Hungry Voles

Merle Hawggard

5 year old buck +
I got up to the farm yesterday to plant a few of this years trees and prune. To my dismay I found this. Voles had tunneled below my screen and pretty much ate everything they could. The first giveaway was a 6' tree leaning in the cage.
d326c00555fa1a1e87647789cc2418de.jpg
42c19b892d928773ccd23e7cfdf3e8a6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Those dirty bastards! I've had mice issues this year for the first time myself. It's sure an uphill battle trying to help wildlife....

My best guess of how they found them is, along with a little lax weeding on my part, is the very sandy ground in this field.
The same storm system that blew down the pecan at my house, came through the farm on new year's eve.
I believe it opened up the ground around the young trees enough that the voles found fresh bark below the screen and it was on at that point.
I've since placed screen mats around the trees in this field and I'm going to stake them to hold them steady till they're larger.
I may need winterized copperheads lol.
0f25b52fe0fc7e7b123be86dd2343dcd.jpg

Those dirty bastards! I've had mice issues this year for the first time myself. It's sure an uphill battle trying to help wildlife....
That was Watts Limbertwig too. They got Ashfords and worked Black over pretty good, but it may have enough roots to make it. I took scions of all and plan on making backup trees for them.

Man that sucks.
Your plan B sounds solid...the scions not the snake!

Oh that sucks!

I found landscape fabric, landscape staples and gravel helps. I used to use wood mulch until I have voles get into it.... No issues since I switched to the gravel. Whatever you do I hope it fixes your issue. I also plant my trees in a plot so it's rather mowed...and I have a healthy population of raptors!

Merle, I hate to see it happen to you. It seems like a losing battle sometimes. If sweetgums ever become valuable something will start destroying them too.

Merle, I hate to see it happen to you. It seems like a losing battle sometimes. If sweetgums ever become valuable something will start destroying them too.
I've often wondered why nothing bothers them. We had a beaver show up on the pond last year and he cut oaks, willow, tulip poplar, and even gnawed a black locust without ever touching a sweet gum that I saw. He has since moved on to beaver Valhalla. Shouldn't have kept damming my spillway pipe up.

I've often wondered why nothing bothers them. We had a beaver show up on the pond last year and he cut oaks, willow, tulip poplar, and even gnawed a black locust without ever touching a sweet gum that I saw. He has since moved on to beaver Valhalla. Shouldn't have kept damming my spillway pipe up.

So he didn't want to chew his gum....:emoji_grin:

Sometimes a pest like that just needs to "wake up missing..."

Dang, I hate rodents!

@Merle Hawggard man does that stink! I fully understand the work that goes into this stuff, especially when it's a 1 man operation like mine. It's almost stressful just doing maintence to lose a few trees to this sort of thing is despicable. I too hate voles with a passion as they've gotten me before as well.

Merle - If you have access to limestone "fines" - also known as screenings - pile those on to a depth of about 4" all around your trees. Screenings are sharp, jagged little chips of limestone about 1/8" to 3/16" in size. I slide the aluminum window screen down into the ground about an inch first. Then, like J-bird said in post #6, put landscape fabric down next and then pile on the screenings. We cut landscape cloth 3' x 3' to 4' x 4' and cut a slit to the middle so we can slip it in close to the trunk. I like to use landscape staples to hold the cloth together at the slit. Then we pile screenings to 4" deep to cover the entire piece of landscape cloth. This buries the window screen 4" below the top of the limestone screenings and makes it very, very difficult for mice and voles to tunnel in to the trunk to chew. Besides being sharp and jagged, the limestone chips collapse in on any tunneling activity, ruining the little b-tards' efforts. We have both mice and voles and haven't had a problem with this method. The sharpness of the limestone chips seems to be a big deterrent. They'll tear up their feet trying to dig in them.

To make this go easy & quicker, we have everything ready in advance of planting. Limestone in the back of a pick-up truck, window screens cut to size and ready, landscape staples, regular stapler to close the window screen, landscape cloth cut to size, etc. Then it goes pretty quick when planting. This system seems to keep weeds down to a minimum too, giving young trees a boost with no weed competition.

Merle - If you have access to limestone "fines" - also known as screenings - pile those on to a depth of about 4" all around your trees. Screenings are sharp, jagged little chips of limestone about 1/8" to 3/16" in size. I slide the aluminum window screen down into the ground about an inch first. Then, like J-bird said in post #6, put landscape fabric down next and then pile on the screenings. We cut landscape cloth 3' x 3' to 4' x 4' and cut a slit to the middle so we can slip it in close to the trunk. I like to use landscape staples to hold the cloth together at the slit. Then we pile screenings to 4" deep to cover the entire piece of landscape cloth. This buries the window screen 4" below the top of the limestone screenings and makes it very, very difficult for mice and voles to tunnel in to the trunk to chew. Besides being sharp and jagged, the limestone chips collapse in on any tunneling activity, ruining the little b-tards' efforts. We have both mice and voles and haven't had a problem with this method. The sharpness of the limestone chips seems to be a big deterrent. They'll tear up their feet trying to dig in them.

To make this go easy & quicker, we have everything ready in advance of planting. Limestone in the back of a pick-up truck, window screens cut to size and ready, landscape staples, regular stapler to close the window screen, landscape cloth cut to size, etc. Then it goes pretty quick when planting. This system seems to keep weeds down to a minimum too, giving young trees a boost with no weed competition.
Thanks Bows! I'll try that as I replant the empty spaces in this hillside. At least for now it's the only one I've had trouble with. That being said, I did put down pea gravel on the previous years trees. Not sure if it helped, but it may have hindered the gnawing demons enough to keep them off these.

Apply bait is the only way , to protect off target , put bait in 2inch pvc about 1 ft long keeps bait out of weather and away from birds ect , for bait use any product from local farm supply labeled for voles many different products out there , Most guys protect what they can see with guards but its the underground damage that knocks the crap out of trees . in the north here some guys will say it was winter damage in reality the tree never had a chance .

Cats, cats, and more cats. We have a couple horses and a big horse barn. The wife is deathly afraid of snakes, so she's loaded up on barn cats. Think we have 12 right now, after she kept all from the last litter of 7. They are amazing hunters, and put quite a dent in the local vole, mole and chipmunk population. They even get an adult rabbit a couple times each year. Squirrels must be the smart ones as they avoid our place like the plague. Just wish the cats would leave the barn swallows alone.

I feel your pain, I planted two trees that I grew from seed, then grafted to liberty and cortland on a property that I have permission to hunt, the woman that owns the ground was fine with me planting the trees, I checked on them in late season and one had damage above the ground but both are very loose in the ground, it's a shame, but I never made it over to weed around the trees all year, so I'm to blame i guess, these were 3 year old roots, 2 year old grafts, and grew like crazy.
bbcee18b83a73ad581d0be742a5b39fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I have had good results around my apple trees with rodenticides containing Bromethalin and also with those containing Zinc Phosphide. I alternate between them each year. Attached is a photo from my rounds today.

Last edited:
Have heard one pair in the spring equals several thousand the following fall , By then the young of the young are have litters

Poor Sand - What is the name of that product with the zinc phosphide & the dead voles ?? And is that black container part of the original product, or just something you put the product in for storage ??

The black plastic bait stations are sold separately.

Last edited: