Lady Slipper

MA VT Flatlander

5 year old buck +
Lady Slipper 2014-06-01 002.JPG Spotted this one while picking up fire wood today. Not many around here any more, they use to be alot of them around at one time. This is the only one I have seen in a few years. I wonder if deer eat them?Lady Slipper 2014-06-01 001.JPG

My mother in law goes crazy over these. We have two spots of them, they are in the same place every year.

I had some yellow lady slippers on my property at my old cabin. They bloomed each year. Considered digging them up and taking them along....but resisted the temptation. I much prefer the beauty of the Pink ones......but both are simply rare and beautiful. :)

Chummer,

Are they the pink or yellow?

I was hiking on the Appalachian trail early spring a few years ago and they was a yellow one right in the middle of the trail.
They are pink.

I had some yellow lady slippers on my property at my old cabin. They bloomed each year. Considered digging them up and taking them along....but resisted the temptation. I much prefer the beauty of the Pink ones......but both are simply rare and beautiful. :)
I tell my MIL that she better not show me where they are or I will dig them up. I believe she has threatened my life if I touch them. It gets me out of spending more time with her.

cool plant I need some of those!

Awesome looking slipper. They are an amazing flower. We have probably 200-300 yellow slippers and a group of 3 pink ones. Great find.

Wow,
What state are you in? Do you see any sign of deer eating them ?
MN.

I have never seen or heard of deer eating them.

I came across a lot of pink ones this morning while looking for morels. They are blooming pretty good right now.

MN.

I have never seen or heard of deer eating them.
Is our showy pink and whit lady slipper different than the one shown? Maybe different species?

I came across these 3 leafed plants with no flowers. Thoughts on what these are?
ACEC4046-9DD6-4204-BC6B-030033FD8A11-3938-000005519B035ABA_zps6ac6806e.jpg
It seems to me that plant gets a single berry on a long stem. I am struggling to remember the name.

I'll bet Stuart knows.

Is our showy pink and whit lady slipper different than the one shown? Maybe different species?
The showy pink is a different species, or at least a different subspecies. Not sure exactly. The Greater yellow is normally the type I see and they look just like the pink ones posted. I think the showy is bigger, my wife's mother had one that died 2 years ago after 15 or so years. I don't know much but I think there are 4 or 5 different varieties.

I came across these 3 leafed plants with no flowers. Thoughts on what these are?
ACEC4046-9DD6-4204-BC6B-030033FD8A11-3938-000005519B035ABA_zps6ac6806e.jpg

It seems to me that plant gets a single berry on a long stem. I am struggling to remember the name.

I'll bet Stuart knows.

If your thought was Jack-in-the -Pulpit, I don't think that is what you have. The leaves don't look quite right.

NH Mountains, I think what you have there are Bluebead Lillie's that aren't flowing.image.jpg

I was thinking blue bead lily, also.

Single blue berry on a stem, right?

They can have multiple berries that look like blueberries.

Here's a nice pic of a pink lady slipper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 8
i had a pile of yellow lady slippers in the ditch at my other property.I wanted to transplant some but was told they are protected and hard to transplant.So along comes the highway department and redigs the ditches.Havent seen a lady slipper since.

we get PLENTY of showy slippers up here. they bloom mid June and driving around in swamps they're everywhere on my buddies property, and ditches are literally lined with them in certain areas. I emailed the dnr asking if I could transplant some from my property if they were jn an area that might get destroyed and the lady said they are tough to transplant and survive. I think you can move them, but not interstate or dig them up and sell them. I'll have to dig up that email again. I've wanted to transplant some to my house off the farm but I'm scared I'll kill one. they take 14 years to bloom, so I look at them like majestic oaks. stood the testament of time to get where they are, so why mess with them. of course I wouldn't feel bad if there were clumps of them all over