I need some general fruit tree help

j-bird

3 issues:
#1 - young dolgo crab apples (bare root planted this spring) have fruit! Do I leave it or remove the fruit.
dolgo apples.jpg

#2 - young chestnut crab apple (bare root planted this spring) attacked by jap beetles. What do I do?
jap beetle damage.jpg

#3 - I grafted some cuttings to a larger crab apple this spring and a few took. However now those that "took" seem to be showing signs of dying back. They still show signs of life, but some of it seems to be dying. Is this "normal"?
graft die back.jpg

Personally I would clip off the apples, strive for no fruit for 5.
Then spray the bugs, should recover.
No advice on the grafts

I would remove the fruit as well at least for this year. You can spray the bastards with multitude of products, I prefer liquid Sevin on young trees as it is relatively inexpensive and can be obtained locally ( unless everyone else battling them has already bought out every store!). I would cut back to just prior to the green leaves. Maybe a fire blight strike? Send us a little wider view of the tree where the graft is.

Same, nip the apples off let it put energy into making wood and hit the chestnut crab with Sevin. The Chestnut crab isn't too far gone but it will definitely be set back for this year, I've seen where trees are almost completely barren of leaves from jap beetles and they throw new leaves or new sprouts from roots. That said I've seen them killed by them too.

I thought that graft looked like a FB strike too.

I would remove the fruit as well at least for this year. You can spray the bastards with multitude of products, I prefer liquid Sevin on young trees as it is relatively inexpensive and can be obtained locally ( unless everyone else battling them has already bought out every store!). I would cut back to just prior to the green leaves. Maybe a fire blight strike? Send us a little wider view of the tree where the graft is.
You want a wider view of the graft.....what are you looking for? I will have to go get the pic - what you see is all I have at the moment. I have to go snip the fruit any way so getting the pic is fine, I just need some idea of what you are looking for to try to ensure I get what you are after. IF it is fire blight wouldn't it have affected the tree the scion came from? It came form one of my own trees and I have NOT seen anything of concern on them? The trees the scions came from are in a different area of the property however. I think I can get a hold of some Sevin. I'll hit all my trees.....damn jap beetles!

This is what fireblight typically looks like. The end of the branch will show the "shepherd hook"
fireblight_birdboxes_005.jpg

I will have to look and take a pic. I know the end is dead, but I don't recall a "hook", but again the scion is only a few inches long as well. Does it seem realistic that a tree would show FB and the tree that the scion came from is 4/10 of a mile away shows no signs? Don't ask what variety as I am not sure - another case of not listening....I didn't label my trees! I DID label the latest ones however...

Conditions could have been more favorable in the tree that you grafted to for the fire blight. Not saying it was necessarily FB just easier to see if we can see the entire graft and a little of the surrounding tree.

I looked at the grafts in question and they certainly show the "hook" so I assume it's fire blight. I will cut off the dead and see what happens. The trees the scions came from didn't show any signs that I was aware of.

Hey j-bird, don't mean to hijack your thread, but liked the title, an didn't want to start a new one for a question I had about general fruit tree help.

Plan on spraying my new trees with the latex paint/water combo this weekend.

Last year was able to find some old straight white exterior latex. This year is seems all I can find is white latex exterior paint an primer combo.

Think there are any concerns being paint an primer in one?

Hey j-bird, don't mean to hijack your thread, but liked the title, an didn't want to start a new one for a question I had about general fruit tree help.

Plan on spraying my new trees with the latex paint/water combo this weekend.

Last year was able to find some old straight white exterior latex. This year is seems all I can find is white latex exterior paint an primer combo.

Think there are any concerns being paint an primer in one?
Your fine..... may get more views and responses if you create a post about "fruit tree paint question" as it's more specific to the info your looking for.