In woods, perimeter plots, how far from property line?

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
This spring/winter I will be adding some food plots in strategic locations near the perimeter of my property within the woods. From the perimeter/boundary line of my property in layers it will go as follows towards the center of my property:

1. Property line
2. 5-15 yards of woods (this is done already)
3. 8' wide Access trail around perimeter (this is done already)
4. 15-20 yards from trail is my hinge cut blockade (this is done already) this is 3-5 yards wide.
5. Another 25 or so yards of woods
6. Beginning of food plot and inner property trails (this stuff is what I will be working on this winter/spring)

I would like the outside trails between plots to be straight as possible, this means the plots outermost edge should be a minimum of 68 yards from the property line through my woods. I feel this should be an adequate number that would make my plots difficult for the neighbors to hunt, especially after edge feathering and blockading etc the plots in. The woods is fairly mature and I did some

Constructive criticism and comments are appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you did hinge blockading I'm assuming you left gaps for the deer to get through? If so, having those gaps approximately 30 yards off the property line would seem to make it easy for neighbors to hunt. They'll just set up by those funnels.

A few questions to help clarify for everyone.
1) How big are the neighboring parcels next to you? Small land owners tend to hunt fence lines and any indication of a deer trail and they are all over it

2) If a neighbor gets up in a tree stand can they see over any ground cover to your intended plot. If they see it and #1 above, they will hang a stand close by

3) Your edge feathering and blockades parallel to the property line will extend well beyond the limits of your plot in each direction or not? Again if you have a couple of openings in your jungle and #1 tends to happen on the neighbors side.

I had a small plot that I maintained after some logging about 50-60 yards from the line and I disked, leveled and planted to get rid of the ruts. Lots of orange in trees during gun season for a few years. I don't plant anymore now other than mow weeds. Line hunting has moved away from there most times now.

If you did hinge blockading I'm assuming you left gaps for the deer to get through? If so, having those gaps approximately 30 yards off the property line would seem to make it easy for neighbors to hunt. They'll just set up by those funnels.

I did and that is true. I left those openings where the deer had established trails already. Those openings are placed in an area where the neighbors property funnels the deer down anyway. So to speak, the neighbors are enhancing my property, and I'm enhancing there's. Its a mutual respect, and they have noticed the changes I've made have affected the deer hunting in the immediate area and the neighbors comments they will be improving there land more this coming year. I'm happy about that for multiple reasons, but improving the habitat on additional acres only helps out the neighborhood. I was the "lucky" one this year and shot one of the bigger bucks the neighborhood was after, they didn't get one and didn't see any deer during rifle season. I was fortunate and seen deer everyday.

You take the good with the bad.

In my mind and correct me if I'm off, You either set up funnels in the interior of the property and blow everything out if you hunt it hard .... or put them on the outside of the property with good access and hunt it everyday you can wth nearly any wind direction.

If the neighbors show trigger restraint and hunt a similar style to your own, you both are helping each other out so the sum of the whole is better than the parts, hey sounds like a good situation to be in. I'm bordered with land that gets leased alot and the parties involved keep changing. Hard to work any long term plan with that.

A few questions to help clarify for everyone.
1) How big are the neighboring parcels next to you? Small land owners tend to hunt fence lines and any indication of a deer trail and they are all over it

2) If a neighbor gets up in a tree stand can they see over any ground cover to your intended plot. If they see it and #1 above, they will hang a stand close by

3) Your edge feathering and blockades parallel to the property line will extend well beyond the limits of your plot in each direction or not? Again if you have a couple of openings in your jungle and #1 tends to happen on the neighbors side.

I had a small plot that I maintained after some logging about 50-60 yards from the line and I disked, leveled and planted to get rid of the ruts. Lots of orange in trees during gun season for a few years. I don't plant anymore now other than mow weeds. Line hunting has moved away from there most times now.

The neighbors surround my property to the north and east and they have 160 acres. The 80 immediately to the west is a farm that don't hunt. To my south is the road and across that road is horse pasture for my entire length of the property; which they don't hunt.

Ok, so how many yards does one need to effectively go would you think? 100? Maybe I Should get up in a tree on the line and see for myself.

I would think that prevailing wind direction should come into play. If your plots are located downwind from line hunters, then the distance from the line may be less critical?? Not saying I'm correct, but wind direction probably comes into play.

And does your area allow high powered rifles or slug only?

SW Pa

Can't understand why you would ever place a food plot near a property line? Forget about your neighbors vision, your deer will be spooked by there activity. I have ag fields that are 200-300 yards from neighbors ag fields, seperated by rows of pines and I watch the deer watch the road that is 400-500 yards away ... because there hear noise & see activity.

You somehow figured 68 yards is a magical number ... what is that based on?

Any food plot near a fence line invites fence line sitting ... encourages deer activity ... why don't you post some info on your property, that would help.

I would think that prevailing wind direction should come into play. If your plots are located downwind from line hunters, then the distance from the line may be less critical?? Not saying I'm correct, but wind direction probably comes into play.

And does your area allow high powered rifles or slug only?

SW Pa

That makes sense. I won't be sitting upwind of a plot, ever. So if the neighbors were they wouldn't be seeing much on my property if they hunt on the line. If they shoot something coming to my plots, on there property, good for them!

We can use rifles!

Can't understand why you would ever place a food plot near a property line? Forget about your neighbors vision, your deer will be spooked by there activity. I have ag fields that are 200-300 yards from neighbors ag fields, seperated by rows of pines and I watch the deer watch the road that is 400-500 yards away ... because there hear noise & see activity.

You somehow figured 68 yards is a magical number ... what is that based on?

Any food plot near a fence line invites fence line sitting ... encourages deer activity ... why don't you post some info on your property, that would help.

My property is only 440 yards wide and 440 yards deep (40 acres), with 9 acres on the south center line sold off. So it's basically 30 acres that is an upside down U. I shot that buck this year with the neighbors saw mill fired up and him yelling over there at his son. The deer in this area don't give a rip about noise. I kicked my chair when I drew back on that buck from inside my shack, on accident obviously, with 6 deer in the plot and not a single one heard me. Me, I was freaking out that I kicked it.

If you read through my original post, I came to the conclusion that 68 yards is the minimum from the property line, based on the current work I've already done.

If I put in a 10 yard by 10 yard plot in the center of my property, I would be what,
215 yards from every side. I can't go more than 220 yards from a property line.....

I've already got 3 plots within 40 yards of the property lines on the southern half of my property, and you can't see a single one of them from the perimeter. Thank you very much tag alders. However, the woods is a different story hence why I started asking these questions Spud.

And the woods I have is a deerless area it seems. Matter of fact, in two years hunting the woods on this property from tree stands, I've only seen two deer walking through the woods. It's a freaking drag hunting it man, and I am looking to do something about it :-) .

All of my plots are on the perimeter. Probably 40 yards in on average with a network of trails on the outside and inside to create a flow from bedding to food and also for cruising bucks. The idea being that access is so much better from the outsides, and with food on the outsides the deer have pretty much the entire interior of the property for bedding and security. There are a couple very strategic stands on these cruising lanes somewhat on the interior that would only be hunted during the rut and very sparingly. On these small properties there is only so much room and if you put the food in the middle then the deer are more on the outsides. That's real bad for your access and puts the deer much closer to your neighbors. Screening these plots is essential and I've has great success with Egyptian wheat or something similar until my permanent spruce screens mature.

All of my plots are on the perimeter. Probably 40 yards in on average with a network of trails on the outside and inside to create a flow from bedding to food and also for cruising bucks. The idea being that access is so much better from the outsides, and with food on the outsides the deer have pretty much the entire interior of the property for bedding and security. There are a couple very strategic stands on these cruising lanes somewhat on the interior that would only be hunted during the rut and very sparingly. On these small properties there is only so much room and if you put the food in the middle then the deer are more on the outsides. That's real bad for your access and puts the deer much closer to your neighbors. Screening these plots is essential and I've has great success with Egyptian wheat or something similar until my permanent spruce screens mature.

Thank you Buckly that is what I was looking to hear about. How wide are your trails in between your plots. I know Steve says 28 inches or so, but it would be nice to be able to drive my little tractor between them for planting etc. my tractor is 60" wide.

It depends. I think security is the main factor. The deer seem to take to any trail you make quite quickly. If there is thick brush on each side I don't think it matters as much as if it's more open. Most of the trails are around 30" but there are spots that I use to get the tractor from one place to another so they are wide enough for the tractor. I've found a good trick to make trails through thick brush is to just use the brush hog. Really fast and in a year it has grown in to perfect width. In timber or younger trees you just try and get a path made and get some sun to it so it grows thick on the sides. It's surprising how fast they brush in. The deer will go through the plots but, they will also go around them so, creating a trail on the inside of the brush or woods around the plot is essential. You'd be surprised how many just go around it so placing your treestand at the ends of the plot can take advantage of not only the plot but the trail around the plot.

It depends. I think security is the main factor. The deer seem to take to any trail you make quite quickly. If there is thick brush on each side I don't think it matters as much as if it's more open. Most of the trails are around 30" but there are spots that I use to get the tractor from one place to another so they are wide enough for the tractor. I've found a good trick to make trails through thick brush is to just use the brush hog. Really fast and in a year it has grown in to perfect width. In timber or younger trees you just try and get a path made and get some sun to it so it grows thick on the sides. It's surprising how fast they brush in. The deer will go through the plots but, they will also go around them so, creating a trail on the inside of the brush or woods around the plot is essential. You'd be surprised how many just go around it so placing your treestand at the ends of the plot can take advantage of not only the plot but the trail around the plot.

Thanks for the hint of making the trail go around the plot. I would not have thought about that in the woods. How far off the plot, when going around it, do you make these trails? Do you make these with the brush hog also?

I've got a 5' hog that I love using as well.

I make them 10-15 yards off the plot but, I certainly try to encourage them through the plot. Some do and some don't. I edge feather all around the plot and then use a chainsaw for the trails around. It's just something I noticed several times that they go in the plot or around the plot and have no apparent reason for doing either so I take advantage of both.