cedars

Thank you Native! I appreciate it. This sounds like a hybrid approach where it is neither eradication of cedars, nor just letting them come at will, but also killing fescue. I know that will thicken things up for sure with a variety of forbes.

I had some cedars coming on strong in my old pasture ground, in 10 years they've gotten to about 8-12' tall. Unfortunately with the harsh winter we've had this year, the deer pruned them all back from 6' and below. Damn...

I'm trying to get cedars to grow in the many acres of swamp land I've got. Trying to get a few rows growing across the swamp to encourage deer to travel where I want.
I think white cedar is a good swamp tree, not sure about ERC.

I am going to trim some of the limbs back on the south side about 5ft up to see if that makes a difference

I am going to trim some of the limbs back on the south side about 5ft up to see if that makes a difference
I've noticed that they like the overhead cover so try not to prune too much for the branches that would be overhanging where the beds are.

I pruned the bottom limbs on a couple cedars in a bedding area to see what would happen. One tree became a rub and was actually killed. The other did not and when it filled in with grass underneath, it became a preferred bedding tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think white cedar is a good swamp tree, not sure about ERC.
ERC will withstand wet feet better than junipers but not for any period of time.

Wish I had way more cedars. The small areas we have of them are near the road but still provide cover and bedding. I'd stick to your plan of letting them grow and then thinning as required. Deer love them. Here's my son with 2 right side sheds under one cedar, a few feet apart.

20210324_153716.jpg20210324_153747.jpg20210324_153940.jpg

Heres what small groves of cedars can do.I think after seeing this on the new 80 I will trim some bottom limbs for bedding.They are moving through these and bedding at all times of day
Impressive. What kind of structure is in the back of those pics. It looks like more sunlight in that area. Temps are probably correct on the camera? Deer probably still have their winter coats?