John Deere 4600 FWA With Loader!

I second the notion of a sickle mower. I've used my brush hog for cutting crp and clover and its not the best way to go for larger plots. I've seen some nice sickle mowers for sale but I know nothing about them and that's why I haven't pulled the trigger on one.

I second the notion of a sickle mower. I've used my brush hog for cutting crp and clover and its not the best way to go for larger plots. I've seen some nice sickle mowers for sale but I know nothing about them and that's why I haven't pulled the trigger on one.
I am thinking of a Flail mower for Prairie Grass as it suppose to mulch the clipings into smaller pieces. The sickle mower would require you to do something with the cutting/thatch otherwise it would mat. I have not used a flail mower but that is what has been recommended on a different pheasant forum. They did not recommend a brush mower for prairie grass either.

I think one of those old sickles would plug like crazy if that prairie grass is thick. You would have to move slowww. 3 pt disc mower would be better, but like you said then it wouldn't be chopped.

I just looked on CL and saw a couple flail mowers for just under $3k, but here is 7' for 1,500! https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/grd/5210690703.html

One of the older IH tractors like 504, 666, 766 should work well handling one of those. Watch CL and you might find one around $3k that is in decent shape. Should be easy for your wife to run with a little practice as well.

I would love to have that flail mower!!!! Just not in the budget at this time. Dang it.

I think one of those old sickles would plug like crazy if that prairie grass is thick. You would have to move slowww. 3 pt disc mower would be better, but like you said then it wouldn't be chopped.

I just looked on CL and saw a couple flail mowers for just under $3k, but here is 7' for 1,500! https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/grd/5210690703.html

One of the older IH tractors like 504, 666, 766 should work well handling one of those. Watch CL and you might find one around $3k that is in decent shape. Should be easy for your wife to run with a little practice as well.
I am not familar with Mathews Company mowers but a quick Google check and it appears they have been around for awhile. Anybody familar with these units? I wonder how parts and service availability would be?