How to use this?

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Got this for free to pull behind my ATV for some small food plots. I'm not sure how to hook it up (chain it?) Just curious if anyone knows the name of this so that I can look up how to use it....

Attachments

• fp.jpeg
    fp.jpeg
    869 KB · Views: 92
It's a spring tooth harrow, you can use it for light soil disturbing and covering seed after broadcasting it. You should be able to adjust the depth of the teeth with that lever.

It's called a spring tooth harrow. The lever should allow you to engage the teeth into the ground. Push the lever to the rear and the teeth will/should roll back and dig into the ground. You can use it as a drag or dig with the teeth. You'll probably need a chain or rope attached to the front to pull it with.

Thank you for the quick response. Would I just connect it via a chain? It was passed down through a couple of people and as I understand it, they chained it to the hitch somehow and had someone stand on the back to weigh it down...

Yes a chunk of chain will work, I've seen people use logs, cinder blocks whatever for extra weight.

Great thanks guys!

You do realize that all the teeth are missing, right? Not that it isn't still a helpful tool, but it'll work better with new teeth. They are available. Either new or go to an implement junk yard and find some.
That reminds me, I have a bunch of teeth missing on my culti-mulcher...gotta get around to fixing them one of these days.

We just used one this weekend. He had a piece of cable wrapped around the frame to pull it. Not exactly a precision piece of equipment, but it doesn't need to be.

I second scott on the weight thing

You do realize that all the teeth are missing, right? Not that it isn't still a helpful tool, but it'll work better with new teeth. They are available. Either new or go to an implement junk yard and find some.
That reminds me, I have a bunch of teeth missing on my culti-mulcher...gotta get around to fixing them one of these days.

Did not know that! Are they universal? Would something like this work? https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/os...MI0svJo-aA3QIVSJyzCh3ulQy8EAQYAyABEgL68PD_BwE

Did not know that! Are they universal? Would something like this work? https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/os...MI0svJo-aA3QIVSJyzCh3ulQy8EAQYAyABEgL68PD_BwE
Probably would work. I doubt they are universal, though. Not all implements are created equal. A cat 0 implement won't have the same beef as a cat 2 implement, for example.
Make sure the width of the new teeth are at least as wide as the tine you attach it to. You want the hardened teeth to take the abuse.
Also, remember that you won't be able to back that harrow up. If you need to back into the tight spaces of micro plots like some of us grow, you will need to address that, so take that under advisement before you add a lot of weight.

We just used one this weekend. He had a piece of cable wrapped around the frame to pull it. Not exactly a precision piece of equipment, but it doesn't need to be.

I second scott on the weight thing
great thanks, will do that for sure.

just push the lever all the way down and see how much they will dig in. For light soil work it might be fine as is.

just push the lever all the way down and see how much they will dig in. For light soil work it might be fine as is.
Thanks I'll try it out this weekend. It was previously worked land that I set aside for a food plot. Killed off the growth from this year and will try working it this weekend. I'll report back!

I have one just like that! I don't use mine anymore after I got my tractor. They work pretty good to scrap things up and to help cover seed also. Yours looks to be in better shape. I never cranked the tines all the way down, just adjusted until the tines would be down 2 or 3 inches and it worked well. The more passes you make the more it breaks things up. Works for knocking down and busting up any clumps or high spots too. Stay away from bed springs and tree roots(don't ask!). Enjoy.

Well gave it a try this weekend. Aside from getting clogged frequently with the grasses and weeds that I had killed off, it did a pretty good job. If I could have burned off the debris I think it would have been much better. Surprised it didn’t fall apart using it, but did the job!

Attachments

• FEB86781-25B2-42C7-9A3F-DEF0699F1692.jpeg
    FEB86781-25B2-42C7-9A3F-DEF0699F1692.jpeg
    737.9 KB · Views: 31
  • D210889E-7C81-431E-8C12-E278EAD91763.jpeg
    D210889E-7C81-431E-8C12-E278EAD91763.jpeg
    850.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 8077F063-739D-4B0F-A4B5-BF8A1704D63E.jpeg
    8077F063-739D-4B0F-A4B5-BF8A1704D63E.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 32
  • E799AEE5-F0F7-421F-9E0D-C03A4AF95D58.jpeg
    E799AEE5-F0F7-421F-9E0D-C03A4AF95D58.jpeg