It looks like the honker crab had another good year!

Honker

5 year old buck +
This is a tree that existed on our place when we bought it. It was pretty well neglected but with a little TLC we managed to get it bear fruit annually instead of bi-annually. This tree hold it's fruit well into late November.
photo%202_zpsruuycxwm.jpg

Rifle season last year.
landapple_zps37088201.jpg

This is a tree that existed on our place when we bought it. It was pretty well neglected but with a little TLC we managed to get it bear fruit annually instead of bi-annually. This tree hold it's fruit well into late November.
photo%202_zpsruuycxwm.jpg

Rifle season last year.
landapple_zps37088201.jpg
Nice looking crab tree.

Now that right there's a pretty tree.:D

Looking good Honker!

Looks great honker. I managed to get one honker red and one honker yellow crab to take grafting. They are looking good, can't wait to move them out to the farm where they belong and start feeding some critters.

That's a heck-of-a nice tree, Honker. I'd be grafting some of those scions. It's proven itself already.

Thanks guys. Stu they're nothing to write home about. They taste mealy and bland but not astringent. A good tree for hunting near without being temped to go pick any. When I do get some grafted, I'll place the in fringe areas that don't receive human traffic.

Happy to hear you got some to take Ed. My grafts were a failure this year because I moved and neglected them because I didn't have time to get them to a nursery spot. I copied your raised garden idea an am set up now. I think the honeygold made it.

Bucks I plan to graft more in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Stu they're nothing to write home about. They taste mealy and bland but not astringent. A good tree for hunting near without being temped to go pick any. When I do get some grafted, I'll place the in fringe areas that don't receive human traffic.

Happy to hear you got some to take Ed. My grafts were a failure this year because I moved and neglected them because I didn't have time to get them to a nursery spot. I copied your raised garden idea an am set up now. I think the honeygold made it.

Bucks I plan to graft more in the future.

Cool if you need more scionwood this winter just let me know, i'd be happy to share.

Thanks Ed, I'll be in touch this spring.

How is it with regards to care? Any spraying, or just a good old wild producer?

I've never sprayed it. We cut the dead wood out and pruned it up when bought the place and probably forced it into being a biannual bearer. But have since been a little more conscientious pruning it and it's back to annual bearing. Like I said, the fruit is nothing special but the deer like it.

I've never sprayed it. We cut the dead wood out and pruned it up when bought the place and probably forced it into being a biannual bearer. But have since been a little more conscientious pruning it and it's back to annual bearing. Like I said, the fruit is nothing special but the deer like it.

Seems like a pretty darn good tree!