All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iron and clay cowpeas planting advice needed

JFK52

5 year old buck +
I bought a 50 pound bag of iron and clay cowpeas this year to try something different. I have never planted them before. I believe a 50 pound bag will cover .75 to 1 acre. When do I plant them? I am in southern Portage county Wisconsin. Should I add something like black oil sunflower seeds to the mix to give them something to climb? If so, at what rate?
I plan on spraying the field with gly, disking, seeding with a belly seeder and then rolling in the seed and possibly taking a spike tooth drag to the field.
Any advice will be appreciated as this is a new project for me.

JFK: I read about this mixture trying to find the answer for you. This is broadcasted: 40-50lb acre peas, 10lbs Lab Lab and 5lb of Sunflower. It said the sunflowers could be overgrazed in high deer density. Not sure if this helped or not . Don’t forget the peas need to be inoculated .