Interesting platform stand concept

B

BJE80

http://sapsuckerstands.com/

I kind of like the concept and idea. Being that is portable and you could get this where it would be difficult to get a box blind. Looks like it would be easy to set up as well.

I like it. Makes me want to go by a 220 welder and start building a few myself. I couldn't find a price on the ws. Any ideas? There aint much to them. Should be reasonable.

I like it. Makes me want to go by a 220 welder and start building a few myself. I couldn't find a price on the ws. Any ideas? There aint much to them. Should be reasonable.

Looks like they are just getting started. You can't even place orders yet on their website. I saw their add in the WON. I won't be buying this year but maybe next year. But I sent them an e-mail requesting a price list.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO since you have to buy the material for the legs, braces and the ladder why not go the little extra and build an enclosed blind. Your also going to have to anchor it somehow. Yea its a neat idea but I just don't see it being practical.

IMO since you have to buy the material for the legs, braces and the ladder why not go the little extra and build an enclosed blind. Your also going to have to anchor it somehow. Yea its a neat idea but I just don't see it being practical.

One reason would be is some people would rather sit in an open air stand. Sometimes when I'm hunting in a blind I just don't feel like I am able to enjoy nature as much when I am in a box.

I like an open stand but this looks alot less portable than a ladder stand or even a tri-pod stand. This simply looks like the "elevator" things you can get - just with a metal grated floor. Different option - options are good!

Anyone have a price? Seems like a fair option for some situations.

I think that you also could buy a tower platform, and ladder set up made from steel from the folks at Big Game....no? Also a set of "elevators" and your wood could be a similar option......tho the snow would pile up.

Anyone have a price? Seems like a fair option for some situations.

I think that you also could buy a tower platform, and ladder set up made from steel from the folks at Big Game....no? Also a set of "elevators" and your wood could be a similar option......tho the snow would pile up.

I e-mailed them for a price list and can share once I get it.

I e-mailed them for a price list and can share once I get it.

Hey BJE80, Did you receive a price quote? Thanks!

Hey BJE80, Did you receive a price quote? Thanks!

Nothing. ??????

I'd like to know what they are charging for one of these, then I could compare the numbers to what it would take me to make one in the shop.

Just saw their add in OD News. "Prices start at $399." Shipping nationwide via UPS. A couple of slightly different models avaialbe.....and also a ladder. See www.sapsuckerstands.com ....which shows some assembly pics.

also did a little more investigating. Seems they make a nice steel "base" for building your own box blind. Several sizes and options. Pretty nice...but a bit expensive(?) for my tastes. Check this out:http://harveyallenoutdoors.com/index.html

I checked out the website, looks like a pretty simple and sturdy build on the platform. The legs are another story, the lag bolts scare me. I've dealt with them on homebuilt stands and after a few sits, just the climbing and normal shuffling around in the stand while sitting causes most lag bolts to loosen over time. It usually doesn't take long either. A through-bolted connection would be far better in those leg pockets. Simple and easy to construct if you have a welder. Really just 1 20' length of angle iron and a half sheet of expanded metal for the main platform and the leg pockets could easily be fabricated and welded from small pieces of 3/16" steel plate with no forming or bending needed. One could cut the railing tubes at a 45 degree miter to weld the corners instead of having the radius bent corners. A guy with access to the materials could make this with nothing more than a good right angle grinding machine with a cut-off wheel, a few normal shop tools, and a welder. Having the proper tools would make for quicker work, of course, but still a very simple project for someone with a welder.

Yep. If I were a younger man.....I have an idea that could make this a really nice project for a small biz. Sometimes I still get my juices flowing on ideas like this.....but then my wife reminds me that I am retired. :D

The liability insurance can't be cheap on making those.

The liability insurance can't be cheap on making those.
Not sure. When I began to make reloading gadgets.....I really was concerned about product liability insurance. Turned out to be a non-event. Luckilly, my insurance agent knew an underwriter that was a reloader....and he understood what I was doing. Had low premiums. Ladder stuff could be different.....but there are lots of companies in the biz.....and they seem to be able to afford it.

When I sold aluminum, we sold to the Little Giant Ladder Company and a few other ladder makers. They always said they paid high product liability premiums for being in the ladder biz. Same goes for chairs......Lots of people break chairs and tip over.