All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I stand corrected.

DDC

A good 3 year old buck
I've never been a fan of cross bows but must admit I was wrong. My son practiced all summer with his mission craze only to pull a muscle in his shoulder the day before season. He could not pull his bow back and could not hide his disappointed look but I remembered that his grandpa had a cross bow. Tears changed to joy real quick and this is the result. That crossbow ate him up.

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_173205011.jpg
    IMG_20170930_173205011.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 91
That's fantastic. Congrats to the young man. Drilled him it looks like. I since have had a changing of the heart with crossbows. Originally I figured if you could pull a bow back you should hunt with that but crossbows help get more people out in the woods kids, women, older adults who otherwise wouldn't or physically can't and really that's a pretty cool thing. You and your son will always have that story... remember when you pulled that muscle and had to use grandpa's crossbow and shot that buck.... if crossbows help people create joyful experiences for friends and family then I am glad they're one of the choices in tool bag for hunting.

Congratulations to your son. He looks very happy!

X bows seem easy and I suppose once set up they are. Started using one last season. I've yet to kill a deer with it but there was an unlucky yote that came by.

I think they can be dangerous, clunky, loud as all get out and difficult to get good broad head flight out of. But once those kinks are worked out thier deadly.

I have a temporary crossbow license due to a neck injury. Yes, easier than a bow but when I see guys shooting 50-60 yards with new bows I question their disadvantage. I honestly think people would not dislike crossbows if they made a specific season for them, like muzzleloaders.

Great buck, I should have said that first. Great buck.

I'm turning 74 in a few months and have been battling MS since I was 36. I can no longer pull a bow so for 2017 it was to quit bow hunting or switch to a true crossbow. For the last 5-6 yrs I had a Hickory Creek 25" bow with their crossbow attachment which converted it into a vertical crossbow.
But to weaking of my arms from MS I can't hold a bow at arms length anymore. So I bought a Horton Storm crossbow made by Tenpoint with the Aucdraw cocking attachment. A 5 yr kid can cock it with the cranking attachment.
Never knock a crossbow because someday you may have to use one or quit bow hunting.

Frank,way to hang it there and there is nothing wrong with using a cross bow if something like that prevents you.Otherwise if it's not a medical issue I would like to see them used during firearms season.

Reactions: Tap
That is AWESOME! Congrats to you both!

My oldest son uses a crossbow, he has just never had an interest in using a compound.
Crossbows have been legal here for over three decades and haven't hurt the hunting at all, I don't get all the drama/stigma over who uses what I don't see the big advantage. My thirty year old son doesn't shoot any further or better than I do with a compound...and I can shoot quieter and am way quicker with a follow up shot.

Congrats to your son. Nice deer...that smile on your boy says it all.

Great job!!! Crossbows vs. compound will always have drama. It's no different than fly fishing for trout vs. spin fishing. As long as the user is out enjoying Gods creation, following the rules, and making ethical choices there will never be a problem. Problems are caused by people not the method of the outdoorsman.

Nice buck and one he will remember for the rest of his life.
I have medical conditions that no longer allowed me to use my Mathews solo cam. I had to get a Doctors approval to use my first crossbow in WI many years ago. The tests I had to take cost a couple hundred dollars and insurance would not cover them.
I am glad that crossbows are available as an option for anyone who wants to bow hunt in Wisconsin today.

I am too busy to argue and it doesn't accomplish anything.It was pushed through in Kansas by big money even though we allowed medical and young people to use them.I the state that actually check deer harvest it did increase harvest it may be because it's easier or because it move firearms hunters to bow season.Congrats on buck

First, Congrats on your success (the big grin) and that of your son!

There is nothing like the challenge of drawing in the presence of game and maintaining good form to execute a good shot on a deer. The thrill in unparalleled. The next best thing is a crossbow. It has the same basic ballistics as a compound bow. You still need to get up close and personal with your quarry fooling multiple senses. You still need to deal with shot angle, deer demeanor, and such. The only advantage is that you don't have to draw in the presence of game and the stock enforces shooting form for you. When you think about it, most of us hunt with a muzzleloader or modern firearm which are a fraction of the challenge of a crossbow and no one except an archery purist demeans them.

I'm a 50/50 guy now that I'm getting older. I can still use my Mathews Switchback early in the season when it is warm and the weather is good. As the season progresses, my arthritis precludes me drawing. I used to use height as one means of concealing my draw but my days of hang-on stands are behind me. I'm now limiting myself to ladder stands which are lower height and box blinds for safety reasons. These both lend themselves to a crossbow rather than a vertical bow.

I've killed enough does and young bucks with a compound bow over my lifetime that it doesn't matter much to me what tackle I use to harvest them. I actually prefer anything which increases my chances of recovery. When it comes to a mature buck, I'm sure I'll be caught with a crossbow in my hands some day when I wish I had my compound. A few years back that happened to me during muzzleloader season. I had been using my compound during both our archery and muzzleloader seasons. It was getting near the end of muzzleloader season and I wanted to put some meat in the freezer so I decided to take my muzzleloader. I ended up shooting a mature buck about 10 yards from my stand and he had no idea I was there. It would have been a chip shot with my compound.

As each year passes, I see more crossbow time in my future!

Thanks,

Jack