Invasives to Natives

gjs4

5 year old buck +
There are threads with aspects of this ....but after a bunch of searching couldn't find a cumulative one to help me road map this.

We have 15 ac of invasive junk being mulched (in southern Ohio) and don't believe the landscape was ever populated "by the good guys" here (as it appear just to be lousy strip mine cover/fill which is common for coal country). So out go the bad guys....the next generations of them will likely attempt to (re)establish fast due to decades of seed in/atop the soil. At home i'd run a disc and see what pops....not the case here.

We are looking to get some good stuff going with regard to natives- for critter cover or food. Ive got the Harper plant book and can make some guesses from there as to what forbs belong ....but not sure on grasses or plant rates or even good places to buy them? Id love ragweed, goldenrod, pokeweed....some more greenbriar, blackberry, raspberry, .....box elder, polar, willow and dogwood......and some grasses (to which i dont know whats "best"). Heck- Do I need a soil test? Ive been a deer on the bag kind of wannabe farmer for decades.....this is a whoel new space for me

Has anyone ever established good natives in an area that hasnt had them? Is this possible? Advice- Resources-Thoughts?

Thank you all and always.

You really should contact a professional to come out, walk your property, and discuss your goals with you. You could hire someone or check with the NRCS or state agency and they might do it for free. While 15 acres is not huge, it is a lot of land where things can quickly get out of hand. Experimenting may work, but it also might set you back a few years learning by trial and error. State and federal agencies also should be able to discuss possible cost share programs that will help with your efforts.

You might have to spray to kill off the regrowth.

I think you should first identify how the 15 acres fits into the rest of the surrounding property and let that help decide where you want bedding and where you want food.

Also, what is the soil like? Is it piled up overburden like a spoil bank? Is it acidic?

You really should contact a professional to come out, walk your property, and discuss your goals with you. You could hire someone or check with the NRCS or state agency and they might do it for free. While 15 acres is not huge, it is a lot of land where things can quickly get out of hand. Experimenting may work, but it also might set you back a few years learning by trial and error. State and federal agencies also should be able to discuss possible cost share programs that will help with your efforts.
I was hasty and left some important aspects out.

This is under the NRCS EQUIP program and some supplementary guidance of a Pheasants Forever grasslands biologist . Cost share is a huge part of this....as in "it wouldn't happen either." Aside from the likes of Harper, Strickland and Kroll,....I am not sure who would be a good reference with deer based desires, or perhaps I am overthinking things and should just plant native forbs and let the deer decide. That does seem/sound a bit like an experiment and agree with you, that is not territory I want to be in, nor do i want to spite my deer goals with exclusive focus on another species that has different needs.

You might have to spray to kill off the regrowth.

I think you should first identify how the 15 acres fits into the rest of the surrounding property and let that help decide where you want bedding and where you want food.

Also, what is the soil like? Is it piled up overburden like a spoil bank? Is it acidic?
Id bank on spraying....more than once

As for the layout, I have drafted approach and overall flow. Soils, sun/shade, remaining trees and uncovered topography may alter this some.

Great question on the soils. Open areas (adjacent) that I have sampled/plotted were acidic and lower with CEC. mid 5s for pH. If you're familiar with the region...its that Appalachia yellow/orange clay. :/

https://roundstoneseed.com/ I've been really impressed with their people, the amount of knowledge they have, and their seed supply. I've used them in Kentucky and Louisiana.
I cant thank you enough Ben. Theyre awesome! I think my IOU list is almost nearing a complete punch card where you get a free turkey hunt or box of ice cream sandwiches, Haha

Seems like the next 8-9 months will be removal and planting prep....will know more at that point if more of that is needed or we will transition into the planting stage at all. Im super impressed with their staff,, support and mixes. While I do suspect i will keep a BOB/standard food plot or three, their cover and browse mixes are the replacement in my mind.

I think it will take ~2+ years of disking, spraying, and eliminating around 60-80% of that seed bank.

Also surprised they would also you under the program to plant Box Elder (junk wood with no wildlife value in my opinion), blackberries, etc. I looked up the EQIP manual and the focus is on mast producing hardwoods, conifers, native warm season grasses. They dictate where you can plant and how to lay out the planting. They also control amount of what each item could be planted. The people I know who have become involved in these programs soon become frustrated as they feel they are losing control of their property and the money they get is not worth it.

What are they telling what you can plant? have they given you a plan or approved lst?

There has been zero mentioned on anything other than clearing the junk. This is (to the best of my knowledge) solely for removing invasives. Mechanical this year, herbicide over everything this fall or next spring (based on their determination on regrowth) and one more spot herbicide treatment. I am headed back to reread everything that was sent but am 95% sure there are no long term mandate mentions. But I am on high alert.

As for discing.....if i can, i am not sure the stumps and topography will lend itself well to it.

Confirmed- There is nothing in any of our correspondence on next steps, expectations, etc from the Fed side.

Tying a few threads I have on here together; This venture is to make the hunting better on this place. My wife and I love the area enough to try and vet our way into better deer hunting. Some of the other negatives appear to be changing and getting rid of the invasives and "too thick" cover should put this property in a much better direction for the critters. If not, I tried and did so with some commitment.