Iowa Buck--Please help age??

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
Fence Jump Buck-15.jpg

Hey guys--This buck is on and around my farm in IA. I am not sure on his age, what do you think? Also, his long term potential?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I can't say I wouldn't have shot him as he crossed the fence! Well ok in IA I might not have? Looks to have a ton of potential, hopefully he hangs around for you! Oh yeah, 3.5

Last edited:
HA HA

That is an old pasture fence. I own on both sides.

Good potential, 2 1/2 - 3 years old. Give him another year or 2 and he will be a great deer.

What's his chances of making it through another season?

Nice deer I'm guessing 3 - it is IA! He doesn't quite have the body build that I would expect for a 4 or older buck IMO. He's going to be real hard to pass on next year......

Good question. I agree, 3.

in IA i would think 3 is reasonable. Hard to say with out seeing how "leggy" he his or isnt. doesnt look terribly wide....but his 4's have some very good length. I'd be fired to have him around for next year. Get out there and find his sheds!

This picture is from mid January so I am going on the assumption he has lost size on his body and neck after the rut. 3 minimum but I would guess 4. If this photo was from late October I would guess 2.

I'd guess 4.5. I'd say he's big enough now, so if he gets any bigger that's icing on the cake. Cool buck.

Good potential, 2 1/2 - 3 years old. Give him another year or 2 and he will be a great deer.

I'd say 50/50?

Definitely hunters in my area. I hope he sticks around, he might be much bigger next year. Hard to say?

My first impression was that he was pretty beefy for January. Hope he is 3.5 but he might be 4.

We saw a deer like that in MN back in the 70's. Puts him at 44 years old plus or minus.

L
We saw a deer like that in MN back in the 70's. Puts him at 44 years old plus or minus.

Yeah I wish I had one like that in MN....Sad really.

I'd say 50/50?

Definitely hunters in my area. I hope he sticks around, he might be much bigger next year. Hard to say?
What was your winter like at your farm? Your allot closer to Missouri than Minnesota. I bet he has had almost no stress this year. Should be a real good deer next year.

Hope you get a shot at him next year.

What was your winter like at your farm? Your allot closer to Missouri than Minnesota. I bet he has had almost no stress this year. Should be a real good deer next year.

Hope you get a shot at him next year.

Absolutely no stress on my farm in IA, or in MN. So I am hoping for good racks this year??

looks young 3.5 at most

I'd say a 3.5. I haven't seen many (probably not more than a handful) deer that are over 3.5 here in Michigan, and lots are on TV or the interweb. No doubt over a 2.5, but he doesn't have that brutish look of a 4.5, and also lacks the defining muscles (although he's certainly no slouch). Overall I'd say a small 4.5 or a pretty nice 3.5. Either way, he looks great for a deer in Jan... only 3 more months and he's back to feeding.