All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LC Mix variation question...

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
Its been raining here pretty much nonstop for about a week. Lots of flooding in the surrounding areas but fortunately I don't live near any trouble. Estimated to have 7.5 inches of rain by the time it's all over. Obviously can't get out to the Property this weekend and it'll probably be too muddy to do anything next weekend. I'm out of town the weekend after that.

So I've just been reading and thinking this weekend. I reread sections of Grow em Right and have been reading a lot from Jeff Sturgis' blog. Here's my question...Jeff sturgis writes about his layered food plot system where he basically plants his oats, peas, etc... in late July or early to mid August and then follows up by overseeding rye a couple times in two week intervals after September 1st. I know he's further north than I am but I was wondering if that would work in central Missouri too.

Last year, my first, I had good success just using rye, oats, clover mix, and GHFR over Labor Day weekend. The radishes though were only useful for the tops. I'd like to see if I could get more growth out of them this year by planting earlier. I also plan to add the peas this year. Last year I had no soil test. This year I've done soil tests (posted on a separate thread). I've added lime and my fertilizer actually came in Friday and I had planned on putting that down next weekend. Not sure that'll be possible now. I've got a 3/8 acre area I'd like to try the brassica rotation but I'm really not sure it'd last being that small or that my soil is ready for that yet.

Last year I started to get decent growth after a couple weeks but the deer didn't start using it until it was about four weeks old. Our bow season opens September 15th. I'd like to have a draw by then if possible.

Instead of trying the brassica portion What would your thoughts be on just maintaining the clover through the spring and summer and planting the bulk of the LC cereal mix in mid August and then overseeding the rye Labor Day weekend? My biggest concern, other than weather, would be the oats not being palatable anymore by the end of October or early November. While I had hopes of getting a dozer in to create more food plot area the weather has just been too wet to get him back there. I've only got a little over an acre total to work with for now.

Last edited:
I used to think that the deer only liked the young cereal grains then the last couple years I've planted my cereal grain portion of the LC mix mid Aug because of timing on muley hunts out west and found out the deer here really don't care one way or the other, they use it.

Cereal grains planted mid Aug.

I have tried to "layer" cereal grains last year. I planted mid August, which was early, and then came back sept first and put down another bag of rye. The deer did use it but it wasn't anything magical or different than any other year. So if your dead set on wanting to layer your plots go for it, they are still going to use it otherwise plant everything around that sept 1st time frame and call it good. my cereals don't really shine until other forage around me are gone. Middle of oct until there is snow on the ground, it's great but it never gets more that 12 inches tall because of the date planted.

Only time I would worry about layering is if you have pretty heavy deer use or use something that the frost will kill off. If you use oats, then layering with wheat or rye later would be a good idea after the oats die from the frost OR if the deer hammer them and it is too late to plant oats again. "Layering" is to keep something fresh in front of the deer, but I don't think it's always needed. Some folks like to plant a early fall plot of peas and oats and then over-seed wheat or rye later once the deer have hammered the oats and peas, again just to keep food in the plot. I don't get the deer traffic so I can plant my fall annuals once and be done with it.

I think my biggest question really is with regard to the timing of the planting. Can I get by with planting two weeks earlier with the oats, radish, clover and peas to get more growth for a longer period of time, then add the rye later? In other words, what's the negative impact that can happen with palatabilty of the oats planting two weeks before Labor Day?

Maybe I should just experiment and do half my plots a little earlier and the other half Labor Day weekend and just see what happens.

I always plant the grain portion Labor Day weekend. On average it works pretty well. It's hard to give the perfect date, weather is a huge variable. You may plant the middle of August but it's so dry it doesn't germinate or at least doesn't grow fast until a month later when it gets rain. It's happened more than once to me in MO. Same with the brassica portion, I always plant the weekend closest to July 25. Many years it's so dry the seed lays there for 2-3 weeks before it gets rain to germinate. Then factor in the warm winters we've been having causing a long growing season and less deer pressure to complicate things even further.

Last year we planted LC mix early (for a variety of reasons). Planted two small plots, 8/11 in WI.

One plot, they didn't use heavily and the oats got very tall and headed out.
The other, they kept it mowed and it was never a problem.

I don't have a ton of experience but I think it would work fine to plant everything mid-August and then come back labor day and spread the Rye.

I would think the only issue with planting too early would be if it actually tries to go into it's grain producing cycle. Most plants get tough when that happens as they are spending resources in other aspects other than vegetative growth.....the part deer like. Another issue MAY be weather related....too early and you could get a summer time spot shower and trigger germination and then go weeks without another drop. The seed germinates and then dies before it ever has a chance......that will be a local sort of thing you will have to consider. Not saying any of this is written in stone, just some things to consider.