Land tour question

biglakeba$$

5 year old buck +
For a land tour, how in depth is good?

i was just thinking about this after reading Riggs tour from this past weekend.

What is the "proper" land tour?

Scope every square inch? Leave certain spots alone? Leave a "sanctuary" alone?

Then there is the right time of the year. Best time is obviously late spring. Least impact on animals and to "recover" from the invasion of bodies.

Its impossible to get the right crowd of guys at the right time. It almost has to come down to the best time for the most people.

Is it about a small sacrifice to open it all up at a possible non-perfect time?

I want to do one bad, and I dont really care a lot about a short term impact if it requires that.

I think your land tour needs to focus on what you feel are the biggest problems with your hunting land first. Then if the tour has time look at other things.

Geez.... all I need to do is feed people eats and treats?

I am up for the challenge. :)

No offense Riggs. ;)

I have a smoker ready to rock. The fridge is full of Bahh...... Soda... (Stole that from Tommy Boy).

What sucks is I want to do one ASAP.... but I dont think its probably best to do with archery opener beating down our door in the next month. CRRRAAPPPP>>>>>

I can get enough ATVs to run the 120 acres for several people... but that begs the next question. How much invasion of privacy is warranted?
I am willing to cover every dang square inch to be very honest. Walking 120 acres is not going to be done in a few hours.

A land tour can be as small as the owner and 3 guys and you learn a lot.

I like late winter/early spring for less impact on the deer.
I have attended several and all have been great. Our group at Rigg's had a diversity of interest and experiences, but that is what makes it great (besides the food being great).
I just served burned pizza at my first land tour and some of the guys even came back again!

Plus I just like to get to know the guys on the forum. I can email or call any of the guys I have met and get a good honest answer at any time.

Feed and "water" folks and they have a tendency to show up

I fed people at my sons grad party to the tune of 40+ lbs of pulled pork, and his cronies voted it the best pulled pork they had at any grad party.

The kid that started the vote, at his grad party they paid a guy $1200 to come on site to smoke a whole pig..... I spent less than $100 on butts and ingredients. :D

I can make it happen. My doctor just doesnt agree with me, and its never a level headed discussion with him....... I like to eat and feed!

Mark_I would wait until you are done hunting. I know you have a nice buck up there or two and don't ruin your chances. It would take 2 or more weeks to plan it and that is too close to season.

Don't even worry about food and drink. People can go to a local establishment and buy their own. That is what I did the second time as the group was too big and money is short at times. I guess I am just too cheap!

I think Art is right. Have the tour after season and you will be able to see things a lot more clearly anyway!

Toms Land tour was very good I thought last winter. Nothing wrong with ending the day at the Bar to me!

I sure would like to walk some of that Ottertail Country land. It would probably make me want to move, but I have put 28 years of effort into where I now live.

For a land tour, how in depth is good?

i was just thinking about this after reading Riggs tour from this past weekend.

What is the "proper" land tour?

Scope every square inch? Leave certain spots alone? Leave a "sanctuary" alone?

Then there is the right time of the year. Best time is obviously late spring. Least impact on animals and to "recover" from the invasion of bodies.

Its impossible to get the right crowd of guys at the right time. It almost has to come down to the best time for the most people.

Is it about a small sacrifice to open it all up at a possible non-perfect time?

I want to do one bad, and I dont really care a lot about a short term impact if it requires that.
I can tell you from experience scoping every square inch is hard to do as the time goes quick when you have time for food and hanging out. The thing I regret is not having a discussion time and that's why I started a thread.

Zorbaz is close. But damn is that place 'spensive!

I like our lake view from the rooftop on the boathouse with the fridge full of complimentary beverages only feet away.

I agree, as quickly as I want to do this, its not feasible this year. My preference is something where we could see more of the look of the land with some spring life.
The winter thing is ok, but for some reason I think seeing it with some life is helpful as well.

I can tell you from experience scoping every square inch is hard to do as the time goes quick when you have to have time for food and hanging out. The thing I regret is not having a discussion time and that's why I started a thread.

Thats why I wonder about loading up on ATVs out there. Cover the ground and get to key areas quick.

I can easily get a half dozen ATVs out there. One of those is a Rhino side by side with a box that we can toss Foggy into and wrap him in bubble wrap. He will be fine in the dump box!

Zorbaz is close. But damn is that place 'spensive!

I like our lake view from the rooftop on the boathouse with the fridge full of complimentary beverages only feet away.

I agree, as quickly as I want to do this, its not feasible this year. My preference is something where we could see more of the look of the land with some spring life.
The winter thing is ok, but for some reason I think seeing it with some life is helpful as well.

It is, but I can tell a lot more about the property with the leaves off than on. I think it would work either way, what ever time of year you put it together.

True..... I suppose each season has its own unique view into the world.

ATV tour it is. I have trails covering the property from corner to corner.

At the end of the tour, I am afraid the crew is going to lash me 10 times for having a trail through the best area..... A risk I am willing to take.

I agree with others on seeing things more clearly after the season but my place would have been pretty boring in the winter. That's why I chose to do it now and was pretty lucky with the turn out.

You cant get to this spot without a trail going through the best cover....

upload_2015-8-17_21-24-13.png

upload_2015-8-17_21-25-3.png

Another view.

Atv sure makes getting around my place easier, but since the swamp road is in, it's not such a necessity anymore.

Beautiful country, Mark!