Land tour question

I am 100% certain everyone will be awestruck.

My great grandparents picked quite a spot to homestead.

A wild guess from the photos, but lots of white oak there?

Burr and Red mainly.

When Foggy came to pick up my flex 71 planter, now his, Stu and Art came with. Took Art and Stu for a small tour, Could have used more time, Foggy was too sore, had to cut short mini tour. Would like to do another, maybe next spring. Need attendees.

Nice constructive criticism Jeff, you're spot on! I was pissed when my beer got warm and I couldn't replace it with a fresh one as my throat was parched from all the talking.

Informative - invite EVERYBODY!!!! Do it with leaves on the trees, folks will need to see the cover you can create with the different methods and they will struggle to do so when all they see is sticks! Folks are going to want to see what's growing in your plots as well. Just my opinion here, but those not as experienced in habitat work tend to need more of a visual to get their attention. Have something they can take with them, a flyer or something in case you have a new "convert". Ask for questions or subjects at the very start - that way you can try to cover those with a good example along the way. Show them the success you have had - both with habitat and the deer you have taken - it's all just talk unless you have deer to prove it!

Objective based - invite a small group of experienced habitat guys familiar with your general deer and area. Define what the few things are you want the groups input on - when you get to the area - take notes as they will be forgotten along the way. Focus on the areas you want to address and then move on if time permits. Do this in the late winter early spring - experienced habitat guys are going to want to see more of the lay of the land and how the various pieces fit together - that is much easier to do without leaves on the trees. Be prepared to "sketch" out various ideas as a visual makes communication much clearer.

I think you have to look at what the function will be - and let that guide your efforts.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I think you have to look at what the function will be - and let that guide your efforts.

Drink beer and tell lots of tall tales...... Thats a good start. :)

I'm usually up around early may and wouldn't mind going to a tour or 2 when up. Stu and Lee have been to mine and have given me some great ideas.

Stu-thanks for the help today!

As far as what to cover, I'd say that you should hit your "best" spots, and then your most problematic areas. For someone who has never been on a land tour, I think that I'd find the most use out of seeing what works, and then areas that aren't working. I think a lot of us have great/good places, and then problem areas. We might not have the same situation (plants, soil, etc...) but I think that it'd be great to get ideas for what to do, and what not to do! If I were closer, I'd love to go on some land tours!