All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hungry Voles

I have had good results around my apple trees with rodenticides containing Bromethalin and also with those containing Zinc Phosphide. I alternate between them each year. Attached is a photo from my rounds today.

I accidentally ran an experiment with rodenticide containing the Zinc Phosphide once. I left the container open in my garage. Five hours later I walked back out there and there were two dead voles on the floor. That particular rodenticide is prohibited by the State of California for use on Meadow Voles – but I don’t live there and I am not a vole hugger.
Same concept the zinc phosphide is only labeled for bait stations or bellow ground , extremely deadly on birds ,, commercial orchard use the same active ingredient and can apply much more liberally with proper license and paper trail , Zinc phosphide comes in lots of formulations and has a high odor we use bait chunks as they don't travel as much but get the job done .

Same concept the zinc phosphide is only labeled for bait stations or bellow ground

.......... above ground, the little fellas use zinc oxide for sun screen

bill