Improvements to my new land

I'm still in the dark on some of the differences between lime types. I chose dolmetic lime for my sandy loam.....and it made a HUGE difference in my ability to grow stuff. I brought the PH from low 4's to 7. Incomparable differences in growth of my brasica, clover and soybeans.

I'm due for another soil analysis program this year to see where I need to go next. I got a bit lazy (and cheap) after I had my soil properly amended. Time to recheck. :)

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback and the suggestions.

You've been busy for sure. Looks good so far. I really like that trailer you have for the wheeler.

Yes, that trailer is one of the best tools I have purchased for working the land. It comes with removable outriggers and a hand crank winch for lifting heavy boulders or trees. The winch can also be hooked up to a catch on the bed of the trailer so it can be used as a du

It feels good to get some work done on land that's yours, eh Natty ?? Things are looking good so far, that's for sure !! Love to see firewood ranked up drying like that. Kind of makes winter tolerable with a cozy fire in the woodstove !! ( And knowing you have all those BTU's of heat that the utilities can't charge you for !! ) Lime will definitely make a difference for you too. It's great for plots and getting trees established. Keep us posted. ------ That hourglass plot is real cool for the " narrow " spot deer will probably cross at !! Good job.

Thanks bowsnbucks. Yes, it feels great to see the landscape changing. I got some rye down in the hourglass shaped plot a few days ago. There are also a few wild crabs on the perimeter that have some hanging apples. It will be fun to see how that plot takes shape over the next 3, 4, 5 years as the apples get more sun.

Looks great! I can't imagine that many wild apple trees, should be a lot of food with the additional sunlight. Do they have varying drop times?

Looks great! I can't imagine that many wild apple trees, should be a lot of food with the additional sunlight. Do they have varying drop times?

It's funny, because I can't imagine having oaks and acorns or ag. I have no experience whatsoever hunting deer that do anything but browse native habitat and gorge themselves on apples in the fall. I have been hunting my MIL's 150 acres since 2001 and I still continue to find apples that I did not know existed. Sometimes I find a clump of them. I'd estimate about 95 to 100 wild apples on the land. They do have varying drop times...typically they start to drop early October and drop through early Nov.

However, each year is different. Two years ago we were loaded with apples, but they all fell by the beginning of October and there was nothing to hunt over come Nov. Last year was an average year for apples, but they hung on late and did not drop until end of Nov....and by that time they were all brown, frozen, and kind of already rotted on the tree.

Don't give up hope on brown, mushy apples that have frozen. Some apples get sweeter after they've frozen - brings out the sugar. Deer will still eat them. I saw some brown, mushy apples last March on the ground near my camp and the snow had tracks all over coming in to those trees.

It looks like you're putting that Cub to good use! I love it!