Is it possible to have too good of neighbors?

How much land does he have compared to you?

I'd also rather have that neighbor than a brown is down, poaching neighbor.

I would too. I'm probably spoiled in that regard.

He has 120 and I have 80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Focus on what he doesn't have.
2. Hunt later. Let your property be the place those deer run to when they are going through theirs. They may have it all, but if they can't hunt it correctly, you may just have to roll out the welcome mat.

It seems to me like all the conventional wisdom goes out the window when the lead starts flying.

Just offer the deer more entitlements on your side of the border: like free health care, free cell phones, and social security...for starters. I can guarantee you will have more critters coming across to your side of the line. ;)

While I loosely agree with others who are telling you to offer what he doesn't have, don't get too caught up worrying about him. Plant what produces the best results for you. Don't let his activities inhibit what you want to do.

120 acres is way too small for a bunch of mature bucks to co-exist during the rut. They will spread out in search of the girls, and you will benefit. IMHO
Completely agree.

We have a creek on our property and it is a major travel corridor but deer don't bed there. If he is getting pics of a bunch of bucks running the creek ridge it is strictly deer moving through. There is no improvement my neighbor could do that would make me worry he was going to kill 'my' bucks.

BJE...you've got a plan put together by a darn good deer guy. Put it to work and don't worry about the neighbors
I think Stu has it right. Have fun on your side of the fence and let him enjoy his side, also.
Worrying about neighbors has ruined too many hunts for me.

BJE...you've got a plan put together by a darn good deer guy. Put it to work and don't worry about the neighbors

Great way to put it. Thanks stu. I get too worked up about this stuff

I would take a neighbor like that over anything else!! Congrats!
You got food, cover, bedding, water and limited pressure you will attract doe groups intern bucks will come.
Your hunting will improve with a neighbor like that. Bucks don't know property lines

Do you share the whole south property line with this neighbor all the way from the road to your west property line? Or does he only share a common border with you on the "back 40"?

Do you share the whole south property line with this neighbor all the way from the road to your west property line? Or does he only share a common border with you on the "back 40"?

Only share on my back 40. Then his goes 2 40's more west. So his east most 40 is south of my west most 40. Does that make sense?

Yup and that is exactly what I thought. How is the other neighbor closest to the road on the south border?

Yup and that is exactly what I thought. How is the other neighbor closest to the road on the south border?
Good. He doesn't deer hunt. Just trains bird dogs once in awhile in the open crp. I can live with that.

Guy across the road has 80 and doesn't hunt either. Just takes wood to heat his home. Hardly ever there. Guys to the north own 80 the same as me. Only gun hunt and only the first two days. Hardly there. To the west is 320 of closed paper land. They lease it. That changes every year.

That sounds like a good situation for growing some older deer, get that plan in place after logging and let it play out for a bit like the others have said.
Take some advice from A-Rod, R-E-L-A-X!

I'm a little late to this party but I think having a good neighbor is far better than the other. you have to share the deer anyway as neither of you have enough property to essentially hold the deer captive. it sounds like the two of you can form a small cooperative and maybe build on that. My neighbor has much more cover than I do and they hunt brown is down, but they hunt on a fairly limited basis - I feed the deer they hold them. They don't hunt that smart either so that helps.

It takes a village - as they say. So unless you own the entire village you are going to have to share anyway. You have a partner now - see it as a positive.

I can assure you with 120 acres, multiple 120 plus mature bucks can and do carve out 20 acres and camp. Lived it, seen it, do it every year.
I would say that varies with the deer population, with the attitude of the specific buck, and with the climate.
My personal thoughts are that few do this in central Mn.

I'm a little late to this party but I think having a good neighbor is far better than the other. you have to share the deer anyway as neither of you have enough property to essentially hold the deer captive. it sounds like the two of you can form a small cooperative and maybe build on that. My neighbor has much more cover than I do and they hunt brown is down, but they hunt on a fairly limited basis - I feed the deer they hold them. They don't hunt that smart either so that helps.

It takes a village - as they say. So unless you own the entire village you are going to have to share anyway. You have a partner now - see it as a positive.

Well tell him to start sharing a couple of his 11 bucks then. ;)

Tongue in cheek of course.

I can assure you with 120 acres, multiple 120 plus mature bucks can and do carve out 20 acres and camp. Lived it, seen it, do it every year.

Maybe in high dpsm areas. When you have 2 or 3 mature bucks per square mile across that landscape I see no way you can hold one 32 of them on one square in the unit.

Guys, thanks for the consoling session. I think about this stuff any free time I get. I have a lot invested and are going to be investing more. So its important. So sometimes things get you down when you get some news you didn't expect.