I don't take kindly to unwelcome visitors

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I took vacation this morning to cut some limbs up, but took the Tikka and went to the blind for a while to watch for a yote. Sure enough, in about 20 minutes I spotted one over 450 yards away in the mowed hay field on my cousin's place. Not wanting to risk a miss at such a great distance I got down and ran to my gate. At this point I was 235 yards from the yote and he had turned and was moving straight away from me. I rested the rifle on the gate, aimed at his rectum and pulled the trigger.

I was shocked that the 55 grain Nosler BT went all the way through him and exited in his face. This is the same field my father has been whacking them in. When I called him he had to drive over and take a look...LOL. He has been busy and not hunted much recently but said he would be back on duty soon.

You drove that 55 gn Nosler BT all the way thru that coyote....stearn to stem??? Yowser!

That's nasty. Good shooting, did you try to call?

You drove that 55 gn Nosler BT all the way thru that coyote....stearn to stem??? Yowser!

Yes, that bullet is so explosive I wouldn't have thought about it going that far. That's what I get for thinking...lol.

That's nasty. Good shooting, did you try to call?
No, I didn't do any calling this morning. I went late and really had sawing on my mind instead of yotes. But it all just looked so right for one to come out I couldn't resist. If I had got to the gate 20 seconds later he would have been gone. I was so out of breath from running, I'm willing to admit that some luck was involved. But the crosshairs were perfect when the blast went off.

Last edited:
Friend of mine said he thought that yote was going to be blind in at least one eye:D:D

NH-have u explored trapping? With your lack of snow all winter you could get serious with the yotes and scent posts.
You must be really thick with yotes if you are having so many sightings, just posting for them.

Great shot NH!!! Those Tikkas are deadly in the right hands!

Nice job getting it done!

Thanks everyone.

dipper, my timing was just lucky on seeing one this morning. Sometimes my father puts in many hours over a few days without seeing one. This was the last one I was seeing on camera, but I know that it won't be long until more move in.

I can't run traps because of my job, but I know someone who traps for a living, and he has asked to come. I can always let him in if it looks like things are getting too bad out of hand. I don't hunt them much myself, because yote hunting is my father's favorite pastime. I generally just leave it to him, but this one had my dander up, because I had a trail cam pic of it running a bunch of deer out of my plots two nights ago. With new fawns on the ground here, I was glad to get it out of the way.

It does not pay to be a bullet catcher. Great shot.

Great shot, what are you using for a scope?

Great shot, what are you using for a scope?

Thanks. That is a Leupold. That scope is over 30 years old, but the rifle is a fairly new one.

My dad tells of his brother shooting a doe with that exact shot and the exact same results about 50 years ago.

My dad tells of his brother shooting a doe with that exact shot and the exact same results about 50 years ago.

It makes sense - especially if the bullet doesn't hit any bone on the way.

I put a 120 grain BT from a 7 Mag behind the rib cage of a quartering buck two years ago and the bullet never exited. Had to have blown up in the lungs. I know it was a bloody mess when I field dressed it.

Good sho

Is that a 22-250?

Yes, a 22-250 in a Tikka T3. It's the most accurate light rifle I have ever carried. I've had some exit holes in the sides of groundhogs that look very similar to the one above.

I put a 120 grain BT from a 7 Mag behind the rib cage of a quartering buck two years ago and the bullet never exited. Had to have blown up in the lungs. I know it was a bloody mess when I field dressed it.
Same thing happened to a buck my cousin shot w a 7mm mag. 75 broadside, the deers ribs looked like the terminators face. No penetration into the chest. The skin was peeled back and ripped apart the size of a beach ball. Bullets do funny things

Same thing happened to a buck my cousin shot w a 7mm mag. 75 broadside, the deers ribs looked like the terminators face. No penetration into the chest. The skin was peeled back and ripped apart the size of a beach ball. Bullets do funny things

I used to shoot a 264 Win Mag, and I loaded the 129 grain Hornady Interlock. That bullet is marketed as holding together well because of the interlocking ring.

I was about 75 yards from a buck that was standing broadside and looking straight at me. I shot the rib cage and he ran a few feet and collapsed.

When I got to him I noticed a little bulge in the skin on the opposite side of my entry hole. When I skinned him it was my bullet. The entire lead core was gone and the jacket was peeled back like a banana - lodged against the skin on the opposite side. Like you said - bullets can do some strange things.

Way to hit 'em, Native. Since you came in thru the back door, it can be said the yote has sh** for brains !! 22-250 is a good fast, flat-shooter. Nice job.