I probably removed three times as many crabs as you see.

This cultivar was found growing wild near McMinville TN and is advertised as a November and October dropper. I can believe it, because the fruit is just barely turning red at this time. I will keep an eye on it, but appears to be a winner. The fruit doesn't look quite as "clean" as my Dolgos, but plenty good enough for deer food.

UVtvHUu.jpg

That tree looks awesome! I’m going to have order me a couple of those. Please keep us posted on the drop time. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Native - Good idea to watch the drop times. You already know it's a big producer. If it times out right, that tree may be a deer gold mine.

A few Prairie Magic are ready.
819c977203287b7d3afd1559d257d0ce.jpg

I finally got a few grafts to take this spring after not having any luck for several years for some reason.

That Prairie Magic looks pretty nice, Bur. Good eater? Harder or softer apple?

That Prairie Magic looks pretty nice, Bur. Good eater? Harder or softer apple?

I will say in between. Very similar to Zestar.

These aren't apples, but they are as big as some apples. I'm trying something new - dehydrated persimmons.

Yep, I didn't remove the seed. I thought they might come out easier after they were dried. Hard to believe these came off a tree that was only topworked last spring.

sDq6fRt.jpg

zTqT1oS.jpg

Pretty cool, Native. How'd they turn out?

Pretty cool, Native. How'd they turn out?

I like the taste and will continue to dry some of these. However, they don’t taste as good as the apples and pears I dried.

Prairie Magic.
02ed6d853f47eab65d3afd2e97cc539a.jpg

Got together with a friend this weekend, sent me home with 7 different varieties so the kids and I could do some taste-testing. Prairie Magic, Zestar, State Fair, Hazen, Beacon, MacIntosh, Kindercrisp. And a bag full of unknown crabs for jelly.

Attachments

• DCB9C2AC-089D-43F8-AF81-5D8307BA0D60.jpeg
    DCB9C2AC-089D-43F8-AF81-5D8307BA0D60.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 17F5B699-0512-4236-AC5E-08E5644F36D8.jpeg
    17F5B699-0512-4236-AC5E-08E5644F36D8.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 17
Got together with a friend this weekend, sent me home with 7 different varieties so the kids and I could do some taste-testing. Prairie Magic, Zestar, State Fair, Hazen, Beacon, MacIntosh, Kindercrisp. And a bag full of unknown crabs for jelly.

I would call those crabs... dolgo.

^^^^ Lots of great eating on those trees!!

Bur - What are the taste differences between the Dolgo & Trailman sauces??

^^^^ Lots of great eating on those trees!!

Bur - What are the taste differences between the Dolgo & Trailman sauces??

Trailman tends to be sweet and mild.
Dolgo is more sharp/ acidic. When very ripe to water core, I get a slight berry or cherry flavor.

I swung by the farm today to pick up a few chestnuts for my personal use. The ground is covered with them, but many trees not dropping yet.

I took note of my Dolgo Crabs. They sure do look good right now considering our drought.

n4RqZrA.jpg