Iowa 25

This first picture is a Burford Pear grafted to OHXF87 I received this my first year getting scion from GRIN. Didn't really know what I was doing, nor have I heard much about it mentioned here.
img_6076-jpeg.52362

These next 2 pictures are Kieffer on OHXF87. Apparently these red spots on the leaves are caused by some sort of mite, but it shouldnt affect the tree or fruit much? These 2 trees are 10 feet + with no flowers.
IMG_6118.jpegIMG_6117.jpeg

Before removing some cherry trees to make room for Norway Spruce
img_6073-jpeg.52363

After, this also helped remove some canopy over this group of fruit trees.
img_6074-jpeg.52364

img_6114-jpeg.52361

IMG_6116.jpegIMG_6115.jpeg

Made a fruit press this winter to press some Aronia berries, will hopefully press some apples some day as well.
IMG_5802.jpegIMG_5803.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    934.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    997.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6076.jpeg
    IMG_6076.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6114.jpeg
    IMG_6114.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Nice, I like the press...I'll be doing that in a few years.

It took 5 years but I finally killed one on my own property. Im not sure if I was more excited to shoot him or take my son on his first tracking job. IMG_7462.jpegI believe increasing the cover has had the biggest impact on my property. This buck spent more time on my property this year than he has in the last 4 years. Can’t wait to see what the farm looks like in 5 more years.

It took 5 years but I finally killed one on my own property. Im not sure if I was more excited to shoot him or take my son on his first tracking job. View attachment 59677I believe increasing the cover has had the biggest impact on my property. This buck spent more time on my property this year than he has in the last 4 years. Can’t wait to see what the farm looks like in 5 more years.
Umm worth the wait! Congrats

Congrats, that drop tine is killer. It is so rewarding to harvest a great deer on a small property.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Holy Shi# that is a stud ! Congrats!

I was scrolling through the pictures here and noticed in one my my pics from May 2022 before pruning this burford pear back to promote branching. You can see it was just a single leader.
1700602367041.png
And then this picture is from May 2023 of the same burford pear, I didn't expect it to branch out this well. I cant recall if I made notches above a few of these buds to promote branches or if I just cut it back.
1700602433719.png

Hell yeah, congrats!!

That frame sure is similar to your last year giant. Think they're related, or too far apart?

That frame sure is similar to your last year giant. Think they're related, or too far apart?
They are similar, but too far apart.

Nice buck! What do you use the Aronia for?

Last edited:
It's a great antioxidant.
It’s considered a “superfood” not sure how legitimate all of the articles are, but it’s interesting to read about them. Here’s a screenshot from one articleIMG_8007.png