Hunting season is boring

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Work - Hunt
Hunt - Work
Pack - Unpack

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, and fall is my favorite time of year. It's my brain that doesn't have anything to do until I can get back to working on the woods after season. Maybe I should start dating?

Ha! I kind of agree, at least as it relates to hunting the property where all the habitat work happens. But that is also partly because I haven't seen any bucks that excite me much on my/our properties.

Finished a MT elk hunt early last week so got a couple bonus days of hunting ND whitetails on the way home. That shit was fun! The act of figuring new areas out and making game time decisions with animals you're not familiar with is the fun part of hunting. I don't think hunting a small highly managed whitetail parcel will ever compare for me when it comes to enjoyment of the purely hunting aspect.

I've been reading a lot and listening to podcasts about trading/investing and geopolitics. I don't remember the last time I felt so mentally stimulated. Next I'm planning to start building modular trail cameras from components i can scrounge at work or buy cheap online.

Ha! I kind of agree, at least as it relates to hunting the property where all the habitat work happens. But that is also partly because I haven't seen any bucks that excite me much on my/our properties.

Finished a MT elk hunt early last week so got a couple bonus days of hunting ND whitetails on the way home. That shit was fun! The act of figuring new areas out and making game time decisions with animals you're not familiar with is the fun part of hunting. I don't think hunting a small highly managed whitetail parcel will ever compare for me when it comes to enjoyment of the purely hunting aspect.
Monday morning, I drove from Spearfish, SD to Dickinson, ND at sun up, and I couldn't believe how many whitetails, mulies, and prongers we saw in a couple hundred miles. I have no idea how you'd ever hunt them short of belly crawling up to the top of a hill to glass. Pretty sure I killed my first prairie chicken with the rental car too.

You don't spend hours in the stand thinking of habitat projects to do, making mental lists, and planning it out?

Kind of on the same lines but different... I'm never board when I hunt from the ground or a tree stand, but get board as hell and impatient if sitting in a box blind. Do you guys have this problem?

You don't spend hours in the stand thinking of habitat projects to do, making mental lists, and planning it out?

Kind of on the same lines but different... I'm never board when I hunt from the ground or a tree stand, but get board as hell and impatient if sitting in a box blind. Do you guys have this problem?
I blew through all of my projects for this year except -The Biggest Dig-. Had to cancel that because of the loss I took on that flail mower deal. I wish Foggy or anyone else would have warned me that that wouldn't work out.

I hate sitting in my elevated box blind or a ground blind...feels like i'm inside and not in nature at all. Unfortunately those are the two primary ways I'm forced to hunt the farm. I definitely don't think hunting is boring however. I'm constantly thinking of ways to tinker and improve.

I hate sitting in my elevated box blind or a ground blind...feels like i'm inside and not in nature at all. Unfortunately those are the two primary ways I'm forced to hunt the farm. I definitely don't think hunting is boring however. I'm constantly thinking of ways to tinker and improve.
Same. I also feel I can move around too much in a blind. I plan to take my son a lot more this year so blinds will be our only choice for an 8 yr old.

There's a scale for me. From most to least boring: Sitting in box blind > Sitting on ground > Sitting in treestand > hybrid still hunting where you stay in one spot for short periods of time > spot and stalk hunting or calling. I'm not used to traditional treestand whitetail hunting and having a lot of deer present so it is frequently pretty boring to me and I enjoy actively scouting, prepping stands, and habitat work more much of the time.

In Eastern ND last week I blew 2 shots at good bucks in consecutive nights while walking through corn and stepping to the edge occasionally to look for deer in the adjacent grass/cattail drainages. That was a rush. Walking through standing corn with a bow within range of the deer you're hunting is kind of a PITA but its much less boring than sitting in a blind or stand.

Last edited:
Same. I also feel I can move around too much in a blind. I plan to take my son a lot more this year so blinds will be our only choice for an 8 yr old.
Kids along with the lack of mature trees also leads me to the blind situations.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, and fall is my favorite time of year. It's my brain that doesn't have anything to do until I can get back to working on the woods after season. Maybe I should start dating?

Positives and negatives to this idea:
On one hand it sets an early precedent to how time will be spent in the fall - Hunting. On the other, you'd need time not working or hunting to actually do the dating part.

Kids along with the lack of mature trees also leads me to the blind situations.
I have stands for the weekends but through the week my wife is a principal and usually doesn't get home until late son accompanies me. I have two blinds out and will probably build a natural blind at a friends property for us this year.

Seeing deer is a big part of it too. If I'm seeing a lot or I know there is a big buck in the area it makes it a lot easier to pay attention. Cost me a nice buck one year. Went to our friends place without really knowing where I wanted to go so I just sat on the ground overlooking a bank as an observation sit. Apparently one of the neighbors was walking around because I'm in mid day dream and all of a sudden a nice buck is trotting past me at 20 yards. I ended up missing him at 40. Shouldn't have shot was pissed that I wasn't paying attention.

My property came with three new banks blinds. I will never sit in a one of them. That just isn’t hunting to me. I need to be out there and feel and hear the environment around me.

This pretty much sums up my hunts

+55 degrees and sunny, I am sitting on the ground, or walking around
20-55 degrees, I like to sit in hang on stands
-40-20 degrees, I sit in my heated shack.
colder then -40, I watch out my back deck window.

I blew through all of my projects for this year except -The Biggest Dig-. Had to cancel that because of the loss I took on that flail mower deal. I wish Foggy or anyone else would have warned me that that wouldn't work out.
I’m still upset about that.

I will say this, I wasn't at camp last weekend, and I almost can't sleep wondering how fall is progressing. It's cooling off and I got rain. There's lot to check on just around the cabin. Are the acorns used up? Has the chowdown begun on the yard and nursery plots? What's going on around the yard cams?

First sit for me is saturday afternoon. It's also my first sit near the biggest stockpile of green forage I've ever had.

I don’t have a single target buck on my private spots to hunt this year, so I’m already bored with it and have considered it a wash. Maybe I’ll fall plant some apple trees?

I have pictures of several great bucks on public land, but once the season starts, there’s about a 0.5% chance I encounter any of them. I’m going to keep running (cheap) trail cameras in those areas and see if I can pick up a pattern for next year.

I am already looking forward to chainsaw time this winter, and planting time early spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have a single target buck on my private spots to hunt this year, so I’m already bored with it and have considered it a wash. Maybe I’ll fall plant some apple trees?

I have pictures of several great bucks on public land, but once the season starts, there’s about a 0.5% chance I encounter any of them. I’m going to keep running (cheap) trail cameras in those areas and see if I can pick up a pattern for next year.

I am already looking forward to chainsaw time this winter, and planting time early spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
99% of my sits revolve around staring at the landscape thinking about projects when deer seasons over