If you need another reason to plant apple trees

KickapooKid#1

5 year old buck +
We started our orchard/ foot plot in 2010. South west Wisconsin. This was an old 4 acre sheep pasture with all ash trees that we took out out the past 10 years.

Attachments

• 528B08DD-2921-4B6C-9CFF-9AB7C1442C4F.jpeg
    528B08DD-2921-4B6C-9CFF-9AB7C1442C4F.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 121
  • 509DCE75-D396-4DAF-A7D1-009337780203.jpeg
    509DCE75-D396-4DAF-A7D1-009337780203.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 1C5F9665-A1B5-4EB3-BA8F-54F1BC34636F.jpeg
    1C5F9665-A1B5-4EB3-BA8F-54F1BC34636F.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 6C3F481D-0C92-441E-B5E4-7A87FE5A441C.jpeg
    6C3F481D-0C92-441E-B5E4-7A87FE5A441C.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 991C604A-9EFB-4BE5-8DE8-41056A4CDE43.jpeg
    991C604A-9EFB-4BE5-8DE8-41056A4CDE43.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 4FBEA615-4C37-451F-9D52-D8F76C431A0D.jpeg
    4FBEA615-4C37-451F-9D52-D8F76C431A0D.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 110
The majority of the edge is new and suckers from the ash stumps briar and golden rod. The deer browse on the lush young growth of the ash and take bites from the food plot and apple trees back and fourth. Interesting to see.

Nice pics. Here's my apple pic I like. It's just that this tree is on the wrong side of the road! Started removing 12" Ash that we planted in '89 to make room for more fruit trees in a new orchard.

SUNP0317.JPG

Here's a couple of videos of apple eating. Got our trees fairly cheap at a nursery 20+ yrs ago- they were unmarked, lost their tags, so who knows what kind/variety they are. Both red and yellow.

We've had both bucks and does come running full-tilt down off a hogback behind the cabin when they heard a few apples drop from one of our older trees. It was a foot race to see who got to the apples first!! One member took a 10 pt. in archery season after one such race. The deer were so predictable racing to those drops, it made the set-up easy.

Thanks for sharing! Anxious for the deer at my home orchard to start making the apples and pears a part of their feeding routine!

My first 10 trees planted in 2016 last year they put on quite few been adding to every year more and more crabapples last couple. Thanks for sharing hoping for same results !

Seeing deer eating apples in early February is pure bliss. Date is off by a few days or so-pushed wrong button when retrieving card. Hands with gloves off were too cold to fix it.
IMG_0558e.JPG

^^^^ Great result, Chainsaw. That's what we all want to see.

Thanks Bowsnbucks, it was just dumb luck that the one wild apple tree of the two thousand plus here that ended up with genes to produce late hanging apples is growing in view of our sunroom. For some reason this fall I finally SAW what has been before me for years. It was then that I decided that a property full of that tree and others like it could be grown here in fairly short order. Remembering from the old QDMA site that a lot of apple guys had congregated on this forum I came here hoping to learn about growing apple trees and have not been disappointed.

Here I heard about Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery and others that were specializing in apple trees for deer hunters. Since Blue Hill was the closest to me I told him about our special tree we call Turning Point. He asked a lot of questions and wanted to see all past and present pictures I had of the tree. He was quite excited by the pictures and the disease resistance the tree has shown especially its resistance to CAR which is on all of the cedars here. And that the tree annually sees actual temperatures to minus twenty- five and has seen minus thirty- five actual temperature was just icing on the cake. Ryan told me how rare the tree is and I told him I knew. I have walked property after property in this area checking hundreds and hundreds of trees and zero holds like old Turning Point.

Ryan’s knowledge and passion for making great deer trees came thru in every conversation we had. Ryan offered to graft some Turning Point trees for me. I accepted and offered him all of the scions he could use to create more Turning Point trees to sell throughout the deer world. He accepted my offer and though the amount of good scions I can get off the tree this year for him is limited he will be adding grafted Turning Point trees to his catalog this fall. Ryan is confident that trimming the scions off this year and by adding a little fertilizer the tree will produce many more scions next year. We are living in a great time where a good number of young wildlife enthusiasts have taken the path of running nurseries specializing in growing trees for deer and that they can take scions from the few unknown special trees out there and make them available to all of us.

Last edited:
Thanks Bowsnbucks, it was just dumb luck that the one wild apple tree of the two thousand plus here that ended up with genes to produce late hanging apples is growing in view of our sunroom. For some reason this fall I finally SAW what has been before me for years. It was then that I decided that a property full of that tree and others like it could be grown here in fairly short order. Remembering from the old QDMA site that a lot of apple guys had congregated on this forum I came here hoping to learn about growing apple trees and have not been disappointed.

Here I heard about Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery and others that were specializing in apple trees for deer hunters. Since Blue Hill was the closest to me I told him about our special tree we call Turning Point. He asked a lot of questions and wanted to see all past and present pictures I had of the tree. He was quite excited by the pictures and the disease resistance the tree has shown especially its resistance to CAR which is on all of the cedars here. And that the tree annually sees actual temperatures to minus twenty- five and has seen minus thirty- five actual temperature was just icing on the cake. Ryan told me how rare the tree is and I told him I knew. I have walked property after property in this area checking hundreds and hundreds of trees and zero holds like old Turning Point.

Ryan’s knowledge and passion for making great deer trees came thru in every conversation we had. Ryan offered to graft some Turning Point trees for me. I accepted and offered him all of the scions he could use to create more Turning Point trees to sell throughout the deer world. He accepted my offer and though the amount of good scions I can get off the tree this year for him is limited he will be adding grafted Turning Point trees to his catalog this fall. Ryan is confident that trimming the scions off this year and by adding a little fertilizer the tree will produce many more scions next year. We are living in a great time where a good number of young wildlife enthusiasts have taken the path of running nurseries specializing in growing trees for deer and that they can take scions from the few unknown special trees out there and make them available to all of us.
Thanks for sharing Chainsaw, Turning Point is a very impressive looking tree, can’t hardly wait until this fall to try and order a couple along with several other varieties that I have seen mentioned on here that I noticed Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery has on his website.

Ryan at Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery is great to work with. I am new to the fruit tree game and this forum has been a Godsend. Called him a while back and he is very knowledgeable but even more so passionate about his craft. I can't wait to get the pear trees I ordered from him and start my journey which will no doubt be lifelong. Very excited to hear that you teamed with him on the Turning Point Chainsaw! Keep the tips and stories coming, can never have enough real-life knowledge.

I cant wait to have a Turning Point or 3 planted at my place :emoji_grin:

I’ve also been interested in local crabs for the last 6 years. There are 4 on my list that will be grafted this year on p.18 and b.118. 2 from my local neighborhood in town and 2 from my neighbors farm pasture. I have 12 7 gallon root trapper bags that has work well for me in the past. Might graft a few Dolgo and chestnut for a buddy also.

I cant wait to have a Turning Point or 3 planted at my place :emoji_grin:

Thank you guys for your enthusiasm about the Turning Point tree. Here it is everything I want and more. And I feel since it grows in line with my deer management goals here that it will do the same in some other properties as well. Which properties it will work well at, I don’t have a clue. Others of you have been lucky to discover a special tree on your properties and have shared them to the deer management world. I’m simply following your lead so there will be no inflated pricing or royalty charges or anything like that for those that purchase one of the possibly special trees from Turning Point. I’m simply thrilled to think that other property owners can get at this special tree at a reasonable price to see if it is as special at their properties as it is here. Meanwhile I can’t wait to plant Big Dog here and all the other crabs whose special arrangement of genes have been made available to us thru other deer property managers.

Travelers crab and Meadows are my go to for late hangers that I will be grafting. I did drive past the mother trees yesterday and barely any fruit on meadows crab. The travelers crab still loaded with fruit.

Attachments

• 898BBAFE-4FEA-4FE3-9FD8-7A248DCFA008.jpeg
    898BBAFE-4FEA-4FE3-9FD8-7A248DCFA008.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 21
  • A8814F71-0EBC-484A-92CE-5519454EDB9B.jpeg
    A8814F71-0EBC-484A-92CE-5519454EDB9B.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 20
Travelers crab and Meadows are my go to for late hangers that I will be grafting. I did drive past the mother trees yesterday and barely any fruit on meadows crab. The travelers crab still loaded with fruit.
Tell us more. Where does it grow? Where did they come from And do they have good disease resistance?