Kieffer pear ?

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
We have 5 Kieffer pears on a newer tree at camp. Mostly green with a little red blush on the sunny side. They were bigger than I expected, too. When do these things ripen ?? We're border of zone 6 and 5 - North-central Pa.

In my experience near end of October into Nivember. Mine are so loaded that I have been knocking some off because I have branches breaking. They get big and the deer love them

Thanks Aero. One of our members is gonna pick them - he likes pears big-time. Right now, deer aren't even eating the apples on the ground. TONS of acorns in the woods and the deer & bears are on them and letting the fallen apples alone !! We've never grown Kieffers at camp and wondered why they were still so green.

Kieffers are a hard textured pear, so dont wait for them to get soft. I have never had a soft one, they always seem to have a crunch to them like many of the Asian pears.

Last edited:
They don't get soft and remain green. They are pretty tasty and make great perry

Update on the Kieffer pears - We tried eating a couple at camp this past Saturday, 11-1. They were pretty much green with a red blush on the sunny side and pretty firm. But the taste was very good !! They seem to grow pretty fast (trees), and we're looking forward to next year's progress. Aero is right in his description above. ^^^^

Most of mine are on ground now getting soft but the deer are loving them

One of our members picked the last couple Kieffers for eating, so the deer didn't get ANY - this year !! Next year should be pretty interesting on our 3 pear trees. 3rd year in the ground and they should put on a lot of growth, so pear crop should be up some. Good to hear the deer are feasting on yours, Aero !!

I picked one up 3 years ago at orschlens farm supply on a whim. Still hasn't made a pear and it's at least 10 feet tall.

Going to try printing it.

I picked one up 3 years ago at orschlens farm supply on a whim. Still hasn't made a pear and it's at least 10 feet tall.

Going to try printing it.
Do they need a pollinator?

Sent from my 8g phone.

Pears typically take a couple more years than apples to bear. But once they do they tend to be consistent producers. Most pears are self fertile, but cross pollination produces a heavier crop.

I thought I read somewhere they would self pollinate. Maybe a second couldn't hurt.

How far north can these go?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

A lot of the stuff I'm reading says 4.

A lot of the stuff I'm reading says 4.

Are we still talking Kieffer? Might see some stuff that says to zone 4, but I see alot of sources that quote zone 5-9. I have Kieffers that have survived to -20, but that doesnt mean that I would reccomend them to that level.

Debating a few for 5b/4a

Debating a few for 5b/4a

I'm in Michigan at 5a/b. I planted two tsc closeouts and they made it through last winter (the coldest in a while). Windchill took it to -20 to -30 on a handful of times (maybe a week's worth... but no more than 2 consecutive).

If you'd plant them in a more sheltered area they might work.

I'd say it's close enough to plant one or two to test it out, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. If they make it a few years, then plant some more if you'd like.

I got my Kieffer's from Morse Nursery...on their site it says for Zones 3-8......my land is on Beaver Island...says Zone 5B, but I typically won't buy anything unless it is hardy to Zone 4.....hope I didn't screw up! All survived last winter, however, they are much too young to produce, so only time will tell.

I got my Kieffer's from Morse Nursery...on their site it says for Zones 3-8......my land is on Beaver Island...says Zone 5B, but I typically won't buy anything unless it is hardy to Zone 4.....hope I didn't screw up! All survived last winter, however, they are much too young to produce, so only time will tell.

I think you'll be ok. I'd say almost anything you get from Morse you should subtract at least one zone for.