All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's eat some fresh 2019 apples

Norland tasted good. Really our first apple of the fall.
bb4a07d749b5822d91483f1fa4a88a83.jpg
d2f7a72ac149c677e6b3804607dd16e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art, a new study finds that we should be eating apple cores. Looks like you came close to polishing that one off. See link below:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness...inds-eating-apple-including/story?id=64530844

Norland tasted good. Really our first apple of the fall.
bb4a07d749b5822d91483f1fa4a88a83.jpg
d2f7a72ac149c677e6b3804607dd16e8.jpg

Art, a new study finds that we should be eating apple cores. Looks like you came close to polishing that one off. See link below:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness...inds-eating-apple-including/story?id=64530844

When I was a kid in northern Minnesota, the only apple we had was dolgo.
I learned to like them. Pop’em in your mouth and chew the whole thing up. The first one was sour and then they tasted great. A little bit of water core helped.

Cider might have more bacteria?? Especially if we run the crabs through a garbage disposal first??

497a46e2f10b706fd6f0fcce9969715b.jpg

Awesome. My trees are only 3 years old, so what you saw in my picture was my entire crop.

497a46e2f10b706fd6f0fcce9969715b.jpg

Awesome. My trees are only 3 years old, so what you saw in my picture was my entire crop.

I have about a thirty year old dolgo across the ditch on the back corner of our farm. I always ask my neighbor if I can drive his field road whether than wade or jump the ditch and waddle across the swamp.
Two years ago, an old doe was snorting at me and wasn’t happy I was picking her apples.

This tree in the picture is 50 yards from the house and much younger.

Well, my Roxbury's are starting to fall, and the taste is good - not what I would call "Crisp" but nevertheless a sweet/ nutty flavor. This young tree only had about 15 apples, but at this size I think that is about 15 apple pies!

uckCoMi.jpg

Last edited:
Trailman crab seeds are brown. Probably time for applesauce this weekend.

Trailman crab seeds are brown. Probably time for applesauce this weekend.

It looks like Centennial will go in sauce first, with a few Almata added for color.
c5a77fb0395b10b0adb2a8f15db17648.jpg
30fa1138c5cc979476f134834298f25e.jpg

A few Trailman easily pull off the tree. Probably work on them this weekend also.
4128a97649fcee388fecc6dda23e5122.jpg

LRylEYl.jpg

Which variety?

That's the last of my Myers Royal Limbertwigs. A few had fallen and the hornets had started to drill some of the ones still hanging, so I just went ahead and picked the rest of them. My guess is that we got close to 25 - 30 gallons of apples off this relatively small tree. I'm putting some in the basement for late winter eating and my son is dehydrating the rest.

PS: This apple originated in Tennessee. The man who it is credited to said it was the best cider apple he had ever seen, and that is saying a lot since he was an apple man.

Did some mowing at the farm today. Noticed that my Dolgos look good this year. Good taste and slow drop.

p9vfAzO.jpg

npGm5by.jpg

Do I see some CAR on those? Dolgo seedlings or grafted dolgo? My grafted dolgo don’t show much CAR.
Some seedlings do.

Did some mowing at the farm today. Noticed that my Dolgos look good this year. Good taste and slow drop.

p9vfAzO.jpg

npGm5by.jpg

I am waiting a few more days before making dolgo apple sauce.

Do I see some CAR on those? Dolgo seedlings or grafted dolgo? My grafted dolgo don’t show much CAR.
Some seedlings do.

That is a grafted Dolgo and yes you do see some CAR. For my area of the country that is minor CAR and doesnt affect cropping. Only our absolute best cultivars will not show any CAR.

PS: I suspect Dolgo is like Kieffer Pear, even with grafted ones. There are about a thousand different ones that people call Dolgo but they really aren’t. I know a Fake Kieffer when I see one but not so sure about Dolgo.

This is another crabapple called Eliza's Choice. This tree has only been topworked 2 years. It was way overloaded with fruit, and I thinned it three times this year for fear it would break at the graft. I probably removed three times as many crabs as you see.

This cultivar was found growing wild near McMinville TN and is advertised as a November and October dropper. I can believe it, because the fruit is just barely turning red at this time. I will keep an eye on it, but appears to be a winner. The fruit doesn't look quite as "clean" as my Dolgos, but plenty good enough for deer food.

UVtvHUu.jpg

Yes sir !! Dandy looking tree.