If you have trouble with tracking.....

foggy

5 year old buck +
Last night my brother-in-law showed up at my door at about 8 PM. He had arrowed a buck and wanted my help to track it.

I'm color blind and tracking has always been a huge challenge for me......truthfully.....I am the worst tracker, as I cannot see blood. Until now.

Earlier this year I bought a 700 Lumen LED rechargeable, hand-held light (mine is a Cyclops Revo 700, and I think I paid $60 for it online). It really lights up the night!

A roll of toilet paper to mark the blood trail, my light and VIOLA.....I was tracking in the dark like never before. We had a few other lights (coleman lantern and flashlights)...but this "LED Wonder-light" is B R I G H T.....and it allows me to see the blood trail like neverbefore.

Long story short after a half-hour blood tracking job through heavy cover, the buck circled back and laid down.....and I spotted the 9 point buck lying dead about 100 yards from where he was arrowed. Was a double lung pass-thru but most of the blood was contained in the chest cavity (so we followed the relatively sparse, blood drops).

The point of my little story is that there is hope for color-blind hunters. This light has proven that there is help for guys like me who have trouble with tracking. Lightweight, reasonably compact, long-lasting, bright light. I highly recommend this product.

foggy, does this light make the blood finally stand out for a color blind person, like give it a glow or what. I am color blind bad and like you am a horrible blood trailer. I get my hunting partners if I can't find it right away.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've heard that blood glow works really good. I have some but have not had the chance to use it yet as my bow kill from last year fell within sight...
But a good light is still your #1 tool.
http://www.bloodglow.com/

foggy, does this light make the blood finally stand out for a color blind person, like give it a glow or what. I am color blind bad and like you am a horrible blood trailer. I get my hunting partners if I can't find it right away.

Thanks for the heads up.
I don't know exactly why I can identify the blood better with the high intensity light.....but I think its kinda like looking at paint defects on a wall. The high intensity light just allows you to see so much better detail and variations of different materials. I think my eye picks out the shine of the blood droplet better and recognizes the difference in the smooth texture of the blood droplet (?). I still may not be able to tell you the color of the blood (if that makes sense).

I've carried a small bottle of peroxide, but never really had any success with using it....and I have forgotten to pack it along on other occasions. I've also heard and read good things about blood-glow (and ten years ++ ago was offered to intro the product to the US market - was too busy with other stuff - duh ;) ) but have never used it.

I do know high intensity LED bright white light works for me. And....when I used regular D-cell flash lights while tracking the other night.....the difference for me was "night and day". I would have gotten no-where in tracking with the use of a regular flash light.

My BIL whom is not color blind was using his coleman lantern and a hand-held light. He always called me to confirm the blood with my light.....and I easily out-perfomed his blood tracking ability - x3. That is a "first" for me.

Last edited:
Tom-did you get the light locally and what was the cost? Maybe Mill's Fleet?

I'm glad you were able to experience the thrill of blood trailing better than you've ever been able to. I was trying to relay this phenomenon to you awhile back as I have also experienced this using very bright white led lights. It's pretty cool for a colorblind person to outrack someone with normal eyes. I'm guessing though that these lights will have no affect on tracking ability for non colorblind people. Most people wouldn't even understand what you're truly seeing but the blood appears very shiny and wet and stands out against all other backgrounds. I still don't see it as red though.

Thanks for the tip. I just passed it on to my colored blind brother. He's usually my number one stand on last blood guy.