Irrigation ideas for river food plots

akernoutdoors

Buck Fawn
Hi, I live in southeast Missouri and have several food plots throughout my farm. One is along a river and is one of my better plots. I am trying to figure out a way I can water it during the dry season. I am entertaining the idea of running a hose siphon and weaving a hose around the plot and poking holes in it to gently water the plot. my only issue is the lift from river to the plot is I'm guessing 15-20 near vertical lift. Any suggestions? Not opposed to buying cheap gas pump from harbor freight to if needed. Thanks in advance

What is the size of the plot? There is a really good tutorial online for irrigation. I think it is called irrigationtutorials.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the size of the plot? There is a really good tutorial online for irrigation. I think it is called irrigationtutorials.com

its about 3/4 acre. Its only about 30 yards wide but fairly long

Look at irrigationking.com. They have a ton of options with everything you need except pumps. Absolutewaterpumps.com will have those. Then of course, there's harbor freight. From what I've learned, you're gonna want to minimize lift height on the suction size. I think you'll lose 1 psi for every foot of vertical lift on the discharge side. Find your delivery system (guns, heads, drip, etc) and determine what you need to deliver the psi and flow rate. They have some guns that can htrow over 100 ft radius

its about 3/4 acre. Its only about 30 yards wide but fairly long

I hAve looked at irrigation conceptually for a while. I am designing a modular system and can be moved around.

Off what I know, you are gonna need a high pressure pump. I’d guess at least 90 psi, 7000 gph. Northerntools has one in the 550$ range. Please be aware, I highly doubt the harbor freight stuff will work for you.

I’d run a main line of 1.5” down the center and split off a 3-5 45’ radius sprinkler heads. That will cover most of your plot. Not perfect yard quality but likely to get the job done.

You want to be cautious of water hammer, which is high velocity through the pipes. Plenty of charts and tables out there, but it’s based on gPm and pipe diameter. You want to keep velocities below 5-7 ft/s.

You may have to run two 1.5” lines or up the initial line to a 2” line.

I’ve been looking at amazon fire hose type lines. Good price per foot.

Check out the tutoriala.

look up an off grid water ram pump setup, you can build it yourself, takes no electricity or gas powered pump at all to run. size it right the first time and never look back.

look up an off grid water ram pump setup, you can build it yourself, takes no electricity or gas powered pump at all to run. size it right the first time and never look back.
Doesn't your water source have to be higher than the pump? Those are new to me.

yes it does, but they do run 24 7 without external power, and then you can pump uphill.

What is your purpose for the plot? How much acreage do you control in total?

You had better check on your state's law regarding removing irrigation water from a river without a permit. Most places anymore require some kind of permit before you can remove water from a public lake or river or alter a river or the floodplain without a permit as well.

Even the largest ram pumps can only deliver 3-5 gallons per minute, and will require using 15-20 gallons of waste water. That is not good for irrigation.