Kansas 9 point

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
Ive got some of it posted in the live stand thread but will cover the whole story.

Flooding really screwed my place through the summer. As such I had little deer use. I lost a doe really early that made me sick and had me ready to give up. Guys here said to keep practicing and keep at it. Couple weeks later I had an old roman nose doe at 14 yards and heart shot her. That killed my sparse deer activity. Then rifle season came and everything went nocturnal.

I hunted Dec 25th and never saw a deer. I wasnt going to hunt yesterday but the wife told me to give it a whirl. I climbed in at 3 and didnt see a deer till a doe was 200 yards SE of me about 5. With 20 min of light left a deer stepped out 26 yards south of me. I immediately knew he looked mature. Ive let alot of small deer walk early on. None got my pulse racing and my knees weak. As soon as I got a good look at him I had weak knees and my heart pounding. I let him keep coming. He was about under me when I let the arrow fly. 21 ft up thats a pretty steep angle. I let it sit for an hour before the wife and I went out. Blood at the site but I am not a good trailer and being on mud didnt help. I backed out and called a buddy with a blood dog. Another buddy just got off and I am on his way home so he stopped. The dog was instrumental in finding him. The deer went about 125 yards. My 2 blade rage took out the liver, through the diaphragm, and out the guts. He is a 9 point. He does have a kicker coming off a base that almost touches his skull that technically could make him a 10. He has large bases. With one of my buddies talking me through it I field dressed him, andpacked the cavity full of ice. He is getting turned into burger and jalapeno and cheese summer sausage. His head will be a euro mount and is at the taxi.
20191227_203711.jpg20191228_102156.jpg

Congrats!

Hell yes!
You put in some impressive stand time this year...Congrats!

Nice buck, I like those high narrow racks!

Little more to add. Coworker hunts 3/4 mile south on the other side of the creek. Day before thanksgiving he let this buck walk. He said he thinks he was 4.5 years old. He has several trail cam pics he is going to send me. He said he was kicking himself for letting it walk.

Nice buck!! Congrats

Congrats!!!! Great buck and I love those tall racks. Good job!

That turned out nice.

KS ... we hunt and sometimes we fail, and sometimes we succeed. Not always about the trophy, sometimes the chase and recovery is way more important ... Nice work!

Taxidermist thought he was probably 4.5 yr old. Ill take that.

He explained it to me, but I wasnt really listening. I got sidetracked ust admiring all the huge deer he was working on. He has some absolute monsters. I asked him to age him when I dropped him off.

Usually they look at their teeth. Older deer and their back molars that start to round off as their food source and grit from the ground wear the molars down.

Not an exact science, but a good local taxidermist knows a lot about the local deer and food sources.