Kerr or dolgo

I bought Kerr and Dolgo crabapples From SLN and they’re doing great. We had a tough winter this year but they have very cold hardy rootstock so I’m guessing they’ll be fine.

Previously I was really high on Liberty and Enterprise and while I still am, my future deer orchards will be heavy on Dolgo, Chestnut, and Kerr. One thing I like about SLN is they have a great selection of crabapples.

As of this spring my camp will have it's 5th Chestnut crab from SLN. Sandbur has Chestnut crabs and if they grow for him in the tundra, I figure they'll do fine for us.

I've sent several e-mails since early 2017 to Connor Hardiman at SLN informing him of the habitat market (and cider market) for good crab apples. He assured me in his response that he'd be gearing up for crabs, and he said he'd be crazy to ignore the crab market. I look for more good crabs from SLN.

Bluehill is going to be my go to for crabs now, as I prefer his rootstock over Ant, 16 varieties targeting strictly wildlife, and I can avoid shipping costs and heading of the trees

Bluehill is going to be my go to for crabs now, as I prefer his rootstock over Ant, 16 varieties targeting strictly wildlife, and I can avoid shipping costs and heading of the trees

And he has some northern scion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be checking out Bluehill also.

Charman, his stuff sure looks intriguing. Do you think he has enough of a reputation built up? Do you trust that the trees he's selected are the real deal? I looked at his FB pg. at length some time ago, but forgot some of his details.

He’s essentially cherry picking some wild crabs he’s been watching for awhile for best drop times and disease resistance. He’s got a lot of common crabs too. I think he’s got some good stuff. I got a few of his pears, will get crabs next spring hopefully if I find more room