Hunting season is boring

I like "sitting in a tree", maybe I just like it more because I can say, "I am going to go sit in a tree.". Sounds far cooler than "I am going to go set in a box." LOL
I like feeling like I am more immersed in nature, not "walled off" from it. My brain used to scheme and dream about what I could do if the land was mine, or now the case of what I will do when I have the time and money! The times I have hunted from one of my ground blinds I have not really enjoyed it. Turkey hunting with a bow its part of the game usually, so I tolerate it. The youngest 2 kids are absolute whimps... LOL .... so now I know if they are going to spend anytime hunting it will be in a box blind. Oh well maybe some day when I am older I will appreciate the comforts of being in a box blind.

I like "sitting in a tree", maybe I just like it more because I can say, "I am going to go sit in a tree.". Sounds far cooler than "I am going to go set in a box." LOL
I like feeling like I am more immersed in nature, not "walled off" from it. My brain used to scheme and dream about what I could do if the land was mine, or now the case of what I will do when I have the time and money! The times I have hunted from one of my ground blinds I have not really enjoyed it. Turkey hunting with a bow its part of the game usually, so I tolerate it. The youngest 2 kids are absolute whimps... LOL .... so now I know if they are going to spend anytime hunting it will be in a box blind. Oh well maybe some day when I am older I will appreciate the comforts of being in a box blind.
I don't know man. I really like my box blinds on the ground. A lot of thought went into how I set mine up for slip in/slip out access and to be completely silent. I still jump in a ladder stand every once in a while, and it never seems to be quiet or graceful.

I am fortunate to have a extra doe tag.

I bring my 12/ga on the tractor while I work my new tree planting areas.
My wife requested I only shoot a barren one. I have spotted three had the drop on two, but I didnt shoot.

Had a 5x6 huge bull at 80 yards. He was on the other side of the fence………..It was the first afternoon out.

I didn’t have my elk calling stuff with me…..first afternoon on stand ……A piss poor attitude gets a guy everytime! AAAARGH!!!!

The elk hunting only takes a few hours in the morning, then I can work / hunt.

Gonna get caught up I hope this week end. I got 12 pair of cattle coming today, mowed / mulched about three acres of brome down to get ready for diggin holes.

Last edited:
Work - Hunt
Hunt - Work
Pack - Unpack

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, and fall is my favorite time of year. It's my brain that doesn't have anything to do until I can get back to working on the woods after season. Maybe I should start dating?
WARNING! Politically incorrect statement: The nice thing about dating is you get to go on the hunt, pull out your weapon, mount your trophy , and finally release it (or them:-)). It's basically catch and release!

I don’t have a single target buck on my private spots to hunt this year, so I’m already bored with it and have considered it a wash. Maybe I’ll fall plant some apple trees?

I have pictures of several great bucks on public land, but once the season starts, there’s about a 0.5% chance I encounter any of them. I’m going to keep running (cheap) trail cameras in those areas and see if I can pick up a pattern for next year.

I am already looking forward to chainsaw time this winter, and planting time early spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fall planted 17 apples/crabs last year the third week in November in Northern PA and every tree has not only survived but thrived as well!

I enjoy my quiet time on stand. If I am not real worried about shooting a deer, I read a book. Bow season, especially, is just time to be in the woods.

I am getting past the point of wanting to do more habitat work, but I might think about moving a stand for hunts a year from now.

This pretty much sums up my hunts

+55 degrees and sunny, I am sitting on the ground, or walking around
20-55 degrees, I like to sit in hang on stands
-40-20 degrees, I sit in my heated shack.
colder then -40, I watch out my back deck window.

I have never hunted at -40. I have done limited hunts at -18 to -20.

I assume you didn’t mean 40 below.

:)

WARNING! Politically incorrect statement: The nice thing about dating is you get to go on the hunt, pull out your weapon, mount your trophy , and finally release it (or them:-)). It's basically catch and release!
If you're lucky enough to get beaver, be sure to stuff it.

I blew through all of my projects for this year except -The Biggest Dig-. Had to cancel that because of the loss I took on that flail mower deal. I wish Foggy or anyone else would have warned me that that wouldn't work out.
Haaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaha. That cracks me up. How many times were you told? lol. If that is the worst lesson you have to learn the hard way.....count yourself fortunate. I think we all have had some pain from such events.

At -40.....it's survival time. Hunting in below zero weather is not fun. Same goes for high winds....which are worse IMO. I cannot remember a single hunt I have enjoyed or any degree of success with high winds or below zero temps. Especially high winds. Might as well stay in bed.

I remember one opening day back in the 80's. Super winds started at daybreak. I was sitting in a hang-on stand and trees were crashing down around me. Spooky stuff. So many branches falling I was afraid to leave. I doubt if any deer were killed that morning. Was glad to get out of the woods that day. Not a safe place to be in a windstorm.

I meant -40. I have hunted a few times in -30's, even in a heated shack, it isnt fun. The floor cracks, and snaps anytime you move, the windows fog up, and it really sucks having to clean a deer, if you unfortunate to get one when it is that cold.

I meant -40. I have hunted a few times in -30's, even in a heated shack, it isnt fun. The floor cracks, and snaps anytime you move, the windows fog up, and it really sucks having to clean a deer, if you unfortunate to get one when it is that cold.
Can't imagine -40. One time in WV it was single digits and snowing. I had a buck come in and had the bow on my knee waiting to get a shot. Finally got a shot and my bow was froze to my pants.

Especially high winds.
Those are my favorite days to stalk around the woods and find deer hunkered down around cover. Same for warmer windy and rainy days with the bow!

Work - Hunt
Hunt - Work
Pack - Unpack

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, and fall is my favorite time of year. It's my brain that doesn't have anything to do until I can get back to working on the woods after season. Maybe I should start dating?
I thought the same way but my wife says no.