I stumbled across this, good watch.

scott44

5 year old buck +
I stumbled across this and it's a good watch if you have a half hour from Steve. Thanks Steve!

The other guy is Dan Schmidt, editor of Deer & Deer Hunting mag. It's their weekly web talk show. I agree one can't possibly "come close to addressing any property" in that time. It's not supposed to. They just use is as another forum of ad revenue and strive to produce a show the viewers can occasionally get something they can use out of.

Deer & Deer Hunting magazine isn't weekly. They do 8ish issues a year. They have an article of mine in most of them. This year I'm going to do my best to write a comprehensive Habitat Improvement & Private Deer Management book, due August 1, with a publishing date of December. Truly doing it right will be the biggest writing challenge I've ever faced. I'll also be doing an every other week web show on management for Deer & Deer Hunting's web site (short, straight to the point 5ish min episodes) and would REALLY like to see the web site linked in the above post actually done, so it can stop being nothing but a time sucking pain in my...well, a pain. I think I'm going to cut way back on writing articles this year, to try to get all this other stuff done. I'm tentatively planning on just writing for Deer & Deer Hunting, North American Whitetail and Buckmasters this year, though I'll probably do 1 or 2 for Bow & Arrow hunting and Bowhunting World, just because they've always been good to me and I don't want to risk closing those doors.

Thanks, MO. I'm not sure if Gordon is going to give me a habitat column or not. I tried getting a hold of him a couple weeks ago, but missed him. I'm planning on following up this week.

As for the second question, I'm no doubt I'm preaching to the choir when I say you never work harder than when you work for yourself. You just find a way to make the time. That said, it sure helps a ton when your passion is your job, as it serves both in providing the income of normal jobs, while also satisfies the cravings for time spent on hobbies and/or "fun time." Sure, my normal work days are 12-16 hrs and I work every weekend my wife is stuck on a weekend shift (every other week) and more than I should when she's off, but most of my days are filled at least a few hrs of things I'd want to do on "days off" anyway. So, at least parts of many days feel like "play time" not "work time," and that makes it more than tolerable. Heck, there are many weeks when all the "work" I do seems like "play time." When you'd be willing to pay to do things you're being paid for it makes it real easy to be a workaholic.

That said, something I've been struggling with the past couple years is taking on too much and having literally no time left over. It's been an interesting transition for me. For something north of 20 years, it was constantly scrounging for more and more work, all out of fear that I'd run out of work. Somewhere along the line, that very legit concern stopped being an issue, but it took me a while to realize it and it's generally against my nature to turn down paying jobs. Long way of saying, I'm still trying to find some sort of a balance.

Steve, not sure how or why, but you just seem to not let your head swell and simply keep it between the lines! For all the egos and butt-holes out there in the hunting industry today - I'm glad you contribute here and I grossly value your opinion - one, because you have a lot of knowledge and experience, but secondly because I feel you honestly are not pushing a product or agenda - that is a very rare thing these days. I hope you continue to do what makes you happy and you don't forget about your friends here. Your common sense and back to basics mentality just really puts it all within reach - no smoke and mirrors, no slight of hand and no acting like we live in some sort of bubble or have endless resources.

P.S. - I haven't forgotten about the book bundle - just had a few bills to pay first (man kids are expensive!)

First, people need to stop deleting their posts. Heck, I was the one writing responses to the deleted posts (and why they were deleted confuses me in the first place. Luckily, I've grown used to being confused) and it took me a second to figure out why I was talking about what I had going on for no apparent reason. Some deleted posts I replied to on another thread had me scratching my head for a moment the other day, as well...Starting to feel like old age is destroying my mind enough for legit reasons. I don't need any help in that matter.

Thanks, J. I really do just try to do the stuff I want to see myself. I may not have a clue what you or anyone else wants to see in work, but I know what I want to and what I don't. So, I aim for that target. I'm an extremely harsh critic. I also have always done a ton of self analysis on who I am, my strengths and weaknesses. Take those weaknesses and mix them with being a fat old man and it becomes pretty challenging to trick yourself into believing you are God's gift to the world, and the wife is quite willing to point out when I'm being stupid, as well.

I don't know what else to say. Frankly, I think one of the most important things in life is to like the person you are. I know I have many flaws, but I wouldn't like the person I'd be if I did the things you are referring too. It's a pet peeve of mine when people in this industry do.

Not sure if MO is still here or not (hope so), but I told him I was checking with Gordon on the NAW column. It's a no go. apparently he got a good mount of interest (thanks to those here that expressed it), but I guess all new columns now are dictated by having a company sponsor one. Their ad dept and editorial septs are separate entities and the ad dept wasn't looking for a column sponsor. So, they don't have a sponsor for it. Hence, no new column.

To be honest, I'm kind of glad. Between the regular articles on it, the new web show on habitat and deer management and writing a book about it this year, I'm probably would have gotten sick of the topic, if I had a column on it as well. I'd rather never get sick of it.