I should know better than planting brasicas

Bill

Administrator
Hasn't rained in a month, I'm getting napalm trail cam pics and it's been bloody hot. Check the temp stamp in the bottom right corner 119 degrees! That's in the sun but damn....

image.jpeg

Weird. Wisconsin has gotten more ran this year than normal.

The good news is if your brassicas didn't germinate, they are just laying their waiting for rain. Better late than never.

Up hear in the north, were just finishing our brassica plantings. You have plenty of time left, stay positive. Things are never quiet as bad as they seem.

as long as your fridge can maintain 38 degrees, all is not lost

as long as your fridge can maintain 38 degrees, all is not lost

This is true. :)

I havent event thought about planting brasica yet and I am several hours North of you so I wouldnt sweat it.

I won't plant my brassica until mid Aug or even labor day weekend. Brassica are hard seeds so they will last a long time and wait for the proper conditions to germinate so as long as they don't sprout and then go without water, you will get something to grow.....eventually ......once the inferno has passed.

I have been getting rain of some measure every couple of days.....been a very wet July here.

Looks like a good shot of rain Wed and Thursday down there. I'm going to try to get down tomorrow to plant brassicas so that should kill any chance of rain for sure!!!

as long as they don't sprout and then go without water,

Kinda worried about that. We may have have a small shower.

Looks like a good shot of rain Wed and Thursday down there. I'm going to try to get down tomorrow to plant brassicas so that should kill any chance of rain for sure!!!

No stay home. We need rain bad :).
I'll be there tomorrow for break on my way to Colorado.

Actually hurry. 95% chance tonight. I haven't seen those odds in 2 months. I'm 2 hours out. First thing I'm doing is checking the beets. If their the bust I think they are I'm spinning some PTT, DER and a pinch of radishes on that plot.

Kinda worried about that. We may have have a small shower.
That is the one thing I always worry about with planting too soon. You get one little pop-up shower to trigger germination and then it returns to being the Sahara for weeks on end. That's why I wait until closer to Labor day. We tend to get more regular rains come fall vs July and Aug. Except for this year....we have had a very wet July thus far here. Still doesn't mean it won't be drier than a popcorn fart here come Aug.

That is the one thing I always worry about with planting too soon. You get one little pop-up shower to trigger germination and then it returns to being the Sahara for weeks on end. That's why I wait until closer to Labor day. We tend to get more regular rains come fall vs July and Aug. Except for this year....we have had a very wet July thus far here. Still doesn't mean it won't be drier than a popcorn fart here come Aug.

Dang it j-bird you jinxed me. You had me talked out of planting brassica's today. But then 95% chances of horrible 2"/hour rain. Flash flood warnings and all. I planted in a light mist and dark scary sky..........When I finished the sun came out!!! Now my best shot is 45% at 2 AM.

Worst case I got some needed exercise.

What the heck happened to the Flash Flood Watch! I've been watching the radar all day from Indiana hoping for some rain out there.

Most brassicas are tolerant to dry conditions. Planted mine 1.5 weeks ago and it is raining now. They usually survive.

What the heck happened to the Flash Flood Watch! I've been watching the radar all day from Indiana hoping for some rain out there.

It's my fault, I planted something and even put the rain gauge out. Everything stayed up in Iowa :(.

We have flash floods warnings in my area now, but I think my farm only received light rain.

Hope you get some!

7/10's over night. I'll take it. If it helps the brassica's good. If not I'll plant something else later. But everything needs water. Heck my beans are only about 8 inches tall.

Planting mine in the morning.

7/10's over night. I'll take it. If it helps the brassica's good. If not I'll plant something else later. But everything needs water. Heck my beans are only about 8 inches tall.
I bet you get good germination since the seeds are barely covered. Days are getting shorter with some cooler nights, I bet you will not have to plant anything else. Good luck!