All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lawn mower Plot, Before and After

Jack Pine Savages do the same thing.

D*mn MNFish, I'm impressed! When you said "lawnmower" I half expected to see an old Cub or Bolens rider, not a push mower!:eek: What all did you have in there, I see chicory, birdsfoot trefoil, and clover. Did I miss anything? Maybe a brassica?

This is why I've done so much reading here over the past few weeks. I'm finally realizing that I can have a positive effect on some land I have and stumbled across this site..... I have little more than what you have MNFISH and am ready to jump in with both feet as soon as this weekend.

Thanks to you and so many others for the inspiration and confidence that I don't need $25,000 worth of equipment that I'd spend more time maintaining than using to effectively plant a few acres of my woods.

that looks really good! did you mow, spray, seed?

I am blessed with the greatest soil on this stretch. It's almost like a food plot on hydroponic peat (don't ask me about my hydo experience. What can I say, I like "tomatoes" after the hunt ;)).

thats funny right there....yeah....uh.....tomatoes.

Think I see some bedstraw in there...I've seen deer munching on the young stuff before
That may be what I thought was BT. I guess I thought bedstraw had skinnier and more "leaves" on each stem.

Pretty much Phil. This was thick with RC and stinging nettle. This year I should be able to get by with just one spraying.

Mow (april)...Spray(May15)....Spray(June15)....Broadcast(June15), cultipack with ATV...Broadcast/cultipack again (Aug)

I pretty much follow the same method..timing is a little different for me...and i use a weedwhacker. Always amazes me how well the plots turn out with little to no real equipment!

Where there is a will there is a way! That looks like an awesome kill plot.

Here was the "boy friend" (pictured on another plot). I know to most of you its not that impressive. To me, if I could have figured out how to get within 30yds of him, the arrow was coming out!

View attachment 3622
thats a good looking buck right there man!

I'd shoot that buck all day back home where I hunt in Juneau Co. Most likely he would have gotten a pass if I saw him while I hunting near the areas where I live.;)

Determination and work = Success

Good deer, Jeff.

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. They indicate you are in the right crowd!

FISH - that's a nice buck - I wouldn't let him walk past.

Just plain impressive for minimal equipment.

I'm not going to say it, I'm not going to say it, I'm not going to say it. I'm a sick boy is all I'm going to say.

I'm not going to say it, I'm not going to say it, I'm not going to say it. I'm a sick boy is all I'm going to say.
"That's what she said"

Yep - pretty much. Sorry - that was just the first thing that popped into my mind when you posted that.

Cool plot!

Looks very nice

I don't know what it is about working hard at food plots and seeing wildlife benefit from it, but I'd much rather do what you did MNFISH on your own property then pay to go shoot a 180" deer somewhere. Nice work!