Japanese beetles

Charman03

5 year old buck +
Just checked my trees here at the house and the beetles are thick already. Seems early to me. Anyhow, best spray for them? I have sevin dust, bonide fruit tree spray, captan and imidan wp

I prefer Imidan (wp). I used to use Bonide but it wasn't strong enough.

They are TERRIBLE this year! Most I've ever seen, I've got soybeans next to me and that really brings them. Haven't noticed a lot of eating yet but it's a beetle orgy everywhere I look.

Liquid Sevin also works very well once you are passed the thinning period for apples.

Just checked my trees here at the house and the beetles are thick already. Seems early to me. Anyhow, best spray for them? I have sevin dust, bonide fruit tree spray, captan and imidan wp

For trees where I'm not going to eat the fruit, I like permethrin.

I just got done spraying my trees. About half had Japanese bettles on them and I noticed many more than last year. I gave them a good dose of Imidan.

Hit mine with imidan today, will need to hit my other property hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday as I'm sure they are thick over there too. Wife hit the rose bushes with the powder sevin, I'm also going to pickup the liquid sevin that TC stated above.

I'm really learning the importance of a good spraying ritual this year.

I have to get some liquid Sevin...those bastards have completely defoliated a couple young hazelnuts and are beating the shit out of the young trees in the shrub strips!
I would like to find the guy that introduced those stupid things to the USA and punch him in the face.....maybe.... rant over.

Is anyone in MN seeing them yet? The last 2 years they have decimated my apple and birch trees. Last year I treated the area with the milky spore stuff and haven't seen one yet? I hope that is a good sign they I got them good.

When I did have the liquid Sevin knocked them down real quick!!

I planted bicolor lespedezia this year and they have swarmed them. I can’t see them doing well if they are attacked on an annual basis like this.

3/4 of the leaves are gone in a few days.

Nova, I'm in the Twin Cities and saw my first few Sunday evening on my St. Croix Elm when I got home from the in-law's cabin. I remember reading somewhere that they typically hatch the first week of July down here but the heat we had earlier this spring must have jump started them. I need to spray for them on both the elm and river birch, just need the weather to cooperate. Maybe tonight.

I've had fantastic results with Tempo SC Ultra. I don't believe it's labeled for fruits/veggies but for ornamental plants I can't say enough good things about it. Works great on box elder bugs too.

Sevin liquid is the most awesome and kills those mothers

I had a swarm of them about two weeks back, but my spray system must be working to keep them off the apples

I know those @$$h•\€$ were chowing down on every one of my fruit trees. Sprayed them with Sevin concentrate (4 oz/gallon) this past weekend, and it seemed to p!$$ them off pretty good, but I didn't notice any of them dropping dead. Does it take a while, or should I have upped the concentration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know those @$$h•\€$ were chowing down on every one of my fruit trees. Sprayed them with Sevin concentrate (4 oz/gallon) this past weekend, and it seemed to p!$$ them off pretty good, but I didn't notice any of them dropping dead. Does it take a while, or should I have upped the concentration?

It takes a while. If you mixed 4 oz per gallon, that would definitely do the job. They will all be gone the next day.

It takes a while. If you mixed 4 oz per gallon, that would definitely do the job. They will all be gone the next day.
I agree, dont think I have ever used more the 2oz / gallon and at times I almost think that is overkill.

I agree, dont think I have ever used more the 2oz / gallon and at times I almost think that is overkill.
Same here, 2 oz per gallon has knocked them out of the tree almost immediately for me.

Ok appreciate it; I was following the directions on the bottle I promise, but I hate to use more than needed.

the manual on mine states mix 1.5 oz per gallon.

If I remember correctly without referring directly to the label that there are varying concentrations amount depending on crop and pest.