What to buy....tractor, utv, other....?

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
So I want to start doing some research. It seems like one machine is never enough. And neither is the bank account.

On my recently purchased property the tasks and terrain vary. I have a good trail system.

Tasks....
1. TSI aka cutting trees marked by the forestor (I have two chainsaws so cuttings is a non issue) and more importantly getting them out of the woods.

2. The ability to turn the ground over for food plots. The food plots are going to be small in size 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Some of the logging roads I’m in the process of planting and will plant in the future are NOT on level flat land by any means. They go uphill/downhill. Also turning anything around 180 degrees on these is a big factor.

3. Mowing the plots. Plots and logging roads will need to be mowed obviously for clovers or for prepping the plot (mow and turn it over etc). The trail system itself that I travel to access will need no mowing.

4. It would be nice to have the option of a bucket to haul wood or gravel for the road should it need it.

5. Ability to have a snowblade. Yeah I can use the walk behind snowblower if I have to but a blade is easier and faster for the the storms we tend to get here.

6. Storage. I will be storing any machine and implements in the garage (standard height doors). I can always put a shed in the yard but driving across the leech field doesn’t sit well with me.

Now I know a tractor bc of power and PTO is damn fantastic. And powerful. I’m just not sure how well it will do on the steep upgrades where it’ll need to go. I also know I won’t get the speed needed (safely) to pull a disc etc up and down these plot trails. I guess I could do a PTO tiller but again not sure.

A UTV (been looking at the 1100c by Kubota) also has its quirks. It’ll handle everything I need to do. Snow no problem. It’ll turn and handle better. Wood I can toss in the back. Comfort and other use like checking cams and using to haul stands etc obviously pluses. But where I’m unsure of is it’s ability via attachments etc to work the ground, mow etc.

So while I know the answer is like to give myself is get the utv, AND a tractor.....it’s not a reality. Again the terrain is NOT flat. The plots will be kept small (forestor request), and the plot trails are long and fairly narrow.

So I’m all ears. Are there enough available attachments to mow and till the ground making the utv my best choice, or should I look elsewhere. Let’s hear it!

I love my UTV and use it daily. My Rancher plowed snow better but we don’t get enough to make a difference anymore.

I love my UTV and use it daily. My Rancher plowed snow better but we don’t get enough to make a difference anymore.

I wish I could say the same. Snowblower isn’t bad. But the 100 yard long driveway simply sucks. If it weren’t for my other half and her little commuter car I wouldn’t have to clean it. My truck doesn’t care about snow.

I’ve got a Honda Pioneer 700-4. I’d buy another in a heartbeat. I’ve yet to have it stuck. I was close once but when i locked the front diff in crawled out. It was close and I didn’t want out in that mud to hook the winch up.
I borrow Dad’s tractor when I need it.

Had to check your location before responding. I buy and resell a lot of 'utility tractors'. When I see deals I buy them since so many guys think they want a small 4x4 with a tiny loader I can resell them fast for a few bucks in my pocket. Having said that I think they're a waste. No one piece of equipment will be great at everything no matter how much it's overpriced.
My recommend start would be a old ford tractor. 8n or jubilee would be ideal. Skip the bucket, it'll get in your way more than its worth. You'll be tempted by many 9ns on Craigslist for cheap, I personally have three 9n and one 2n tractors and there very useful but the 8n or jubilee is much more user friendly with live hydro. The 9 or 2 can be difficult for some users as the lift stops when foot on clutch. My personal favorite food plot working tractor is a 641 work master which is just a fancy jubilee. Parts for these old ford's are cheap and easy to find, most importantly rarely needed.
I hate tractor loaders, they're always in the way and tractors are to slow for efficient use of a loader anyways. Much better off with a separate skid steer if you need bucket work often. One other thing to keep in mind is watch for deals on a second tractor with loader and backhoe. Now again, slow but if you only have occasional need of a bucket you'd have it. I've got a case530 with hoe and bucket I think I paid 3k for. It sure is handy on the cheap.
Utvs are cool but they really get beat up when using for work. Maybe a standard atv to spray and spread seed? For the price of most decent Utvs you could buy a old ford tractor, atv and some implements.

It's really hard to disk ground with a UTV and there stupid expensive IMO. You could buy a tractor and used Japanese mini truck for the price of a new UTV.

When my Polaris side by side is spent I'm going mini truck.

I was in a similar spot just under two years ago when I bought my property. Mostly logging roads that needed to be cleared, planted, mowed etc... we’ve been working on clearing a couple small plots the last year too. I often say if I could have one do over I’d have bought a tractor instead of an ATV. But I could only get one at the time and storage is a big limiting factor for me. I ended up with an ATV, DR mower, five foot ATV disc and a four foot cultipacker. I also have a walk behind and pull spreader. There’s an old carport on my property where I store the disc and spreaders. Everything else fits in my garage. While I’d sure love a tractor it’s just not quite practical for me yet. I get by with what I have for now and don’t mind the extra work. I love the mower and the cultipacker the most. I think they’re indispensable tools.

408C89EA-256C-41F6-A828-85CC5B77CD72.jpegD454CA09-F643-4CF0-8063-5779359F2B32.jpeg3FADE374-5142-4347-B73B-CB5D5AE3168F.jpeg

So I want to start doing some research. It seems like one machine is never enough. And neither is the bank account.

On my recently purchased property the tasks and terrain vary. I have a good trail system.

Tasks....
1. TSI aka cutting trees marked by the forestor (I have two chainsaws so cuttings is a non issue) and more importantly getting them out of the woods.

2. The ability to turn the ground over for food plots. The food plots are going to be small in size 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Some of the logging roads I’m in the process of planting and will plant in the future are NOT on level flat land by any means. They go uphill/downhill. Also turning anything around 180 degrees on these is a big factor.

3. Mowing the plots. Plots and logging roads will need to be mowed obviously for clovers or for prepping the plot (mow and turn it over etc). The trail system itself that I travel to access will need no mowing.

4. It would be nice to have the option of a bucket to haul wood or gravel for the road should it need it.

5. Ability to have a snowblade. Yeah I can use the walk behind snowblower if I have to but a blade is easier and faster for the the storms we tend to get here.

6. Storage. I will be storing any machine and implements in the garage (standard height doors). I can always put a shed in the yard but driving across the leech field doesn’t sit well with me.

Now I know a tractor bc of power and PTO is damn fantastic. And powerful. I’m just not sure how well it will do on the steep upgrades where it’ll need to go. I also know I won’t get the speed needed (safely) to pull a disc etc up and down these plot trails. I guess I could do a PTO tiller but again not sure.

A UTV (been looking at the 1100c by Kubota) also has its quirks. It’ll handle everything I need to do. Snow no problem. It’ll turn and handle better. Wood I can toss in the back. Comfort and other use like checking cams and using to haul stands etc obviously pluses. But where I’m unsure of is it’s ability via attachments etc to work the ground, mow etc.

So while I know the answer is like to give myself is get the utv, AND a tractor.....it’s not a reality. Again the terrain is NOT flat. The plots will be kept small (forestor request), and the plot trails are long and fairly narrow.

So I’m all ears. Are there enough available attachments to mow and till the ground making the utv my best choice, or should I look elsewhere. Let’s hear it!

What are the 3 most critical functions you list above?

The difference between a UTV & a tractor is the difference a 2 wheel drive compact truck and a semi. Personally I think you are wasting your $$ on a UTV ... they are for show. Fast and no low end torgue, think you have serious problems with dragging a small disc.

I have had a Kawasaki Mule 4010 4x4 for 14 years. Best all around work vehicle for hauling, food plot, plowing, etc. etc.

Added a Kubota MX5800 4x4 tractor with FEL, Disc, & backhoe 3 years ago.

I still use both for very different tasks, but the Mule 4010 got me through many years of work ...

I've done the atv-mower- foodplot thing a number of years and several years ago made the jump to a JD 3038e with loader. Unbelievable how much more work I can get done... 5'tiller, post hole digger, box blade, harrow, disc. I would not be without a loader...handier than a pocket on a shirt. My total 3 acres of food plots are done in a day. I spend most of my time cutting/hauling posts and building fence. I also have a Japanese minitruck that I have had for 9 years. Would not trade it for a UTV...love the cab, heat, and bed size. If you want a UTV get it. Just remember they will roll over easier than you think on steep ground. I'm sure you will make do. But, you will get more done with a tractor. My two cents.

Based on your description of the land and your task list I would recommend a small tractor with a low center of gravity and a wide front. Like Northbound said...an old 8N or maybe a JD 420 industrial. Parts are easy to find and they are easy to work on. If you have some more cash to spend maybe something like a JD 4x4 750, 850, 950....something like that. You can always add a FEL later, or a backhoe, as your task list and your bank account grows. When I first started out 15 years ago a went with a little Farmall Cub. I had a flail mower, cultipacker, disk, plow, snow blade, etc. For plots 1/4 to 1/2 acre it was perfect. It did everything I needed it to at that time. UTV's have their place. I just thing you're going to be much happier with a tractor. Especially one that will get you going for now, but that you can grow into.

Thanks for the replies so far. HP and PTO HP.....what are your thoughts.

Look on tractorhouse and familiarize yourself with some tractors that would work for you. I always liked the Massey 35 but I have international 656 low profile industrial that has alot more horsepower now. For the price of the older tractors you can also get a UTV.Screenshot_20180304-064721.png

My vote is for a tractor. As much HP as you can afford, hopefully at least 45. 4WD and you should have no problems. Good luck!

And I forgot to add. If you get one with a loader then I would only look for 4wd. I hated going down hills with stuff in the bucket making the rear brakes useless.

Think about how big the food plots are and how many acres you are really planning on working. It is possible on small plots to have a little overkill on tractor size. My brother in law uses my JD 3038 to till his plots/large melon patch but owns big tractors.
Please, whatever you do, spend the money to get a tractor with ROPS...and wear the seatbelt.

I tend to agree with most on a tractor being most versatile. One thing I take issue with is UTV power. I have the Kubota RTV it is a 23 HP diesel and will pull darn near anything my 40 HP Kubota tractor will. I love the hydraulic bed. I like being able to load the sprayer on it. It will pull the Ferminator with the 3 pt adaptor no problem. The only thing the tractor excels in is the 3 pt mower and the bucket. Now with throw n mow a UTV with a sprayer and cultipacker maybe enough and easier to haul and you can have a little fun too. Although the Kubota RTV only goes about 18-20 mph.

I tend to agree with most on a tractor being most versatile. One thing I take issue with is UTV power. I have the Kubota RTV it is a 23 HP diesel and will pull darn near anything my 40 HP Kubota tractor will. I love the hydraulic bed. I like being able to load the sprayer on it. It will pull the Ferminator with the 3 pt adaptor no problem. The only thing the tractor excels in is the 3 pt mower and the bucket. Now with throw n mow a UTV with a sprayer and cultipacker maybe enough and easier to haul and you can have a little fun too. Although the Kubota RTV only goes about 18-20 mph.

Thanks for the reply! Which one do you have? I’m still looking at the 1100c. Also speed isnt an issue to me. The ground here (heavy rock) means I’ll be putting along in anything I end up with at 5mph.

We have a diesel gator, 2 atvs, and 4 tractors. They all have their own advantages. I like the atvs for getting around fast, spraying, and pulling a spreader for seed and fertilizer. The utv is great for hauling deer,brush, trees, etc and its easy for getting on and off for two people. If I could pick only one machine it would be our 4120 JD with a bucket. It is the most versatile and can handle almost any job. The used farm equipment is usually cheaper,bigger and better built than the equipment built for atvs/utvs. The prices of utvs are outrageous. The tractors are built to last and also hold their value. I would get a 4x4, hydro tractor with a FEL hands down with out a doubt before a utv.

You can lift a firminator with a kubota RTV I like to see that

You can lift a firminator with a kubota RTV I like to see that

I’ve seen it! The damn things pack some power for what they are